• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

I get your point. But no matter the games he has had on the training field or even in pre-season. Nothing is like the level of the EPL. So far I think he has proved he is a good level prem player after his stint at Sunderland. So imv he now needs to prove he can be a player in a team with more lofty aspirations and show he has the quality to hold that position. Going by the fact he has started all the pre-season games, I can only assume that AVB is either giving him that chance or is only playing him until he brings someone else in. I think its the former. I am not convinced by him yet, but I want him to have a chance to prove it one way or another with our first team in EPL games.

I get your point. But no matter the games he has had on the training field or even in pre-season. Nothing is like the level of the EPL. So far I think he has proved he is a good level prem player after his stint at Sunderland. So imv he now needs to prove he can be a player in a team with more lofty aspirations and show he has the quality to hold that position. Going by the fact he has started all the pre-season games, I can only assume that AVB is either giving him that chance or is only playing him until he brings someone else in. I think its the former. I am not convinced by him yet, but I want him to have a chance to prove it one way or another with our first team in EPL games.

That's fair enough and I don't disagree with your main points. I hope it's the latter though :)

Being second choice for a team in the EL he will get chances to prove himself even if starting the season as a second choice.

From the Telegraph:

He blamed the culture at Tottenham under Redknapp, saying: “It’s not nice when you train hard every day and people are allowed to sack off training and still be in the starting XI. Sometimes it’s the name on the back of the shirt as well.

From the Telegraph:

He blamed the culture at Tottenham under Redknapp, saying: “It’s not nice when you train hard every day and people are allowed to sack off training and still be in the starting XI. Sometimes it’s the name on the back of the shirt as well.

We all know Harry had his favorites, its one of the reasons he could not change things up. Harry was a good guy at getting players to play free and express themselves. But tactics or a plan B. no not really. Im not sure AVB does not have favorites though, not yet. He has not had enough of a fully fit squad to prove that point or not. The fact he dropped the so called established players at chelsea though makes me thing he wants performances and not just a name.

I think we can all imagine Benny taking it easy in training but he was performing in the games so no reason to drop him. If Rose wants the shirt he's got to work hard and AVB will pick him.

Can we afford to give Rose time? I think Walker could well become a top right back and his form towards the end of last season was very good. But he made a lot of rookie mistakes and without that back pass at Liverpool which killed our momentum I think we would have made fourth. I can't see BAE doing something that fundamentally terrible, Rose already fudged us quite badly the season before with that red card at Villa. I don't really want two players learning in defence at the same time when we have to be on it from the off. Also, Rose was once a left winger wasn't he? I think that means his development will be longer and slower.

Last edited:
Can we afford to give Rose time? I think Walker could well become a top right back and his form towards the end of last season was very good. But he made a lot of rookie mistakes and without that back pass at Liverpool which killed our momentum I think we would have made fourth. I can't see BAE doing something that fundamentally terrible, Rose already fudged us quite badly the season before with that red card at Villa. I don't really want two players learning in defence at the same time when we have to be on it from the off. Also, Rose was once a left winger wasn't he? I think that means his development will be longer and slower.

If I remember correctly, Walker's backpass led to the equaliser at Anfield. Their winner came from a very sloppy penalty, conceded by....BAE.

I think the first goal was more calamitous. We seemed quite in control before it and could have comfortably closed out the game. It was really a gift. We also needed three points not one like in every game towards the end of the season. Not saying BAE is perfect just that his experience makes me believe he is less likely to make fundamental errors. Having said all that he seems to have fallen out with AVB somewhat so he probably won't have the focus and desire he has done in the past and will be more error prone and slack. Maybe best to buy a new LB.

From the Telegraph:

Like every other Manager that's ever existed. Funnily enough most Manager's favourite players turn out to be the ones the Manager's rate the highest too......

That's the point isn't it? I don't agree with giving players a run of game to prove themselves. It doesn't work that way. A player often only gets a couple of opportunities in the first team to prove they deserve a shot. With regards to Danny Rose I don't even regard him as young anymore. From what I've seen of him at left back so far he isn't anywhere near good enough and hasn't proven that he is. I don't care what Sunderland fans say. Attacking full backs often get cut slack in brick teams (look at Stephen Carr with us, at one stage he was a hero of many Spurs fans and yet in reality he was dreadfully average) and get plaudits from fans.

I think we can all imagine Benny taking it easy in training but he was performing in the games so no reason to drop him. If Rose wants the shirt he's got to work hard and AVB will pick him.

No, he needs to show quality that he hasn't yet managed to exhibit. Working hard isn't enough at Premiership level, let alone top four challenging quality.

we can do better than Rose and hopefully Baldini and AVB have a few names up their sleeves

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/t..._fairly_for_left_back_spot_at_spurs_1_2329877

“In the past I’ve never been able to compete fairly with Benoit, and Benoit’s been outstanding for the last three or four years,” said Rose.

“But now we’ve got a manager who treats people fairly and he’s not afraid to drop people if you’re not performing, so I hope that can work well for me this season."

