• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

That is not the way investment funds work.
When an investor holds an investment the investor will either sell at the point which they think the investment has reached its maximum potential value. Or sell at the point when they think the capital tied up in the asset or additional capital required to further increase the asset price could be put to better use elsewhere.
Levy and Lewis felt that football was massively undervalued as an entertainment business when they purchased the club. They have been proved right (they are brilliant businessmen). I expect they think the business is still undervalued (i.e. ESL and/or streaming/social media monetisation).

I own both majority and minority stakes in various businesses. My main motivation in owning those is to make as much money as possible. Why would I sell those stakes unless I believe they have either risen to their maximum value or I think I can put the money to better use elsewhere?
What would your response be if someone who occasionally shops at one of those businesses told you to invest large chunks of your other capital so that they could buy your widgets cheaper?

I think the main core of the Lewis/Levy/ENIC debate comes down to whether we would agree that investment in the footballing side is less than other areas of the business. Short-term the answer is obvious, so I am referring to the long-term.
It depends whether you're suggesting that spending on other areas of the business are without the goal of helping the club and team in the long run? Spending on the team has suffered (probably more correctly called, managed) because of these long term goals.

The debate generally revolves around fans thinking that we are not spending 'on purpose' and 'not backing the manager' as though funds are not an issue, while having zero awareness, detail or understanding of the limit of those funds. It's never enough, for some.

Granted within the deployment of said limited funds, there are valid arguments we could scout better, spend better, sell better, for sure.

I know….Chelsea player

although anyone who got that far in football deserves credit
It wasn't the most pleasant place to be back then either, ignoring the fact that I can't stand them as a club (though I literally didn't know a single Chelsea fan back then growing up in Walthamstow... It was probably 60% Spurs, 25% Arsenal 10% West Ham with the usual smattering of glory hunting Liverpool fans (typically the kids of Asian heritage who's Dad's weren't really interested in football).

Weirdly enough pretty much the only club in London who didn't come in for me at any stage was Spurs.... I never even had a trial at the club, which absolutely killed both my Dad and I as it was obviously the one that the two of us wanted me to play for the most. I would've even taken just one single reserve game so I had some pictures of me playing in a 'real' Spurs shirt. Perhaps it was lucky though as I would never have turned down a contract at Spurs and then would've likely have just shuffled down to whatever tier I'd found my level at playing football for (not really much of) a living.

I ended up playing semi-pro football to help pay my way through Uni but stopped when I couldn't combine such long hours at work with training for football.

It wasn't the most pleasant place to be back then either, ignoring the fact that I can't stand them as a club (though I literally didn't know a single Chelsea fan back then growing up in Walthamstow... It was probably 60% Spurs, 25% Arsenal 10% West Ham with the usual smattering of glory hunting Liverpool fans (typically the kids of Asian heritage who's Dad's weren't really interested in football).

Weirdly enough pretty much the only club in London who didn't come in for me at any stage was Spurs.... I never even had a trial at the club, which absolutely killed both my Dad and I as it was obviously the one that the two of us wanted me to play for the most. I would've even taken just one single reserve game so I had some pictures of me playing in a 'real' Spurs shirt. Perhaps it was lucky though as I would never have turned down a contract at Spurs and then would've likely have just shuffled down to whatever tier I'd found my level at playing football for (not really much of) a living.

I ended up playing semi-pro football to help pay my way through Uni but stopped when I couldn't combine such long hours at work with training for football.
Work getting in the way of football
The way of the real man

It depends whether you're suggesting that spending on other areas of the business are without the goal of helping the club and team in the long run? Spending on the team has suffered (probably more correctly called, managed) because of these long term goals.

The debate generally revolves around fans thinking that we are not spending 'on purpose' and 'not backing the manager' as though funds are not an issue, while having zero awareness, detail or understanding of the limit of those funds. It's never enough, for some.

Granted within the deployment of said limited funds, there are valid arguments we could scout better, spend better, sell better, for sure.

Great post and sums up our situation at this time imo.

I think we largely agree…to be discussed on Sunday! Where we might differ is in why we adopt the model we do team-wise, and if this model will shift post-covid income?

