• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I don’t believe Joe Lewis is a Spurs fan man and boy
I believe form what I’ve read he doesn’t care about football and just loves golf
You rightly mentioned this age and that’s why I don’t get why he hasn’t sold already. I put it down to the crazy price that has been given to the club with the huge debt attached
If they sold the club for £100m their return would be amazing
And at £B considering the actual lack of investment made by them in £££ terms the return would be phenomenal
But of course that only happens if they have a buyer at a price their happy with
It's f.ck all really in wider business terms...Compared to unicorns in the tech world etc... football clubs are much harder work. It's been a life's work for Levy and far from a smooth path, with unpredictable events and uneven playing fields as well to contend with.

He's got thick skin I'll give him that.

I'm not really old enough to have held concerns for 20+ years ;)

I have held reasonably large stakes in a couple of companies for over 10 years though. I think both still have some way to go in terms of appreciation.

Do you really think the Glaziers should be held up as a yardstick to judge football club owners by? Why would you choose them and not Nassef Sawiris and Wesley Edens for example?

I have never said that Lewis or Levy are money grabbing, that is putting words in my mouth. Their biggest goal is increasing their net worth as is the case with 99%+ of investors around the World.
If I make it to 87 I have no idea what I would be doing. I think if I made it to 87 and had a net worth of £4b I'd probably try to do a bit of a Jack Walker and see if I could through some of my wealth at the football team I love and see if I could get it to win a trophy or two before I popped my clogs. Our owners have not taken a dividend for years because the asset is growing in value. I don't take dividends from many of my investments. The growth in value of the equity is good enough.

I am absolutely bloody jealous of their success mate.... We all should be! Actually though I am not a big enough risk taker to have done what Lewis did betting against the pound and as I am already more than comfortable I'm not actually that bothered at trying to increase my net worth. I prefer to spend as much time as possible with family and friends these days.

I think much of what our owners has done is excellent. I think they were excellent owner to take us from where we were in 2001 when they took over to about 2016 or so. To actually take that final step though and become a true top club we now need a reasonably large injection of liquidity. I do take issue that despite making (a paper) fortune out of THFC our owners have no desire to inject funds or dilute their ownership to bring in that liquidity.... and by the way I have both injected funds and diluted by equity for an external liquidity injections in businesses that I have owned before..... and those weren't even passion projects.

I guess what I am most disappointed about is that owning a football club should be at least part passion project. Our owners are supposed to be Spurs fans and yet it always seems incredibly difficult to see anything of the 'passion'
You come across terribly in a vindictive, bitter, scathing, disrespectful way in nearly all of your posts about Levy, conflating issues with him at every opportunity.

But the above post is fair.

Last edited:
You come across terribly in a vindictive, bitter, scathing, disrespectful way in nearly all of your posts about Levy, conflating issues with him at every opportunity.

But the above post is fair.
I'm not bitter about Levy. I think he is an extremely clever man and a brilliant business man. Why would I constantly say those things about him if I was vindictive or disrespectful of him?

I was actually very pro Levy at THFC from when he took over up until maybe 5 or so years ago. I think since then he has made a number of bad decisions that have set the club back.

Last edited:
I'm not bitter about Levy. I think he is an extremely clever man and a brilliant business man. Why would I constantly say those things about him if I was vindictive or disrespectful of him?

I was actually very pro Levy at THFC from when he took over up until maybe 5 or so years ago. I think since then he has made a number of bad decisions that have set the club back.
To post the way you do about Levy would suggest it's hard to believe you were 'very pro Levy'.

Even if he has made some mistakes in the last 5 years, I'd never bang on about him so negatively like you do if I once appreciated his work so much.

I'd also think it's worthwhile considering all situations fully from his side as well before sentencing him. Plus although he hires managers etc he at some point has to hope they are responsible for their own performance, rather than the fault always ending up at his door. After all they are supposed to be experts in their field. 'But he's the one that doesn't back them?'? I'm sure any budgets for transfers and wages are fully communicated around the table, so it's not that they aren't 'backed', it's that they are not backed with a budget that the average fan agrees with (although knowing didly squat about what numbers feed into that allowance)

To post the way you do about Levy would suggest it's hard to believe you were 'very pro Levy'.

Even if he has made some mistakes in the last 5 years, I'd never bang on about him so negatively like you do if I once appreciated his work so much.

