• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Davinson Sanchez

fqrz5e9gakeb1.png

This is absolutely damning stuff - amount spent on center-backs since 16-17.

Thanks for putting together a list to show how many flops we’ve avoided.

Well, those that have spent much, have done it because they've paid a shed load for CB's that weren't any better than what they already had, gone and spent a shed load again for yet more duds etc. Very few have turned out to be very good.
From those lists, only 6-7 of them in total can be classed as a success!
But that's the gamble isn't it. Our strategy of hanging on to duds has made us the worst of the lot

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

But that's the gamble isn't it. Our strategy of hanging on to duds has made us the worst of the lot

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk
That's not true at all. We've been perfectly OK defensively, and not conceded a lot of goals apart from last season.
Of course we could have been better, but so could everyone else too. I'm happy we haven't spent 250m on players that perhaps would only marginally improve us.
I agree though, that we should have invested a bit more in trying to renew/buy competition for our CB's.

Well, those that have spent much, have done it because they've paid a shed load for CB's that weren't any better than what they already had, gone and spent a shed load again for yet more duds etc. Very few have turned out to be very good.
From those lists, only 6-7 of them in total can be classed as a success!
Much better instead to have not tried and failed like we have eh?

Frightening that is. Most of those, I've either never seen play or they were dogbrick. We've probably bought the least amount of brick... :D

Shows how much luck is involved in getting a transfer right.

Exactly and something that isn't truly acknowledged still to this day. The crux is in order to burn through, City must have spent near on half a billion on defenders maybe more if you went only a couple of years earlier than 16/17.

That's not true at all. We've been perfectly OK defensively, and not conceded a lot of goals apart from last season.
Of course we could have been better, but so could everyone else too. I'm happy we haven't spent 250m on players that perhaps would only marginally improve us.
I agree though, that we should have invested a bit more in trying to renew/buy competition for our CB's.

Perhaps another way to look at it is that we were complacent.

Instead of "OK, Dire looks better with Romero, let's just keep Sanchez and Rodon and HOPE they get better even though the coach doesn't want to use them" we could go with "lets try to sell Sanchez and Rodon since they don't seem to be working out and see if we can get better than Dier and Davies".

Liverpool are consistently more ruthless in letting players go after a season when their stock is still high.

Oh and we failed last season by leaking 63 goals. A continuous improvement mindset would have avoided it.

Perhaps another way to look at it is that we were complacent.

Instead of "OK, Dire looks better with Romero, let's just keep Sanchez and Rodon and HOPE they get better even though the coach doesn't want to use them" we could go with "lets try to sell Sanchez and Rodon since they don't seem to be working out and see if we can get better than Dier and Davies".

Liverpool are consistently more ruthless in letting players go after a season when their stock is still high.

Oh and we failed last season by leaking 63 goals. A continuous improvement mindset would have avoided it.
COULD have, not would have. Just take another look at that list of defenders other clubs have bought....

He'd cost 40m + and 100k + a week.
Would you replace Dier with him? Would that improve us? What's the cost/gain?
Seriously Ake is fantastic in the Emirates Marketing Project team .Great positioning for a high line and fast too...plus good distribution from deep that keeps the opposition pinned back.

Yes...if ange plays a high line I think the cost is reasonable.

But we have to work hard at getting rid if excess player. I'd rather take a loss selling duds if that little contributes to a better starting eleven

Sent from my SM-S918B using Fapatalk

Seriously Ake is fantastic in the Emirates Marketing Project team .Great positioning for a high line and fast too...plus good distribution from deep that keeps the opposition pinned back.

Yes...if ange plays a high line I think the cost is reasonable.

But we have to work hard at getting rid if excess player. I'd rather take a loss selling duds if that little contributes to a better starting eleven

Sent from my SM-S918B using Fapatalk
Our duds are less likely to leave as they can see they are not being replaced. It is easy for the likes of Sanchez to turn down moves when he knows doing this means we don’t sign a replacement and he’ll get a squad number and still make appearances for us next season.

Last seasons ake was great
The ones before … nah
He was poor in defence
But he is now prime age and experience
He will be a bench warmer once they sign Gvardiol
He was good, wouldn't say great, and moved the ball well. He was playing in a team that he rarely had to defend.

Last seasons ake was great
The ones before … nah
He was poor in defence
But he is now prime age and experience
He will be a bench warmer once they sign Gvardiol
He's adequate for City and how they play. They don't need to defend much. He'd look worse than Dier in a Conte team. Similarly, I think Dier could do a job in a Pep team, playing a similar role to Stones, by transitioning into midfield. Not as good as stones maybe, but you get my point.
How you play massively impacts how different players perform.

Back