• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Some of the abuse Ade gets really makes me cringe. It's fine to criticise bad performances and I was tinkled off as anyone at some of the misses like away at West Ham for example, but Ade seems to cop abuse even when he has played pretty well, certainly no worse than the team collectively and yet for some reason he gets disproportionately more criticism. It's not fair and it's quite sad.

=D> I find it quite depressing the abuse one of OUR players gets. There have been several players over the years that I haven't rated but whilst they play for Spurs I have supported them. It doesn't matter how well Ade plays, he is the new Jenas.

no one is saying you cant criticize him, you're just getting pulled up when you start basing your opinion on conjecture

No I'm not. Look I don't see the problem. I have never sung that awful Elephant song, I have never abused him at the lane. However I have every right to be angry at a player who despite being well rewarded has let us down this season, especially when we need him. And no running around like a headless chicken on the wings does not count for me.

=D>

=D> I find it quite depressing the abuse one of OUR players gets. There have been several players over the years that I haven't rated but whilst they play for Spurs I have supported them. It doesn't matter how well Ade plays, he is the new Jenas.

Surely what is more depressing is a player, probably one of the club's top earners (I'm sure the conjecture police will pull me up on that one) who can't trap the ball and has a shot with the kind of power my 83 year old granny could just about muster. Add to that early in the season Steff, (who obviously works or has contacts in the club) was telling us he had an attitude with AVB when he wasn't playing ahead of defoe . He is not a youth player, he has been signed as one of our senior players whose supposed to lead by example. The club supported him, rightly, through the "will he or won't he" go to ACN saga. It's time for him to pay the club back with some match winning performances that he's supposed to be capable of. BTW I rarely criticise OUR players and never slagged Jenas off.

Last edited:
Last season we managed to create 6 or 7 chances a game for Ade, from which he managed a goal every other game. This season we're creating 1 or 2 chances for him and everyone seems surprised that he not scoring.
Ade isn't a very good striker, never has been, never will be. If you want 20 goals from him, you need to create 140 chances for him.

Surely what is more depressing is a player, probably one of the club's top earners (I'm sure the conjecture police will pull me up on that one) who can't trap the ball and has a shot with the kind of power my 83 year old granny could just about muster. Add to that early in the season Steff, (who obviously works or has contacts in the club) was telling us he had an attitude with AVB when he wasn't playing ahead of defoe . He is not a youth player, he has been signed as one of our senior players whose supposed to lead by example. The club supported him, rightly, through the "will he or won't he" go to ACN saga. It's time for him to pay the club back with some match winning performances that he's supposed to be capable of. BTW I rarely criticise OUR players and never slagged Jenas off.

It will be fascinating to see what happens in the summer. Indeed he was not first choice and there was a behind-the-scenes argument which resulted in him getting a dressing down, but AVB has had to work with him and make him work in our side as best he can, both have got on with it albeit Adebayor is absolutely shot of confidence and is absolutely a confidence 'love me' player, but IF we DON'T make it to the CL, you have to wonder what it will mean?

No I'm not. Look I don't see the problem. I have never sung that awful Elephant song, I have never abused him at the lane. However I have every right to be angry at a player who despite being well rewarded has let us down this season, especially when we need him. And no running around like a headless chicken on the wings does not count for me.

Someone has to stretch the play high/wide if we have no wingers... It has been abundantly clear than none of Sig, Holtby or Dempsey are suited to playing out wide, although Sig has shown a bit of promise.

More penetrating runs from the CMs/incoming 'wide' midfielders would make better use of this movement, as would more creativity from deep, unfortunately our stagnant midfield coupled with Ade's poor conversion rate has meant we've been impotent in front of goal.

This is why Bale is a threat in the middle, we have no-one else as willing or capable to hunt goals as him. In his absence we need the entirety of our midfield to chip in goals through central runs and resultant poaching/shots from the edge of the area. Sigurdsson has scored a couple of back-post tap-ins after the keeper has spilled the ball, and nearly got one against Basel, and Dempsey is always a pest and a goal threat as he showed in that game. Holtby has yet to prove himself in this regard though, and Dembele seems genuinely scared of shooting, although is dangerous when he picks his moment. Parker still hasn't got a goal for us, yet he has had a comparatively decent scoring record at his other clubs.

I think Adebayor going wide is a deliberate tactical move as it both suits his game and that of our current 'wide' midfielders. Obviously he gets less chances to score as a result, and as a relatively poor finisher, can go several games without a goal. There should be more criticism of our midfielders for not stepping up to the plate and attacking the space he vacates..

Could also do with more minutes for Carroll/Huddlestone. It is a given that Adebayor is not a goalscorer, so it is up to AVB and the team to get around that fact and utilise his strengths to create goals for the team.

I do feel for Ade. He was poor in the first part of the season, but I often come on here after a match and see abuse he gets from certain quarters and just feel like I've watched a different game to some people. The most obvious one being the Everton game where he was quite clearly quality. He's a good player, just not a good finisher. I think people also massively exaggerate his ball control, there have been times where his touch as been poor but in general it really hasn't been that bad at all. I just don't get it....

