• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Davinson Sanchez

Said it before, Sanchez's pace suits us playing a high line so unsurprising that he played well today.. Rico Williams skinned Royal a few times so Sanchez is useful to have back there. What he is absolutely unsuited for is a low block game.
You want him away from our goal
What has been really nice to see is that under Ange he is happy to play passes

It's not Sanchezs fault it was a brick ref, was never a free kick. The whole defence was at fault for the second goal. Emerson was easily beaten and 3 defenders in the box marking nobody.

Sure, but two of those three were brand new. Sanchez has been here 6 years.

Udogie actually came all the way across from left-back, leaving his man, in a desperate attempt to block. Van de Ven got close enough to get a block in.

Wissa was Sanchez's man. When the cutback came, Sanchez was nowhere in sight, having decided to stand on the touchline a yard away for reasons best known to himself. All he did was block Vicario's view of the cutback.

This is no surprise to me, it's what he does. But it is on him - as for that free kick, he still conceded it, still had to defend it - which he didn't.

As I said, he was okay apart from that. But you have to expect at least one stupid goal a game conceded because of him, and we cannot carry that after 6 years of him being here.

Edit: here's a picture which makes it even clearer:

https___icdn.caughtoffside.com_wp-content_uploads_2023_08_Screenshot-2023-08-13-at-14.49.35.jpg

I wish I had the one showing Sanchez completely failing to track his run, which was worse. But here is where he got himself at the end of it - nowhere close to Wissa, who had time to touch and slam home
That was his man.

Sure, but two of those three were brand new. Sanchez has been here 6 years.

Udogie actually came all the way across from left-back, leaving his man, in a desperate attempt to block. Van de Ven got close enough to get a block in.

Wissa was Sanchez's man. When the cutback came, Sanchez was nowhere in sight, having decided to stand on the touchline a yard away for reasons best known to himself. All he did was block Vicario's view of the cutback.

This is no surprise to me, it's what he does. But it is on him - as for that free kick, he still conceded it, still had to defend it - which he didn't.

As I said, he was okay apart from that. But you have to expect at least one stupid goal a game conceded because of him, and we cannot carry that after 6 years of him being here.

Edit: here's a picture which makes it even clearer:

View attachment 15850

I wish I had the one showing Sanchez completely failing to track his run, which was worse. But here is where he got himself at the end of it - nowhere close to Wissa, who had time to touch and slam home
That was his man.
Sorry but that's rubbish, it doesn't matter whether you are here a week or a decade you still have to do your job. And the picture shows nothing.

Emerson did poor and Henry was almost past him. Sanchez had to drop as Henry would've been in on goal. Udogie was jogging back, if he had've ran he could've covered one of the two attackers in the box.

I think he attacked from so deep one of the midfield should have been tracking him
They only had 4 people in our half
We had the numbers but I think our CBS took up the normal CB position
Royal got skinned
And there was no marking wissa who actually stopped his run
Should have been some talking between the CBS but considering they were even meant to be okaying together I’m fine with it

Sorry but that's rubbish, it doesn't matter whether you are here a week or a decade you still have to do your job. And the picture shows nothing.

Emerson did poor and Henry was almost past him. Sanchez had to drop as Henry would've been in on goal. Udogie was jogging back, if he had've ran he could've covered one of the two attackers in the box.

That's just inane. Van de Ven has had three training sessions with the team. He can't expect Sanchez to go walkabout and end up on the touchline instead of marking Wissa - he doesn't yet have the experience of being let down by him repeatedly. And Udogie *was* marking the far side Brentford player - look at the shot. He was forced to leave him to try to get to Wissa.

Because Sanchez didn't do *his* job. And as for dropping because Henry was in, Henry was on the touchline - he couldn't shoot, and Vicario had the port covered. The only option he had was passing to Wissa, which was only an option because Sanchez dropped off.

That's just inane. Van de Ven has had three training sessions with the team. He can't expect Sanchez to go walkabout and end up on the touchline instead of marking Wissa - he doesn't yet have the experience of being let down by him repeatedly. And Udogie *was* marking the far side Brentford player - look at the shot. He was forced to leave him to try to get to Wissa.

Because Sanchez didn't do *his* job. And as for dropping because Henry was in, Henry was on the touchline - he couldn't shoot, and Vicario had the port covered. The only option he had was passing to Wissa, which was only an option because Sanchez dropped off.
What's insane is your constant hyberbole, Sanchez didn't go walkabout, fudge it, couldn't be bothered...

What's insane is your constant hyberbole, Sanchez didn't go walkabout, fudge it, couldn't be bothered...