I'd also think it's worthwhile considering all situations fully from his side as well before sentencing him. Plus although he hires managers etc he at some point has to hope they are responsible for their own performance, rather than the fault always ending up at his door. After all they are supposed to be experts in their field. 'But he's the one that doesn't back them?'? I'm sure any budgets for transfers and wages are fully communicated around the table, so it's not that they aren't 'backed', it's that they are not backed with a budget that the average fan agrees with (although knowing didly squat about what numbers feed into that allowance)
Hard to believe maybe but what I say here is true. I appreciate what he did at Spurs for several years and he has been handsomely rewarded for that.

Lots of people managed to bang on negatively about Pochettino after appreciating his work for years. Same thing really.

I don't agree. @Finney Is Back 's post are mostly well reasoned and informative, critical but not offensive towards ENiC. At times there is a sense on here that ENIC should be given credit for all that is good and not held accountable for what is not so good. I have shifted from being very pro Levy to being more on the fence these days.

I don’t believe Joe Lewis is a Spurs fan man and boy
I believe form what I’ve read he doesn’t care about football and just loves golf
You rightly mentioned this age and that’s why I don’t get why he hasn’t sold already. I put it down to the crazy price that has been given to the club with the huge debt attached
If they sold the club for £100m their return would be amazing
And at £B considering the actual lack of investment made by them in £££ terms the return would be phenomenal
But of course that only happens if they have a buyer at a price their happy with

Michael Dawson hung out with him some years ago and of course…he watches the games from his boat. Wouldn’t you? Of course you would! Lewis grew up not far from Spurs and pretty sure his family had some support of the club. Similar with levy.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I don't agree. @Finney Is Back 's post are mostly well reasoned and informative, critical but not offensive towards ENiC. At times there is a sense on here that ENIC should be given credit for all that is good and not held accountable for what is not so good. I have shifted from being very pro Levy to being more on the fence these days.
Thank you sir. It seems that some on here portray me as some sort of ranting fool but I always try to present my side of the argument coherently and stay cordial.

From what I can tell there are a few people on here who find it difficult to tolerate people who happen to have a different opinion to themselves and then get a bit nasty as as result. I have always felt that opinions are just opinions and there is no absolute right or wrong.

I'm not really old enough to have held concerns for 20+ years ;)

I have held reasonably large stakes in a couple of companies for over 10 years though. I think both still have some way to go in terms of appreciation.

Do you really think the Glaziers should be held up as a yardstick to judge football club owners by? Why would you choose them and not Nassef Sawiris and Wesley Edens for example?

I have never said that Lewis or Levy are money grabbing, that is putting words in my mouth. Their biggest goal is increasing their net worth as is the case with 99%+ of investors around the World.
If I make it to 87 I have no idea what I would be doing. I think if I made it to 87 and had a net worth of £4b I'd probably try to do a bit of a Jack Walker and see if I could through some of my wealth at the football team I love and see if I could get it to win a trophy or two before I popped my clogs. Our owners have not taken a dividend for years because the asset is growing in value. I don't take dividends from many of my investments. The growth in value of the equity is good enough.

I am absolutely bloody jealous of their success mate.... We all should be! Actually though I am not a big enough risk taker to have done what Lewis did betting against the pound and as I am already more than comfortable I'm not actually that bothered at trying to increase my net worth. I prefer to spend as much time as possible with family and friends these days.

I think much of what our owners has done is excellent. I think they were excellent owner to take us from where we were in 2001 when they took over to about 2016 or so. To actually take that final step though and become a true top club we now need a reasonably large injection of liquidity. I do take issue that despite making (a paper) fortune out of THFC our owners have no desire to inject funds or dilute their ownership to bring in that liquidity.... and by the way I have both injected funds and diluted by equity for an external liquidity injections in businesses that I have owned before..... and those weren't even passion projects.

I guess what I am most disappointed about is that owning a football club should be at least part passion project. Our owners are supposed to be Spurs fans and yet it always seems incredibly difficult to see anything of the 'passion'

A difference between the American and UK psyche is how we view success. In the US people celebrate success with you, here people sneer behind your back. That’s why successful English people often keep things on the low down. Why be jealous of someone else’s success?