Someone has to stretch the play high/wide if we have no wingers... It has been abundantly clear than none of Sig, Holtby or Dempsey are suited to playing out wide, although Sig has shown a bit of promise.

More penetrating runs from the CMs/incoming 'wide' midfielders would make better use of this movement, as would more creativity from deep, unfortunately our stagnant midfield coupled with Ade's poor conversion rate has meant we've been impotent in front of goal.

This is why Bale is a threat in the middle, we have no-one else as willing or capable to hunt goals as him. In his absence we need the entirety of our midfield to chip in goals through central runs and resultant poaching/shots from the edge of the area. Sigurdsson has scored a couple of back-post tap-ins after the keeper has spilled the ball, and nearly got one against Basel, and Dempsey is always a pest and a goal threat as he showed in that game. Holtby has yet to prove himself in this regard though, and Dembele seems genuinely scared of shooting, although is dangerous when he picks his moment. Parker still hasn't got a goal for us, yet he has had a comparatively decent scoring record at his other clubs.

I think Adebayor going wide is a deliberate tactical move as it both suits his game and that of our current 'wide' midfielders. Obviously he gets less chances to score as a result, and as a relatively poor finisher, can go several games without a goal. There should be more criticism of our midfielders for not stepping up to the plate and attacking the space he vacates..

Point taken. We still don't get enough goals from midfield. I was hoping Sig would be that man, but hasn't been the case so far. I realise it puts even more pressure on Ade to score because the midfield don't chip in with enough goals, as a striker I know that isn't nice. Still doesn't excuse his poor tally.

I do feel for Ade. He was poor in the first part of the season, but I often come on here after a match and see abuse he gets from certain quarters and just feel like I've watched a different game to some people. The most obvious one being the Everton game where he was quite clearly quality. He's a good player, just not a good finisher. I think people also massively exaggerate his ball control, there have been times where his touch as been poor but in general it really hasn't been that bad at all. I just don't get it....

The worst is 'he's a lazy cvnt'. He runs so much every game. Admittedly he seems to live offside which doesn't help...

I know, at first I thought the reference to him being lazy was some sort of in house joke....

Like Berbatov he has that kind of body language. Wayne Rooney is someone that actually runs around like a headless chicken. The appearance of effort is overrated, the amount of running someone does is not important if it serves little to no purpose.

Like Berbatov he has that kind of body language. Wayne Rooney is someone that actually runs around like a headless chicken. The appearance of effort is overrated, the amount of running someone does is not important if it serves little to no purpose.

:eek:

I don't get this attitude. I personally don't rate Danny Welbeck for example, but I appreciate his work rate and you do need at least SOME players in your squad like that. I once remember someone on GG calling Tevez a headless chicken, beggars belief really.

Thats fine, what I was getting at was that constructive criticism and discussion on the board is fine but i don't like the abuse and vitriol thrown at any of our players, there is no need.
Now with some fans on his back in the ground and the press taking the tinkle over the penalty miss I can only see it having a worse effect, we can only hope he uses it as motivation.

:eek:

I don't get this attitude. I personally don't rate Danny Welbeck for example, but I appreciate his work rate and you do need at least SOME players in your squad like that. I once remember someone on GG calling Tevez a headless chicken, beggars belief really.

All players at this level put in a lot of running. I don't rate anyone any higher because you see them run around a lot chasing lost causes. I'd rather they saved that for when it's needed than risk being knackered at 70 minutes. No amount of running will compensate for lack of ability, but it can work the other way around in some cases .

I don't want to get into the semantics of this, but I don't understand those are happy with a lesser player in the team because he tries hard. But then again, why doesn't Dempsey get any appreciation. Ade gets hate for not trying, Dempsey gets hate for not being skillful enough (basically for not being VDV).

All players at this level put in a lot of running. I don't rate anyone any higher because you see them run around a lot chasing lost causes. I'd rather they saved that for when it's needed than risk being knackered at 70 minutes. No amount of running will compensate for lack of ability, but it can work the other way around in some cases .

I don't want to get into the semantics of this, but I don't understand those are happy with a lesser player in the team because he tries hard. But then again, why doesn't Dempsey get any appreciation. Ade gets hate for not trying, Dempsey gets hate for not being skillful enough (basically for not being VDV).

What I'm saying is, why isn't it possible to be both talented and to try hard like Tevez for example? Of course I would rate ability over workrate but I don't like it when people just dismiss it and make excuses for talented players that don't try. You do need to dig in occassionally, especially in away games. There is no way teams like Man United would win title afetr title simply with great players, hence why he rowed Berbatov out. Messi didn't get where he was solely on ability, although it does help of course.

Yes, you can have both, but just because someone gives you the impression of not trying due to a relaxed body language, a smirk on his face or not chasing down a ball they have no chance of reaching doesn't mean that they aren't trying or don't actually care. People are different and have different ways of both acting and reacting.

I just don't get impressed by someone making a big deal out of running around, trying to look like they're trying harder than everyone else.

Back