Sigh. Here's the screenshots of the goal if you'd like.

Screenshot_20230813-181337~2.png

Just after the free kick - note that Sanchez already lost his man while Van de Ven was tracking his.

Screenshot_20230813-181347~2.png

Here's Henry beating Emerson - note Sanchez has completely lost Wissa at this point, while VdV comes across trying to cover two players at once.

Screenshot_20230813-181406~2.png

Here he is by the time of the goal. Udogie actually got across to Wissa faster than he did because he's gone walkabout.

But believe what you want mate, I can't stop you.

Last edited:

View attachment 15852

Just after the free kick - note that Sanchez already lost his man while Van de Ven was tracking his.

View attachment 15853

Here's Henry beating Emerson - note Sanchez has completely lost Wissa at this point, while VdV comes across trying to cover two players at once.

View attachment 15854

Here he is by the time of the goal. Udogie actually got across to Wissa faster than he did because he's gone walkabout.

Sanchez is dropping off to cover the near post in case he beats Royal (which he did). In this case, it should have been a midfielder - Bissouma was closest I think - tracking Wissa. The midfield completely switched off when they were given the free kick.

Last edited:
Sanchez is dropping off to cover the near post in case he beats Royal (which he did). In this case, it should have been a midfielder - Bissouma was closest I think - tracking Wissa. The midfield completely switched off when they were given the free kick.

Exactly this. Sanchez has to go because the guy has done Royal and he’s the immediate danger.

The goal is more about our high line than individuals. Royal gets done because we’re defending so high. There is no midfield cover because we’re playing so high up the pitch.

I’m not saying the system is wrong or playing on the front foot is wrong but that second goal yesterday is the risk you run from it.

View attachment 15852

View attachment 15853

View attachment 15854

All that shows is your complete lack of knowledge of defending. As others have explained Sanchez correctly dropped back.

I have issues with Sanchez, but he was in a no win position there.

You cover the player getting past Royal and you leave a player in the box.

You stick with your man and you let the player with the ball run in on goals.

You try and work the angle to narrow the goals and the pass, but it's difficult to pull off.

I have issues with Sanchez, but he was in a no win position there.

You cover the player getting past Royal and you leave a player in the box.

You stick with your man and you let the player with the ball run in on goals.

You try and work the angle to narrow the goals and the pass, but it's difficult to pull off.

There comes a point when you have to go towards the most immediate danger and, as you say, try cut the angle to the man you were marking. I think Sanchez did the right thing, the Brentford player was clever to stay towards the edge of the box to create the angle for a pass.

This spacegoating of individuals or finger pointing every time we concede a goal is tiresome. People talk about playing front foot attacking football as if it comes with no risks. It does and it cost us that goal yesterday. And we have to be prepared for more of the same because it’s a very risky game. But it sure as fudge is much easier to watch and enjoy.

View attachment 15852

View attachment 15853

View attachment 15854

All you are showing here is a desperate desire to fit the narrative to your desired culprit. I think you'll struggle to find a single credible expert who will agree with you on this.

Exactly this. Sanchez has to go because the guy has done Royal and he’s the immediate danger.

The goal is more about our high line than individuals. Royal gets done because we’re defending so high. There is no midfield cover because we’re playing so high up the pitch.

I’m not saying the system is wrong or playing on the front foot is wrong but that second goal yesterday is the risk you run from it.

I don't know how to use the like button.

We have to be wary of playing our high line against teams capable of producing fast counter attacking football.

Mason tried it against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and we got ripped apart. Villa tried it against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and got pasted as well. Next week we face Manu who are on their day are arguably one of the best counter attacking teams in the league.

I don't know how to use the like button.

We have to be wary of playing our high line against teams capable of producing fast counter attacking football.

Mason tried it against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and we got ripped apart. Villa tried it against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and got pasted as well. Next week we face Manu who are on their day are arguably one of the best counter attacking teams in the league.

Is this not why we have looked at CB's and FullBacks with pace.

Udogie is quick, Porro has some pace as well, but VDV fast. It will help prevent teams from counter attacking when you have a handful of players who will get back quick

I wish we could go back to the 70's, you could let in a goal and moan about it and move on, now everyone is an expert and it has to analysed to nth degree and at least one person must be crucified. This use to be a game to watch and enjoy, it's getting worse than going to work.

Is this not why we have looked at CB's and FullBacks with pace.

Udogie is quick, Porro has some pace as well, but VDV fast. It will help prevent teams from counter attacking when you have a handful of players who will get back quick

Of course. It's what City and Liverpool have done for years. Our classic back 4 had Walker and Verts in it, and Rose was also no slouch.

Back