• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Quite a few teams that would pay the kind of wages we pay him I think. Not many he would go to though I would imagine.

Well, Stoke are apparently planning a rebuilding this summer. Third highest net spenders the last few season and they've been most kind to us. Everton too have suddenly realized what most of us already knew, they have a lot of old players. Jelavic is out of favour at the moment. Sunderland will be an interesting watch, but not sure how much more their owner is willing to throw away.

Reading will go down, but they did stump up a lot of money for Pogrebnyak. See, we could have done worse.

I struggle to think of a club in the Premier League that could afford him, that would want him and that he would move to.

Could see quite a few clubs outside England being interested though.

Liverpool, Stoke, QPR, West Ham, Fulham, Sunderland.
TV money goes up next year and everyone will be out to spend it on a striker.
100k really isnt that much anyone. Not everyone has a strict maximum wage policy like us.

100k really isnt that much anyone. Not everyone has a strict maximum wage policy like us.

Two of those teams probably won't even be in the premier league next season.

I think it's abroad (somehwere like Russia) or nothing.

speaking of the difference between ade this yr and last, got the chance to watch some replays of last season and their is one major difference and it pains me to say it, Modric. His speed of release put ade through a lot, and a lot of his goals were stared through him and opening up the defence. We have no player like that now, so he is playing a lot more with his back to the goal or out wide to receive the ball.

Guess it shows the impact one player can have on a whole team dynamic, and even with Bale being super powered this season, we have never replaced it.

I've been trying to make this point repeatedly, in general, about our play this season. Which is why, in respect of the above, you have to give AVB immense credit for getting us where we are this season and is why Adebayor has been deployed more as a 'space-creating drifting forward' than a 'striker'...

speaking of the difference between ade this yr and last, got the chance to watch some replays of last season and their is one major difference and it pains me to say it, Modric. His speed of release put ade through a lot, and a lot of his goals were stared through him and opening up the defence. We have no player like that now, so he is playing a lot more with his back to the goal or out wide to receive the ball.

Guess it shows the impact one player can have on a whole team dynamic, and even with Bale being super powered this season, we have never replaced it.

Well Modric and VdV, as both had the ability to play defence splitting passes which no one in the current first team can do with any consistency (with Huddlestone and Carroll only being used sparingly).

Hence why Bale has thrived as we have relied heavily upon long range shots this season (61% of our attempts on goal have been from outside the penalty area in home games so far this campaign, compared to 47% last season) whilst a penalty box poacher like Adebayor has had to feed off relatively meagre scraps (he averaged a shot every 28 minutes last season but is down to one every 40 minutes this campaign) which has clearly affected his confidence.

I don't see Liverpool being interested in him and I don't think Ade will be willing to move to any of the other teams you list.

I've been trying to make this point repeatedly, in general, about our play this season. Which is why, in respect of the above, you have to give AVB immense credit for getting us where we are this season and is why Adebayor has been deployed more as a 'space-creating drifting forward' than a 'striker'...

Steff I think we are just making excuses for him. He didn't last long at any of the previous clubs he was at - either he is not very good and/or his attitude is poor. I mean last season with Modric and VDV even though he was better than now he still missed so many chances when he was pretty much clean through, I remember Chelsea at home in the last minute for example. I will not boo him because I don't do that but conversely he will have to raise his game for me to cheer him. It's been 2 days since we lost and I am still p1ssed at him.

I think more criticism should go to the other players for not getting into scoring positions/lack of movement inside the box. You can all keep banging on about Ade's lack of goals or drifting wide, but it might just be that it's what he's been asked to do. If other players then don't take advantage of the space offered, how is that Ade's fault?

I think more criticism should go to the other players for not getting into scoring positions/lack of movement inside the box. You can all keep banging on about Ade's lack of goals or drifting wide, but it might just be that it's what he's been asked to do. If other players then don't take advantage of the space offered, how is that Ade's fault?

This has been a systematic problem for us for a long time. At least if you compare us to the top sides like Manu, something that might be too harsh as they're obviously better than us, but still.

