• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

We've got Levy....
DANNY BOY LEVY.....
I just don't think you understand...
He's built this white hart lane...
And he's never selling Kane...
We've got Daniel Levy....

Well I can hear it working in my head :)

I feel like Danny Boy himself would correct you when you got to that line - 'It's the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, thank you very much.' :p

For those that remember, how supportive was the chairman in Nicholson's time as manager? And I was too young to consider Scholar's involvement with Burkinshaw?
The reason for asking is, is Levy Tottenham's greatest ever chairman?

Not speaking from experience in Nicholson's case, but we broke the transfer record for Greaves so I'd imagine fairly supportive. IIRC, the Gascoigne fee also wasn't far off being a record, and I'd imagine luring Lineker was no mean feat either (though the fee itself wasn't huge).

Such snapshot examples clearly don't paint the full picture though, and I doubt many could seriously argue Levy wouldn't at the very least be right in the discussion.

Not speaking from experience in Nicholson's case, but we broke the transfer record for Greaves so I'd imagine fairly supportive. IIRC, the Gascoigne fee also wasn't far off being a record, and I'd imagine luring Lineker was no mean feat either (though the fee itself wasn't huge).

Such snapshot examples clearly don't paint the full picture though, and I doubt many could seriously argue Levy wouldn't at the very least be right in the discussion.
I'm guessing both invested in infrastructure too, Scholar with the new West Stand at least?

Edit, looks like Scholar was only responsible for the East Stand boxes:
In 1962, 2,600 seats were fitted at the back of the South Stand (on Park Lane), followed the next year by 3,500 seats at the North (Paxton Road) Stand, which was further extended in 1968 to link up with the West Stand to give a further 1,400 seats.[14] The South and West stands were linked in 1973 that added further seats, but the capacity of the ground dropped overall as seats replaced standing terraces.

In 1980, in a bid to improve facilities and upgrade what were then considered outdated stadium, a new phase of redevelopment began that would transformed the ground. The new chairman Arthur Richardson green-lit the project over the skepticism of previous chairman Sidney Wale.[32] The old West Stand was demolished in November 1980 to be replaced by a new stand designed by Ernest Atherden that had 6,500 seats and featured 72 executive boxes.[16] The new West Stand opened 15 months later on 6 February 1982 for a match against Wolverhampton Wanderers, won by Spurs 6–1 with a hat-trick from Ricky Villa.[32] However, cost overruns in the project, which rose from £3.5 million to £6 million, and the cost of rebuilding the team resulted in financial difficulties for the club.[32] Irving Scholar took advantage of a rift in the boardroom and bought out the shares of Wale, leading to a change of directors.[33]

The East Stand in 1991 – the upper part of The Shelf had been replaced by executive boxes, but the remaining standing terraces had not yet been replaced by seats
In 1985, a plan to demolish and rebuild the East Stand was rejected by Haringey Council. In 1988, the club decided to proceed instead with a refurbishment of the East Stand despite objections by fans. The long stretch of raised standing terrace on the East Stand, known by fans as The Shelf,[34] was redesigned to include the installation of executive boxes replacing the upper section of the standing terrace. Work on the East Stand however caused the opening game of the 1988–89 season against Coventry to be postponed a few hours before kickoff.[16][35] The East Stand was closed that season. Work on the stadium continued in the summer of 1989 and the refurbished East Stand opened on 18 October 1989 for the North London Derby.[14] The cost of the project however doubled to over £8 million; this, together with other financial problems, would again led to a change of directors at the club in 1991.[33]

Last edited:
For those that remember, how supportive was the chairman in Nicholson's time as manager? And I was too young to consider Scholar's involvement with Burkinshaw?
The reason for asking is, is Levy Tottenham's greatest ever chairman?

Greatest ever will always be a controversial statement, I think what is without doubt now is

- Levy is the chairman that picked us up when there was a real danger of us being forever stuck in midtable or fading away (Leeds, Villa, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Everton as examples were all doing better than us at the time) and made us European regulars (12 campaigns since qualifying again for the first time in decades), but more importantly -> by investing in the infrastructure (training facilities, stadium) and PR (US and far east, with now over 200 official supporters clubs globally) he has future proofed the club as much as is possible.

- He plays the long game greater than anyone ever has or likely will, the first acquisition on the stadium project was 18 years ago .. (how many people on this board regularly said the stadium was a ruse for years?). We all need to be a little patient, the money will come as a result and we will be better placed to compete.

