• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

This is the goal. Romero makes a failed tackle, its a calculated gamble, we have bodies around and no imminent threat.

Dier actually sees the threat and proceeds to the near post but can't get there on time.

Alternatively he could have run to the centre of goal to get more time to reach the ball, alao being aware that there was no threat in front of him; conversely he didn't appreciate the fact there could be threat behind him... Blocking space at the same time would be a better choice.

Clean ball put through CB and keeper... Its a good move but I have two issues with Dier... (1) he needs to close down the area not leave it invitingly open (2) decision making... Going to behind loris would have been the correct line to take

Dier is slow, very simple weakness to exploit. Easy fix is what Nuno has implemented... Dropping the midfield deep to help with the CBs. With Romero, upgrading on Dier with a proper average PL CB would be affordable and immediately effective.

View attachment 12858View attachment 12859View attachment 12860

Sent from my SM-G998B using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
The issue with what you have highlighted here is a fast hit pass can move quicker than a person can run
Also the defender has to cover multiple directions whereas the attacker has one direction to focus on
It’s why attackers have an advantage with GHod crosses as we saw with our goal

This is the goal. Romero makes a failed tackle, its a calculated gamble, we have bodies around and no imminent threat.

Dier actually sees the threat and proceeds to the near post but can't get there on time.

Alternatively he could have run to the centre of goal to get more time to reach the ball, alao being aware that there was no threat in front of him; conversely he didn't appreciate the fact there could be threat behind him... Blocking space at the same time would be a better choice.

Clean ball put through CB and keeper... Its a good move but I have two issues with Dier... (1) he needs to close down the area not leave it invitingly open (2) decision making... Going to behind loris would have been the correct line to take

Dier is slow, very simple weakness to exploit. Easy fix is what Nuno has implemented... Dropping the midfield deep to help with the CBs. With Romero, upgrading on Dier with a proper average PL CB would be affordable and immediately effective.

View attachment 12858View attachment 12859View attachment 12860

Sent from my SM-G998B using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Skipp and PEH mess up in a 2v1. Romero is first too deep and then charges out with a stupid tackle leaving a big space in the defence.
Saying Dier should've gone behind Lloris is totally wrong. He went to where he should've gone, maybe he should've been a yard deeper to cut out the cross.
If he went the way you say, behind Lloris, the forward would've got there in front of Lloris or the odds of an own goal increase a lot trying to tackle in the middle of the goal.
Also, if Emerson is beaten then he wouldn't have been able to get across to defend the winger coming in 1 on 1 with Lloris.

Thought he had a good game, would like to see him or Rodon as a partner for Romero as think they complement his front foot approach.

There was one incident where he let the ball bounce that I thought he could have avoided but also think he sent Son away with a nice ball over the top. The goal had 3 or 4 points of failure so don’t blame him for that.

I thought he was finished for us so hope he continues to prove me wrong!

Dier had a very good game yesterday, and credit due. Could he have done better for the goal? Possibly, maybe. But the goal could have been prevented at a number of situations, starting from the first loss off possession, and it all developed rather quick. Sort of the old "Get it right, and you're accused of just standing in the path of the ball with your big frame, get it wrong and you've proved that you're brick."

Romero was equally good, but as observed above, occationally he was slightly behind the line, other times he was ahead of it, making challenges. Nothing wrong with that, as long as it is calculated and done properly.

I hope Romero and Dier can continue to build a solid relationship, and become our next Jan&Toby. Clearly defined primary tasks, faith in each others abilities, and complete knowledge of each others weaknesses.
If an upgrade is available, I'd take that too... :)

oh, completely forgot, also observed that Dier was clenching/unclenching his fists and shaking his hands, almost as if he had carpal tunnel syndrome, and then rubbing his neck and shaking his head. If he is carrying a neck injury causing nerve-issues in his arms it would explain a bit...

Skipp and PEH mess up in a 2v1. Romero is first too deep and then charges out with a stupid tackle leaving a big space in the defence.
Saying Dier should've gone behind Lloris is totally wrong. He went to where he should've gone, maybe he should've been a yard deeper to cut out the cross.
If he went the way you say, behind Lloris, the forward would've got there in front of Lloris or the odds of an own goal increase a lot trying to tackle in the middle of the goal.
Also, if Emerson is beaten then he wouldn't have been able to get across to defend the winger coming in 1 on 1 with Lloris.
Tackle from Romero obviously ends up being "stupid" when he doesn't get to the ball and is left on the ground out of position.

It would have been a dangerous situation regardless, Villa running at our defenders with no protection. Ends up being worse when Romero goes for it and misses, but for every time he's late to that one there will hopefully be several where he wins the ball, sometimes even launching an attack of our own.