So, the impending Saudi Sportswashing Machine takeover is an interesting case-study of a broader general trend. Whether in the Prem or the Championship, ambitious owners generally picked cheaper sides to buy, with the understanding that the low purchase price affords them more space for on- field investments. In the PL, the Emiratis chose City over United for that reason, Moshiri and Usmanov chose Everton over Arsenal for that reason, and Leicester and Villa's owners chose those clubs in the Championship for that reason.

The murderous Saudis have picked Saudi Sportswashing Machine for that reason. 300m purchase price + 500m or 1bn in on-field investments is still cheaper than buying, say, Arsenal at 1.5b or Spurs at Levy's reported price of 3b.

Now, we'll get left further behind, again. But then, that is inevitable under the useless deadweight chancers with no connection to the club that we've had at the top for twenty grinding years. But that isn't the thing I'm interested in.

My hope, as ever, is that one day these people leave and we can dream. But the high purchase price quoted means that is less likely to happen. So is it thr case now that the richest owners skip the 'top six' clubs and try their hand at the cheaper ones outside that grouping first?

I doubt the train will end with the Saudis - PL sportswashing is too easy and too appealing. The question is, where will the next megabuyer emerge?

So, the impending Saudi Sportswashing Machine takeover is an interesting case-study of a broader general trend. Whether in the Prem or the Championship, ambitious owners generally picked cheaper sides to buy, with the understanding that the low purchase price affords them more space for on- field investments. In the PL, the Emiratis chose City over United for that reason, Moshiri and Usmanov chose Everton over Arsenal for that reason, and Leicester and Villa's owners chose those clubs in the Championship for that reason.

The murderous Saudis have picked Saudi Sportswashing Machine for that reason. 300m purchase price + 500m or 1bn in on-field investments is still cheaper than buying, say, Arsenal at 1.5b or Spurs at Levy's reported price of 3b.

Now, we'll get left further behind, again. But then, that is inevitable under the useless deadweight chancers with no connection to the club that we've had at the top for twenty grinding years. But that isn't the thing I'm interested in.

My hope, as ever, is that one day these people leave and we can dream. But the high purchase price quoted means that is less likely to happen. So is it thr case now that the richest owners skip the 'top six' clubs and try their hand at the cheaper ones outside that grouping first?

I doubt the train will end with the Saudis - PL sportswashing is too easy and too appealing. The question is, where will the next megabuyer emerge?
Who realistically next needs sport watching
North Korea?
I agree with most of what your saying
We’re too expensive for anyone to invest in at the “value” out owners have put in the club
I’m amazed someone hasn’t brought Leeds for that reason
Bristol too as their catchments are massive
London in reality won’t have a super club very soon just super stadiums and mugged off fans

Who realistically next needs sport watching
North Korea?
I agree with most of what your saying
We’re too expensive for anyone to invest in at the “value” out owners have put in the club
I’m amazed someone hasn’t brought Leeds for that reason
Bristol too as their catchments are massive
London in reality won’t have a super club very soon just super stadiums and mugged off fans

Lots of places. Fact is, basically anywhere that sees massive wealth growth over the next half-century will see the rise of unscrupulous billionaires who need reputation-laundering. In most of those places, the capitalism that will see that income growth will also be brutal, barely regulated, uneven and often violent - much like 19th-century European and American capitalism when our societies were at that stage. In some cases, that will mean the governments involved will seek to sportswash their image (Visit Rwanda, for instance), and in others, billionaires will escape their countries and become real estate hoarders in the UK while buying clubs to launder their image.

So, take your pick. African billionaires and regimes, would be my bet - along with Indian billionaires, since Venky's were utterly small fry in comparison to some of their billionaires now (Adani, Ambani et al). The demand won't end, imo. Possibly Chinese billionaires again, post-Xi if the next chairman reverses some of the domestic curbs and reforms he's made.

I agree with you that London clubs will miss the train, though - at least, us, Arsenal and probably Spam. Brentford, Palace and the like might still be bought out, but we're probably brick out of luck with this lot we have clinging on.

Still, even if they sell to another lot just like them, it will be change, at least - and maybe the next lot will hire a better chairman with more of an understanding of on-pitch footballing growth? Who knows.

