• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Stupid booking against West Ham when the game was already won cost us 2 pts yesterday IMO. Gotta learn to deal with things like that better.

Stupid booking against West Ham when the game was already won cost us 2 pts yesterday IMO. Gotta learn to deal with things like that better.

It was a stupid booking but I understand why it happened. He was defending his team mate and we have to remember the kid is only young. His agreesiveness and desire is a big reason as to why he is so successful. Some of the best players had this mean streak (Zidane, Gazza, Gerrard, Scholes, Vieira) so I'm willing to forgive him for this minor indiscretion.

I get the sentiment, but we shouldn't be pinning our hopes on a 19 year old. One player doesn't make a team and the result is more about the replacements not being as good.

Lets not buy the hype, Alli is good and would have been useful to have, but he has a long way to go before I believe he would have been the difference today against a Mourinho side setup to not lose.

For me its better for our team's and his, long term development that he sticks up for his team mates, and doesnt back down from anyone. It didnt do roy keane any harm.

I will take the booking and suspension (at their current level) all day long.

There is a lot of things i love about this team, the fact that no one can bully us is one... anyone has a go, you see walker dier and ali having a go back... for me thats a major plus and will pay dividends in the medium to long term, even if that means short term pain.

For me its better for our team's and his, long term development that he sticks up for his team mates, and doesnt back down from anyone. It didnt do roy keane any harm.

There is a lot of things i love about this team, the fact that no one can bully us is one... anyone has a go, you see walker dier and ali having a go back... for me thats a major plus and will pay dividends in the medium to long term, even if that means short term pain.

I like it, but you have to accept that such an ethos carries its own risk. With an experienced team, no one would get wound up to the extent that they lost their head when rushing to the defense of their team-mates: with our young side, that's a greater danger.

I like it, but you have to accept that such an ethos carries its own risk. With an experienced team, no one would get wound up to the extent that they lost their head when rushing to the defense of their team-mates: with our young side, that's a greater danger.

No way mate... Just absolutely no way.

It's about striking a balance between aggression and composure. Finding the right state of mind. I think our players despite their youth are proving that they're very capable in this area of the game.

No way mate... Just absolutely no way.

It's about striking a balance between aggression and composure. Finding the right state of mind. I think our players despite their youth are proving that they're very capable in this area of the game.

Tell that to Keown, DiCanio, Keane, Vieira etc etc!

Yeah, okay, perhaps not 'no one', but you get my drift. A smaller chance of it snowballing out of control. And the balance you mention, braine: surely that comes with experience?

Can we right as he's only started games recently no?
Alli' PL starts this season:

Sunderland (a) 1-0 win
Palace (h) 1-0 win
Emirates Marketing Project (h) 4-1 win
Swansea (a) 2-2 draw
Liverpool (h) 0-0 draw
Bournemouth (a) 5-1 win
Aston Villa (h) 3-1 win
Goons (a) 1-1 draw
Wet Spam (h) 4-1 win

W:6 D:3 L:0 For:21 Against:7

Amazing. We did draw our first 4 didn't we. Stoke was the real frustrating one. Then Alli came in. Did he start the scum League Cup game?

I mentioned it in the omt but we did missed his drive and aggression yesterday. If he keeps improving he can be a force. Still a lot more to come from the lad.

Last edited:
Amazing. We did draw our first 4 didn't we. Stoke was the real frustrating one. Then Alli came in. Did he start the scum League Cup game?

I mentioned it in the omt but we did miss his drive and aggression yesterday. If he keeps improving he can be a force. Still a lot more to come from the lad.
Carroll started alongside Dier in the League Cup game with Alli coming on for 15 minutes at the end.

Very impressive that Alli's become an automatic starter despite being only 19 years old and he does appear to be level headed enough to maximise his immense potential, rather than becoming yet another English youngster to rest on his laurels once he feels like he's made it.

Our record while he is not in the starting 11 is 0 win until now.
A stark contrast to Gareth Bale' run of 24 league matches without a win when he signed for us!