Too often we have one or two players in the box when we have decent crossing opportunities, watching teams like Manu they often have 4-5 players storming into the box. That also makes the job for the strikers a lot easier as it's much easier for them to find space when the opposing defenders have to pick up several players.

adebayor has always played like that. him being erratic with his movement and drifting wide isnt a new thing. at one point it was considered the highlight of his hold up play. now? i dont know why he does it when he needs to pick up his confidence

but yes the modric issue is a serious one.

i dont give AVB credit for much though, except for being able to get the team to grind out results...THAT i give him much credit for....as for our position soon we will be exactly where i thought we would be with the resources he has....5th to 6th. and his team collapsed exactly when i said and expected it would......actually thats a lie. i thought it would happen in EARLY february time when games started to thicken and come fast in numbers.......came later.

this overall has been a good season, i would say that if we finished fifth we are right on par with where we should be

Ade answers penalty critics

Saturday 13th April 2013 9:03

Emmanuel Adebayor has hit back at the critics who lambasted him for his miss in Tottenham's Europa League penalty shootout defeat to Basel.

Tottenham crashed out of the competition in Switzerland on Thursday night after the tie ended 4-4 on aggregate after extra-time.

Yann Sommer saved from Tom Huddlestone and Gylfi Sigurdsson then scored, but any hope 10-man Tottenham had of advancing to the semi-finals was blown by Adebayor's poor attempt from 12 yards.

The Togolese took a slow, stuttering run up and then cleared Sommer's goal by a foot, before Marco Diaz went on to secure an easy 4-1 shootout win for Basle.

Adebayor's miss drew derision from all quarters, with fans either side of the north London divide and former players like Gary Lineker criticising the 29-year-old's spot-kick.

Adebayor, who scored four penalties for Spurs last season, has defended himself, blaming his missed attempt partly on fatigue and the boggy sodden pitch in north-west Switzerland.

"It's tough," the Tottenham striker said. "You run around for 120 minutes, you give everything you have in your stomach, you are tired, you play with 10 men for 30 minutes and at the end of the day you have to take a penalty.

"The pressure is there when you take the ball. It's not the reason why we missed. We had to score, but it's not easy for us.

"I have taken penalties for Arsenal and Real Madrid. It's a gamble.

"You miss or you score. I missed against Basle. I am very disappointed, but that's football. You just have to keep focused and keep going."

Tottenham's squad will now have a four-day break before reconvening ahead of their vital Premier League clash against Emirates Marketing Project a week on Sunday.

Spurs fought hard to take the tie to extra-time last night. Clint Dempsey scored twice to cancel out goals from Mohamed Salah and Aleksandr Dragovic, and just before the end of the 90 minutes Jan Vertonghen saw red for a cynical foul on Marco Streller to make life much harder for Tottenham.

However, with six season-defining games to come shortly, Adebayor knows he and his team-mates must forget about their Europa League disappointment fast.

"I'm very disappointed," he said."Now we've got time off. We'll go home, see our families and forget about what happened and think about the next game"

--------------------------------

He didn't care about saying sorry for his miss, did he. He not only lack goals and effort but he seems to lack class as well.

He didn't care about saying sorry for his miss, did he. He not only lack goals and effort but he seems to lack class as well.

Should he though?

I assume you expect an excuse from Huddlestone as well?

At least the two of them (and Sig) had the nuts to stand up and be counted when the pressure was on. Anyone shirking away from the responsibility should apologize before anyone who actually steps up in my opinion. And he obviously didn't miss it on purpose, you'd think with most people on here being English people would be used to penalty misses by now ;) Or at least be aware that scoring them in a shootout like this isn't easy.

I also think Dembele should apologize for his pass that got cut out for the 1-1 goal and that Dawson should apologize for not being able to control a football in the lead up to the sending off before before any of the penalty takers should apologize. I of course don't think that any of our players owe us an apology after that match though.

Why the hell should he apologise? He didn't miss on purpose. It happened, deal with it.

Footballers don't apologise. They move on because they "need to play Champions League football" and don't take any reponsibility for their performances. That was not a dig at Adebayor, but at footballers in general.

If he played awful devoid of any effort or didn't prepare well enough then I would expect an apology. After he runs his nuts off for 120 minutes and unfortunately misses a penalty I certainly don't expect it.especially when there are so many factors in a pressured penalty shoot out.

Footballers don't apologise. They move on because they "need to play Champions League football" and don't take any reponsibility for their performances. That was not a dig at Adebayor, but at footballers in general.

I think it's at least partly healthy and good for performances.

Confidence is such a big part of doing well as a footballer and frequently apologizing for mistakes isn't a particularly helpful focus to build confidence.

My bigger worry would be that the miss and subsequent criticism will shatter his confidence again, and just when his performances were picking up too. Whether you like him or loath him we need a confident and motivated Ade for the next 6 games.

Back