A sly dig a redknapp?

Full article:

Danny Rose says he is finally getting the chance to “compete fairly” for the left-back spot at Tottenham under Andre Villas-Boas – but he will seek a permanent move away if he finds himself on the bench this season.

Rose has been at Spurs for six years but has only started 17 games for the Lilywhites in all competitions and has been loaned out to five different clubs – including his season-long stay with Sunderland last term.

Now 23 years old, he is anxious to make an impact at White Hart Lane. And, having started the last five pre-season friendlies ahead of his main rival Benoit Assou-Ekotto, he feels he is finally getting a fair fight.

“In the past I’ve never been able to compete fairly with Benoit, and Benoit’s been outstanding for the last three or four years,” said Rose.

“But now we’ve got a manager who treats people fairly and he’s not afraid to drop people if you’re not performing, so I hope that can work well for me this season.

“I train hard and every game I played I feel I’ve worked hard, so I hope that can stand me in good stead for Palace next week.

“It’s not nice when you train hard every day and people are allowed to sack training off and still be in the starting XI.

“Obviously I know Spurs have been in the top four or five clubs for the last five seasons or so, so I know it’s hard for anyone to break through - but at the same time it is frustrating and it’s great that now the gaffer is not afraid to drop people if you’re not performing or training hard enough.

“Was it a case of players being picked based on their reputation? Possibly, sometimes it’s the name on the back of the shirt as well. Sometimes it’s good and other times it’s not.

“I have to be grateful because I might not have had the chance to go to Sunderland if that hadn’t happened, and I managed to show people what I was about last season, to prove to people that I was good enough to play in the Premier League.

“Now I’ve come back here I have to prove to people that I’m good enough to play in a top four or five team in the Premier League. It’s another challenge for me this season and I’m looking forward to it.

“I’ve had a good pre-season, I’ve worked hard and so has everyone else, and we’re all just fighting for that starting place next week at Palace.”

Rose started 25 of Sunderland’s 38 Premier League games last season and, having got a taste of being a regular in the top flight, he concedes that he is entering a make or break period in his Tottenham career.

“I enjoyed every minute at Sunderland,” he said. “It’s a club that I’d love to go and play for again because they’re the only team at this minute which has given me a chance to play week in week out.

“Now I’ve experienced it, coming here and sitting on the bench is not something I’d be looking to do.

“I work hard and if I’m in the starting XI then I’ll try my best every single week for Tottenham because I love the club.

“I’ve worked with the manager for probably two months now and I enjoy every one of his training sessions. I love the lads and I love the fans as well so Tottenham is where I want to stay, but if I don’t play regularly then I’m not going to be happy, just like everyone else won’t be happy.

“I wouldn’t be going on loan again. If I wasn’t playing then a loan’s not an option for me now. I want to get settled somewhere, playing week in week out.”

Fair enough.......he's 23 now so needs to make good decisions for the direction of his career.

Think he has got ability and has good body strength. BUT needs to make better defensive decisions and also reign in the wayward aggressiveness that creeps in far too much for my liking.

Can imagine AVB likes his attitude (compared to Benny), but technically benny was superb and they'll be times this season we wish BAE was strutting his stuff on the left.

Imo he is giving Rose his chance but AVB really is after a new 1st choice LB (probably contraeo if bale goes), he'll have to build some bridges with benny if it doesn't materialise

I think he mouths off to the press way too much.

He's entitled to his own opinion of course, but speaking negatively about Redknapp in the press doesn't seem very well considered. Far from implausible Redknapp ends up managing a solid PL team or even England at some point.

He's entitled to his own opinion of course, but speaking negatively about Redknapp in the press doesn't seem very well considered. Far from implausible Redknapp ends up managing a solid PL team or even England at some point.

Indeed. I just prefer players who don't wash their dirty linen in public. It's one thing thinking that Redknapp was unfair to him, which could be a valid opinion, but it's rather silly to let everyone know this is what you are thinking.

Aside, I still don't see him as our 1st choice left back. He might convince me otherwise, but if he's bumped down the pecking order again I'm sure he'll be back in the redtops spouting off about the injustice of it all.

Indeed. I just prefer players who don't wash their dirty linen in public. It's one thing thinking that Redknapp was unfair to him, which could be a valid opinion, but it's rather silly to let everyone know this is what you are thinking.

Aside, I still don't see him as our 1st choice left back. He might convince me otherwise, but if he's bumped down the pecking order again I'm sure he'll be back in the redtops spouting off about the injustice of it all.

Exactly he's pretty much dissed one of his teammates (BAE) publicly in the press

Ekotto is a good defender and a good attacking left back. He puts in a good cross, and also plays decent balls onto Bale, Sig etc. Unsure why he is being singled out, as he is clearly the better left back.

Not sure about Rose as our No.1 LB. Got rave reviews at Sunderland though and they supposedly "know their football" in the North-East so we'll see I guess.

Back