Greatest ever will always be a controversial statement, I think what is without doubt now is

- Levy is the chairman that picked us up when there was a real danger of us being forever stuck in midtable or fading away (Leeds, Villa, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Everton as examples were all doing better than us at the time) and made us European regulars (12 campaigns since qualifying again for the first time in decades), but more importantly -> by investing in the infrastructure (training facilities, stadium) and PR (US and far east, with now over 200 official supporters clubs globally) he has future proofed the club as much as is possible.

- He plays the long game greater than anyone ever has or likely will, the first acquisition on the stadium project was 18 years ago .. (how many people on this board regularly said the stadium was a ruse for years?). We all need to be a little patient, the money will come as a result and we will be better placed to compete.

I could not agree more with all of that, he has also given us fans pride back in our club which had sunk so low before he came along.

I posted this in the stadium thread but it may well have got lost so I'll put it up here.
The picture makes me chuckle, and it's easy to assign a jokey caption to it, if one so desired, about being picky about the colour of grass or uneven surfaces.
But perhaps, slightly seriously, it captures something about him that has driven this project and his relentless (interminable?) drive for quality.

11391972-0-image-a-9_1553435921651.jpg

The reason for asking is, is Levy Tottenham's gr
eatest ever chairman?
There was basically no media coverage of the Board back in the 50s but Nicholson's appointment as manager in October 1958 saw him launch a spending spree with five major signings: winger Cliff Jones (fee was a record for a winger); left-half Dave Mackay; keeper Bill Brown; inside-right John White and wing-half Tony Marchi who was brought back from Italy. First-team squads were much smaller in those days so apart from a couple of minor signings that was about it until the arrival of Jimmy Greaves two years later for a British record fee of £99,999.00.

There was basically no media coverage of the Board back in the 50s but Nicholson's appointment as manager in October 1958 saw him launch a spending spree with five major signings: winger Cliff Jones (fee was a record for a winger); left-half Dave Mackay; keeper Bill Brown; inside-right John White and wing-half Tony Marchi who was bought back from Italy. First-team squads were much smaller in those days so apart from a couple of minor signings that was about it until the arrival of Jimmy Greaves two years later for a British record fee of £99,999.00.
Although they sometimes seemed to drag their feet, as the squad got older the Board continued to back Billy Nick all the way through with major signings including Alan Gilzean, Jimmy Robertson, Alan Mullery, Mike England, Terry Venables, Cyril Knowles, Martin Peters (for a then British record fee), Martin Chivers, Ralph Coates and, though for a relatively small fee, a young and still raw Pat Jennings.

Although they sometimes seemed to drag their feet, as the squad got older the Board continued to back Billy Nick all the way through with major signings including Alan Gilzean, Jimmy Robertson, Alan Mullery, Mike England, Terry Venables, Cyril Knowles, Martin Peters (for a then British record fee), Martin Chivers, Ralph Coates and, though for a relatively small fee, a young and still raw Pat Jennings.

We broke the British transfer record *twice* back then? For Greaves, and then Peters? o_O

Goddamn. We were a very different club back then.

No wonder those were the glory years. We were really going for it.

We broke the British transfer record *twice* back then? For Greaves, and then Peters? o_O

Goddamn. We were a very different club back then.

No wonder those were the glory years. We were really going for it.
It ought to be noted that in those days Italian clubs were paying much higher fees for a steady trickle of British players. But alongside Everton, Manu and to a lesser extent Arsenal we were generally regarded as among the wealthiest clubs in England.

In the decades following WW2 it was not exactly rare for us to break British transfer records. In the late 1940s we paid a record fee for a full back in bringing Alf Ramsey (later Sir) from Southampton, and in the early 1950s we paid what was then a British record for a wing-half for Danny Blanchflower. We were basically regarded as a cheque-book club.

How times have changed!

We broke it again for Gazza at £2m. Wasn’t the record for long though if I recall, as Everton inexplicably decided to pay £2.2m for Tony Cottee!

We also bought Paul Stewart for £1.7m around the same time, which was another huge fee back then!

We broke it again for Gazza at £2m. Wasn’t the record for long though if I recall, as Everton inexplicably decided to pay £2.2m for Tony Cottee!

We also bought Paul Stewart for £1.7m around the same time, which was another huge fee back then!

One diving header against Liverpool aside that was money wasted.

That Marina Nimmo would get it, she has a nice look.

Anyone know where you can buy the stuff she does, think I will put on some brute and walk into her gallery and knock her bandy.

Back