As well as not ‘investing’ for 20+ years, I suspect another difference is where Lewis and Levy came from. Born into families that were east end working class (within a generation in levy’s case), Lewis worked his way up. He didn’t have money to invest when a kid. His wealth was built. When you know the value of money you’re less likely to then squander it. Plus to complete with City, Chelsea and PSG you need an oil well. Lewis’s liquid money is not in the same league as oil barrons. Moreover, you’re whole life you’ve developed and run businesses; ensuring they are profitable is always hard work. Why would you suddenly give up on that and pump money into a loss making concern? It wouldn’t sit right.

When was the last time Levy missed a game? Lewis is likely watching most of our games too. They haven’t taken out any money from the club; unlike a number of other clubs. So you can’t really say they are only interested in making money anymore. Just because you are with your investments it doesn’t necessarily follow that they are. Priorities change and both are already successful and wealthy. I’m sure they would love us to deliver trophies; who wouldn’t?

I think you can criticise Levy but on other issues. Some of our transfers maybe (though we don’t know how much control Poch exerted later in his tenure) plus how he’s swayed by the fans can be problematic. He needs to stick to a vision and not be swayed. He did what you wanted - he hired a DoF. Yet now you’ve got what you were calling for, you’re seemingly still bitter. In a commercial space how long would you give a competent new Manager to turn things around before undermining them and sniping? If I have a criticism of Levy it is that he listens to fans a little too much. His initial instinct to hire a more attacking Paratici is - right now - looking like a better idea. But I think Nuno will turn it around if he’s not undermined.

Last edited:
It's f.ck all really in wider business terms...Compared to unicorns in the tech world etc... football clubs are much harder work. It's been a life's work for Levy and far from a smooth path, with unpredictable events and uneven playing fields as well to contend with.

He's got thick skin I'll give him that.
The problem with the Tech world is that it is just as easy to lose a fortune as make one (I should know as I've had a few shocking investments in that sector over the past 10 years :(). Picking a company on the up and then getting out again reasonably quickly can be a reasonable strategy but some of these tech companies eat through capital ridiculously fast, they are also prone to a rival company doing exactly the same thing but better and a huge percentage of these companies will never actually make a single £ in profit.

A difference between the American and UK psyche is how we view success. In the US people celebrate success with you, here people sneer behind your back. That’s why successful English people often keep things on the low down. Why be jealous of someone else’s success?

As well as not ‘investing’ for 20+ years, I suspect another difference is where Lewis and Levy came from. Born into families that were east end working class (within a generation in levy’s case), Lewis worked his way up. He didn’t have money to invest when a kid. His wealth was built. When you know the value of money you’re less likely to then squander it. Plus to complete with City, Chelsea and PSG you need an oil well. Lewis’s liquid money is not in the same league as oil barrons. Moreover, you’re whole life you’ve developed and run businesses; ensuring they are profitable is always hard work. Why would you suddenly give up on that and pump money into a loss making concern? It wouldn’t sit right.

When was the last time Levy missed a game? Lewis is likely watching most of our games too. They haven’t taken out any money from the club; unlike a number of other clubs. So you can’t really say they are only interested in making money anymore. Just because you are with your investments it doesn’t necessarily follow that they are. Priorities change and both are already successful and wealthy. I’m sure they would love us to deliver trophies; who wouldn’t?

I think you can criticise Levy but on other issues. Some of our transfers maybe (though we don’t know how much control Poch exerted later in his tenure) plus how he’s swayed by the fans can be problematic. He needs to stick to a vision and not be swayed. He did what you wanted - he hired a DoF. Yet now you’ve got what you were calling for, you’re seemingly still bitter. In a commercial space how long would you give a competent new Manager to turn things around before you undermining them and sniping? If I have a criticism of Levy it is that he listens to fans a little too much. His initial instinct to hire Ala more attacking Paratici is - right now - looking like a better idea. But I think Nuno will turn it around if he’s not undermined.

Dunno mate, my dad was a teacher and had 6 boys to feed, we didn't have a load of money growing up and he was tight as fcuk. Now he's retired saved well he has loads of money, he squanders the fudge out of it to cold callers and roofers that promise him a brand new roof by spraying water on it.

Sometimes people change - or go fcuking mad with age.