Personally I think Alli quite easily could've been sent off had he played yesterday. He's got that nasty streak to him (which I like), but is sometimes a bit too aggressive at the wrong time - he needs to learn when and how to use this properly. Which he will.

Up against the experienced, cynical theatrics of Hoofski, however, I think he easily could have been lured into over the top tackles and confrontations that would've gotten him sent off.

Just my speculation, obviously. Looking forward to having him back in the side again.

@SteveAWOL the Bale stat does show that you have to take such statistics with a pich of salt. Bale was not stopping us winning games back then. Alli is not single handedly upping our games now. That said, @Robbo , Alli does bring aggressive determination. Not all that dissimilar to Costa. Of course Costa can be more nasty etc. Alli is a kid and never that bad etc etc (before someone flags me up). The point is they both have that win-at-all-costs aggressiveness, which this team sometimes lacks. You have to tread a fine line sometimes. Would we have won with a little bit more determination and tenacity yesterday? Quite possibly there are fine margins.

Last edited:
Yeah, okay, perhaps not 'no one', but you get my drift. A smaller chance of it snowballing out of control. And the balance you mention, braine: surely that comes with experience?

Develops with age and experience, sure. But it's also something that some younger players are better at than others.

I'm glad you agree on the "no one" point. We've seen enough headless stuff done by much more experienced players. If we accept that it happens at some rate with all teams, and that some rate of that happening probably is unavoidable that's at least a starting point for evaluating what is happening with our lads (not doing so would be ignoring the base rate - a logical fallacy). I don't think much of anything can be learned based on one example with one player.

Watching more experienced good teams like Chelsea and City I don't currently get the impression that we lose our heads more often than them. Thought that's just my impression.

The maturity shown by our younger players really is impressive. No doubt they will continue to improve in most regards as they get older and gain experience. But they're already proving themselves to be at a high level, and imo have taken solid steps already under Pochettino.

Quite possibly there are fine margins.
Indeed, if any of the ten or so speculative shots from distance had hit someone on the ar.se and flown into the top corner the entire narrative would change. Either to Cheatski flops, Mourinho out, Poch to take Spurs to the title.... or to Mourinho legend, Cheatski are back in the hunt, Spurs will fall back to midtable, end of the world scenario... all down to someone's ar.se

I keep reading this, that he was 'sticking up' for his time mate but what was he sticking up for? Kane was the player who got fouled and didn't get involved in anything so what was the need? Combined with the fact we already had the game won there was absolutely no need so it was a stupid booking. Yes Man U and other great teams had this siege mentality and that's great but theres a time and a place. When Alli stepped in wasn't an opportune moment to demonstrate this....

I keep reading this, that he was 'sticking up' for his time mate but what was he sticking up for? Kane was the player who got fouled and didn't get involved in anything so what was the need? Combined with the fact we already had the game won there was absolutely no need so it was a stupid booking. Yes Man U and other great teams had this siege mentality and that's great but theres a time and a place. When Alli stepped in wasn't an opportune moment to demonstrate this....

I disagree, west ham to my eyes at least, were at half time given instructions to rough us up a little.... up the agression. You could see several of their players try to exactly that. Players like walker ali and dier were having none of it.

Indeed, if any of the ten or so speculative shots from distance had hit someone on the ar.se and flown into the top corner the entire narrative would change. Either to Cheatski flops, Mourinho out, Poch to take Spurs to the title.... or to Mourinho legend, Cheatski are back in the hunt, Spurs will fall back to midtable, end of the world scenario... all down to someone's ar.se

Exactly! Son's two attempts get me. If they were not straight but skewed - goal and likely win. Spurs for the title etc. Ifs and and buts. We are where we are. Which is only 4 off the top. Funking awesome! Need to get some serious motivation in these dark months. Hope the lads don't get flu, and smash forward. Everything is possible this season. COS

Last edited:
Back