Too much back foot, stay in position type defending causes other issues. Romero is very good at winning the ball through aggression. Will make more "stupid" tackles like that one. I see that as a positive as long as it ends up being a good tackle often enough.

We may be in perfect agreement. Just wanted to add to your description. We definitely agree on that being a difficult situation for Dier.

Tackle from Romero obviously ends up being "stupid" when he doesn't get to the ball and is left on the ground out of position.

It would have been a dangerous situation regardless, Villa running at our defenders with no protection. Ends up being worse when Romero goes for it and misses, but for every time he's late to that one there will hopefully be several where he wins the ball, sometimes even launching an attack of our own.

Too much back foot, stay in position type defending causes other issues. Romero is very good at winning the ball through aggression. Will make more "stupid" tackles like that one. I see that as a positive as long as it ends up being a good tackle often enough.

We may be in perfect agreement. Just wanted to add to your description. We definitely agree on that being a difficult situation for Dier.
Thought it was a poor decision from Romero, he was rushing out and stretching into a tackle he was unlikely to win.
He would've been better off staying on his feet and trying to slow down the attack. On balance though his front foot defending
will improve us. Remember we have two new defenders and all are still learning about each other.
Overall the defence is the one part of the team that seems to be improving and I'm happy with and I didn't expect
that at the start of the season.

Thought it was a poor decision from Romero, he was rushing out and stretching into a tackle he was unlikely to win.
He would've been better off staying on his feet and trying to slow down the attack. On balance though his front foot defending
will improve us. Remember we have two new defenders and all are still learning about each other.
Overall the defence is the one part of the team that seems to be improving and I'm happy with and I didn't expect

9 out of 10 he either wins the ball or gives away a foul giving us a chance to regroup, the real problem started with the advantage.
Ref blows the whistle and books romero then he's a hero taking one for the team.
Unlucky.

What's the difference between a poor decision and a great decision there? Fraction of a second?

Can't expect him to never get those wrong without being a lot more cautious and less aggressive.

I guess calling it a poor decision when he doesn't get the ball and a great decision when he wins it is fine. But to me we should look at a somewhat larger sample size and see if he wins the ball with a high enough frequency or not. Accepting the times he doesn't as the downside to his style of play.

If he's 90% certain of getting the ball should he go for it? 80%? 70%? Or should he only go for that kind of challenge if he thinks he'll win it every time?

With time I would expect him to make overall better decisions. But honing those instincts further will take time.

I think its harsh to blame Dier for that goal ( lots of good reasons posted above), lets be honest if we are hyper critical we can find fault in nearly every game of the goals that are scored by all teams. I think there is a lot of potential in the pairing of Romero and Dier. The more they play as together the better is should become.

Romero took out one player, so both teams had a player down.
Dier observations are valid but I would say this doesn't happen at source if Romero isnt a yard behind everyone else. If he'd squeezed up the LWB is offside or has to check his run and doesn't get in behind.

So many moving parts to a defence and lots of little faults can result in goals/chances.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Dier was clenching/unclenching his fists and shaking his hands, almost as if he had carpal tunnel syndrome, and then rubbing his neck and shaking his head. If he is carrying a neck injury causing nerve-issues in his arms it would explain a bit...

He jumped to clear a ball off the nearside of the pitch and landed with really straight legs and spine and you could see it immediately sent a sharp shock through his body.
He grasped his neck and flexed his back and shoulders and hands and was trying to release the tension/spasm it caused, all quite strange.
As you say it clearly affected him quite a lot, that landing, he was walking around grimacing and flexing his hands.
Proof that the nervous system is all linked through the spine into the brain.

Romero took out one player, so both teams had a player down.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Romero causes the action to unfold with a mistimed animal tackle that misses. That’s fine. He will win most of them, and we have wanted a frontfoot aggressor for years. Dier is learning to partner him and play with Royal. He barely put a foot wrong yesterday, not only that, he led. He was a leader!!! Cajoling, shouting, encouraging. He was really good IMO, as he generally has been this season.

Would anypne prefer it was Rodon that started alongside Romero?
If so, can you detail your reasons?
Have at times in the past. Think Rodon has deserved more chances than he's gotten so far given the performances of players that have gotten a lot more game time.

Dier has looked good this season though. Him and Romero looked good together against Villa. For now I think it's Romero as a clear first choice and Dier as his partner unless he starts performing worse or Rodon does something to force his way into the team.

Have at times in the past. Think Rodon has deserved more chances than he's gotten so far given the performances of players that have gotten a lot more game time.

Dier has looked good this season though. Him and Romero looked good together against Villa. For now I think it's Romero as a clear first choice and Dier as his partner unless he starts performing worse or Rodon does something to force his way into the team.
Have to agree with your first paragraph.
Still worried about Dier though especially last match v Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Too error prone in my opinion

Back