You suspicions aren't correct..... I am also from an East End working class family.... I came into the World in Stepney Green and then moved to Walthamstow (a long while before its recent gentrification). We had no money as a family. My Dad had all sorts of jobs but amongst those he eventually put himself through evening classes etc to qualify as a lawyer when I was in my mid-teens and he had started to represent footballers who I played with/against in Sunday League, district, county and pro club academy football, kids who didn't really have anyone that they trusted to protect their interests. Despite negotiating many good contracts and sponsorships for several players my Dad never took a single penny in payment for representing a footballer. Before I was even 10 years old I decided that I wasn't going to be poor like I was back then, so I worked hard at school, went through Uni and then literally worked my arse off (and I mean like 80+ hour weeks) for 15+ years in the financial world.

My Dad actually ended up becoming a pretty successful lawyer and making a decent amount of money in his later years - and good for him, he deserved it. While we were always pretty poor the one thing he always gave me was good advice, especially in terms of staying in school and working hard academically. He was also always brutally honest with me, if I was good at something he would tell me, if not he would'nt sugar coat it. I actually turned down a pro contract at Chelsea and chose to go to University to get an Economics degree instead after a long conversation with my father about the level we thought I might end up getting to as a footballer (we both agreed it wouldn't be the top level).

After maybe 18 or so years of mental working I had a bit of a burn-out and when I look back at that period I think I was about an inch away from a complete break-down.... That was actually the best thing that ever happened to me. I realised that I had made work my life and as a result I was missing out on life and most importantly missing out on my family. I had earned a lot of money but never really enjoyed it (even when on holiday I would be working pretty much constantly, same at family does, everything).... So I pretty much kind of just stopped. I took a break, I played golf again, I took my UEFA coaching badges so that I could get involved with coaching my kids at their local football club (and not be one of those parents/coaches that hasn't got a clue) and actually started to enjoy life. I started to volunteer in schools in deprived areas to help kids with interview techniques (I still do this and also some mentoring).

I've since started to work again (as I realised I did need SOME work in my life (life as an alcoholic may have ensued otherwise!) but not in the same way I used to. I now have the right sort of balance (as evidenced by the amount of time I spend on here instead of actually 'working' ;)

Anyway - that's all a rather long life story there and sorry for going so off topic. But that's why it is folly to say that I don't respect Daniel Levy. I respect him massively, I don't think I could be as involved as he is in something for so long. Respecting him and thinking he has done a good job over the last few years do not have to go hand in hand however.

Great post and genuinely interested family history there so thank you. Always happy when I heare spurs fans are doing well, so we'll done.

Out of interest do you think that Levy could have done better for himself if he worked elsewhere?

It's something that I have thought about, the man has obvious emmense talent yet he has dedicated a large part of his professional life to spurs. Made a huge paper profit I agree, but could he have earned more elsewhere? If he didn't have affection for the club do you believe he would have maybe taken a more rewarding career path?

I guess a pertinent question is do you believe him when he says that that he sees himself as a custodian and all that intails?

Great post and genuinely interested family history there so thank you. Always happy when I heare spurs fans are doing well, so we'll done.

Out of interest do you think that Levy could have done better for himself if he worked elsewhere?

It's something that I have thought about, the man has obvious emmense talent yet he has dedicated a large part of his professional life to spurs. Made a huge paper profit I agree, but could he have earned more elsewhere? If he didn't have affection for the club do you believe he would have maybe taken a more rewarding career path?

I guess a pertinent question is do you believe him when he says that that he sees himself as a custodian and all that intails?
He got a first class honours degree from Cambridge so he is clearly of the highest intellect.

He has turned several million quid from selling Mr Byrite (and I think another clothes brand after that?) into whatever we think his THFC stake is now worth - let's say for arguments sake £319m (I think more but it seems contentious to some people). Even as a hugely talented businessman you would have to go some (and have some luck along the way) to make that sort of money. I think Levy does see himself as the custodian of the club yes and that is absolutely what he has been for 20 years.

He got a first class honours degree from Cambridge so he is clearly of the highest intellect.

He has turned several million quid from selling Mr Byrite (and I think another clothes brand after that?) into whatever we think his THFC stake is now worth - let's say for arguments sake £350m. Even as a hugely talented businessman you would have to go some (and have some luck along the way) to make that sort of money. I think Levy does see himself as the custodian of the club yes and that is absolutely what he has been for 20 years.

That's the thing. He has never been a multi billionaire. He helped set up enic with backing from lewis and others. They bought the others out. He then sold most of enics other investments (including autonomy), in order to buy spurs. It is self sufficient. Levy can't plough money into us, he hasn't got it.