Lots of places. Fact is, basically anywhere that sees massive wealth growth over the next half-century will see the rise of unscrupulous billionaires who need reputation-laundering. In most of those places, the capitalism that will see that income growth will also be brutal, barely regulated, uneven and often violent - much like 19th-century European and American capitalism when our societies were at that stage. In some cases, that will mean the governments involved will seek to sportswash their image (Visit Rwanda, for instance), and in others, billionaires will escape their countries and become real estate hoarders in the UK while buying clubs to launder their image.

So, take your pick. African billionaires and regimes, would be my bet - along with Indian billionaires, since Venky's were utterly small fry in comparison to some of their billionaires now (Adani, Ambani et al). The demand won't end, imo. Possibly Chinese billionaires again, post-Xi if the next chairman reverses some of the domestic curbs and reforms he's made.

I agree with you that London clubs will miss the train, though - at least, us, Arsenal and probably Spam. Brentford, Palace and the like might still be bought out, but we're probably brick out of luck with this lot we have clinging on.

Still, even if they sell to another lot just like them, it will be change, at least - and maybe the next lot will hire a better chairman with more of an understanding of on-pitch footballing growth? Who knows.
West Ham would be the perfect club to buy in London for sportswashing.... Their owners would probably sell for <£500m, they have advantage of London location, big stadium already there and decent fan base.

West Ham would be the perfect club to buy in London for sportswashing.... Their owners would probably sell for <£500m, they have advantage of London location, big stadium already there and decent fan base.

True, but only if their owners are willing to sell for <500m. And I get the feeling the dildo twins want more - otherwise surely they'd have sold already, to Moshiri or the Saudis.

True, but only if their owners are willing to sell for <500m. And I get the feeling the dildo twins want more - otherwise surely they'd have sold already, to Moshiri or the Saudis.
There were penalties in place in the few several years after they moved to the Olympic stadium. I think those have now expired.
I get why the Saudi's were interested in Saudi Sportswashing Machine.... A team like them in a one club city is likely to be more attractive than the 4th most popular London club. Next on the list though could be West Ham who have a location advantage over many other clubs, while being a lot cheaper than Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea.

There were penalties in place in the few several years after they moved to the Olympic stadium. I think those have now expired.
I get why the Saudi's were interested in Saudi Sportswashing Machine.... A team like them in a one club city is likely to be more attractive than the 4th most popular London club. Next on the list though could be West Ham who have a location advantage over many other clubs, while being a lot cheaper than Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea.

Fair enough! Re: Toon's catchment area, agreed - I think @Bedfordspurs is also spot on re: Leeds' catchment area, and I'd wager they're probably close to the top for the next buyout.

Domestic catchment area doesn't really mean anything for prospective owners at the level of the Saudis - the PL and it's foreign appeal is what matters

Domestic catchment area doesn't really mean anything for prospective owners at the level of the Saudis - the PL and it's foreign appeal is what matters

True in part, but I also think there's a real estate angle to it. Being the owners of the sole PL football club in a city probably affords them all sorts of local exposure that probably eases the wheels of a lot of real estate investment in the UK, and in those areas specifically. For that, local catchment matters. the Abu Dhabi Investment Group put aside 1bn for real estate development in Manchester a while ago, nearly as much as they've put into City since 2008 - I have no doubt the Saudis will follow that model for Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

True in part, but I also think there's a real estate angle to it. Being the owners of the sole PL football club in a city probably affords them all sorts of local exposure that probably eases the wheels of a lot of real estate investment in the UK, and in those areas specifically. For that, local catchment matters. the Abu Dhabi Investment Group put aside 1bn for real estate development in Manchester a while ago, nearly as much as they've put into City since 2008 - I have no doubt the Saudis will follow that model for Saudi Sportswashing Machine.
100%
They will now attempt to finish the stadium at Saudi Sportswashing Machine and probably build a hospital to do it (the ground is half high, half low because of the hospital)
Then they can claim new £££ and as a one club city people will go

Spam would be a great buy for someone
Renting the stadium is no different to city
I wonder if the London thing actually puts people off
London as a place I’d loved and hated in equal measure and is almost a country in its own rights

but as we have discussed before no one is buying us For the silly money we value ourselves at

and without investment fans won’t go as much as the team will become inferior (seen that already this season)

So the income drops and the club then has less to spend but ultimately becomes less valuable

Back