Nearly everything he has is invested in spurs. Ofcourse he plays it safe at times. Maybe too much.

We can disagree that maybe he should have invested more on the pitch than the stadium/training ground. We can say he's made mistakes in mansgers/players etc... but you can't have a go at the guy for not investing in the club or not wanting us to do well. He's up to the neck and has been for 20 years.

You suspicions aren't correct..... I am also from an East End working class family.... I came into the World in Stepney Green and then moved to Walthamstow (a long while before its recent gentrification). We had no money as a family. My Dad had all sorts of jobs but amongst those he eventually put himself through evening classes etc to qualify as a lawyer when I was in my mid-teens and he had started to represent footballers who I played with/against in Sunday League, district, county and pro club academy football, kids who didn't really have anyone that they trusted to protect their interests. Despite negotiating many good contracts and sponsorships for several players my Dad never took a single penny in payment for representing a footballer. Before I was even 10 years old I decided that I wasn't going to be poor like I was back then, so I worked hard at school, went through Uni and then literally worked my arse off (and I mean like 80+ hour weeks) for 15+ years in the financial world.

My Dad actually ended up becoming a pretty successful lawyer and making a decent amount of money in his later years - and good for him, he deserved it. While we were always pretty poor the one thing he always gave me was good advice, especially in terms of staying in school and working hard academically. He was also always brutally honest with me, if I was good at something he would tell me, if not he would'nt sugar coat it. I actually turned down a pro contract at Chelsea and chose to go to University to get an Economics degree instead after a long conversation with my father about the level we thought I might end up getting to as a footballer (we both agreed it wouldn't be the top level).

After maybe 18 or so years of mental working I had a bit of a burn-out and when I look back at that period I think I was about an inch away from a complete break-down.... That was actually the best thing that ever happened to me. I realised that I had made work my life and as a result I was missing out on life and most importantly missing out on my family. I had earned a lot of money but never really enjoyed it (even when on holiday I would be working pretty much constantly, same at family does, everything).... So I pretty much kind of just stopped. I took a break, I played golf again, I took my UEFA coaching badges so that I could get involved with coaching my kids at their local football club (and not be one of those parents/coaches that hasn't got a clue) and actually started to enjoy life. I started to volunteer in schools in deprived areas to help kids with interview techniques (I still do this and also some mentoring).

I've since started to work again (as I realised I did need SOME work in my life (life as an alcoholic may have ensued otherwise!) but not in the same way I used to. I now think (hope!) I have the right sort of balance (as evidenced by the amount of time I spend on here instead of actually 'working' ;)

Anyway - that's all a rather long life story there and sorry for going so off topic. But that's why it is folly to say that I don't respect Daniel Levy. I respect him massively, I don't think I could be as involved as he is in something for so long. Respecting him and thinking he has done a good job over the last few years do not have to go hand in hand however.

Great post, really enjoyed reading it. Looks like you made some great decisions at various points in your life that prevented you from becoming something terrible like an alcoholic, absent dad, burnt out/broken or worst of all... a Chelsea player.

Na seriously, great post sir.

Great post, really enjoyed reading it. Looks like you made some great decisions at various points in your life that prevented you from becoming something terrible like an alcoholic, absent dad, burnt out/broken or worst of all... a Chelsea player.

Na seriously, great post sir.
I know….Chelsea player

although anyone who got that far in football deserves credit

Eh.... Agree.

I've since started to work again (as I realised I did need SOME work in my life (life as an alcoholic may have ensued otherwise!) but not in the same way I used to. I now think (hope!) I have the right sort of balance (as evidenced by the amount of time I spend on here instead of actually 'working' ;)

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

A difference between the American and UK psyche is how we view success. In the US people celebrate success with you, here people sneer behind your back. That’s why successful English people often keep things on the low down. Why be jealous of someone else’s success?...

I think the entire definition of 'success' needs looking at personally, as it requires both context and personal choice/perspective. One person's success is another person's failure. I know I know, getting a little out there BUT I have some views on this specific subject.

I think the main core of the Lewis/Levy/ENIC debate comes down to whether we would agree that investment in the footballing side is less than other areas of the business. Short-term the answer is obvious, so I am referring to the long-term.

Thanks for sharing your story, excellent stuff.

Back