• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I said it at the time but i haven’t seen one player that transferred on the last 2 windows thanks better than we had other than Mahrez

Could argue we should have gambled on Brooks but he wouldn’t have got guarantees games
I like Maddison at Leicester. Few payers have stood out for ripping us apart. Salah at chelsea, Fiorentina and pool and Mahrez have all stood out against us

I like Maddison at Leicester. Few payers have stood out for ripping us apart. Salah at chelsea, Fiorentina and pool and Mahrez have all stood out against us

Mahrez was already out of our price range and had a deal lined up with city

Maddison is flaky but can play. I wanted him this summer even with his anti spurs tweets

Salad has a great record vs us but this season he looks more like the salad I expected

You missed out Basle as well!! I wanted us to sign Salah since then, he tore us apart and he has done in most games since for whoever he plays for. Obviously the ship has sailed now and he’s a massive C of course!

Or it could be argued that poch didn’t want players that the club could afford

Redknapp came out and said Poch chose not buy not Levy... and I’d argue that he knows more than we do about the club

Did Levy provide a big enough budget? The transfer budget isn’t worked out on a universally applied formula. Chairmen decide on how much risk they are willing to take. Levy is a great businessman and has been spectacularly good for us but he’s very cautious as our wage spend proves. Sometimes, you have to take a risk.

Could have signed Fred or Jorginho who have both been poor for £50m

Torreira has been decent for Woolwich. Fabinho has been good for The Dippers as has Keita. Maddison is a decent player. Grealish showed his quality today again. Mitrovic has looked good for Fulham. Ryan Sessegnon has bags of potential. Brooks has been very good for Bournemouth.

None of those are blockbuster signings granted. But they’d have added to the squad and contributed. And they’re just lads playing in England. I’m sure there are others in other leagues who would have added to our squad too.

Did Levy provide a big enough budget? The transfer budget isn’t worked out on a universally applied formula. Chairmen decide on how much risk they are willing to take. Levy is a great businessman and has been spectacularly good for us but he’s very cautious as our wage spend proves. Sometimes, you have to take a risk.

Do you think the time to take risks is whilst we have a stadium being built?

Depends on how one defines the risk really; risk of not getting the best sponsors, naming rights etc if outside the top 4 vs risk of buying a player/players to reduce the likelihood of failing to get top 4...

I'm a big Levy fan - who wouldnt be given how the club has changed under his leadership?

That said, the combination of not being able to sign anyone as well as not being able to flog the deadwood, does point the finger at our transfer policy being to blame. Not definitively, but does suggest we're not willing to pay the asking prices, and asking for overly high prices for those which we're happy to flog.

Hopefully now that the stadium total cost is definitively known and we know when we're moving in (almost), the summer window can be a little more productive

Torreira has been decent for Woolwich. Fabinho has been good for The Dippers as has Keita. Maddison is a decent player. Grealish showed his quality today again. Mitrovic has looked good for Fulham. Ryan Sessegnon has bags of potential. Brooks has been very good for Bournemouth.

None of those are blockbuster signings granted. But they’d have added to the squad and contributed. And they’re just lads playing in England. I’m sure there are others in other leagues who would have added to our squad too.

Some of them weren’t signed in the last window or sold ... which is what I was referring too

I’d add that Torreira has faded massively but has had some great games. Keita has been a flop so far iMo for £60m

Fabinho has been decent but he is one of their midfielders whose lack of attacking prowess will be why they won’t win the league.

Who knows what Greakish could have done in a better side ... we may never know

Our wage spend has been proportionate to our turnover

It’s increasing as our turnover has increased

Do you think the time to take risks is whilst we have a stadium being built?

Yes. We had a good chunk of money in the bank. We don’t have to pay the stadium cost all in one go. We could have taken a risk on a good player or two and not bankrupted ourselves.

These things are not absolutes. “Building stadium” doesn’t not equal “can’t buy players”. That’s a choice the chairman makes. But if he decides not to invest in quality, he has to accept that there is a massive risk that we regress on the field. Pochettino can only keep us punching above our weight for so long.

Yes. We had a good chunk of money in the bank. We don’t have to pay the stadium cost all in one go. We could have taken a risk on a good player or two and not bankrupted ourselves.

These things are not absolutes. “Building stadium” doesn’t not equal “can’t buy players”. That’s a choice the chairman makes. But if he decides not to invest in quality, he has to accept that there is a massive risk that we regress on the field. Pochettino can only keep us punching above our weight for so long.

Keep in mind the stadium opening was delayed a year (meaning unquanitifiable extra costs) a naming rights deal was not signed and the final cost was unknown.

I find it hard to say in those circumstances we should be taking on extra financial risks.

If we compare to the only other comparable club stadium build in recent history (Arsenal) then the bold doesn't really ring true - they needed ten years of balancing the books WITH a naming rights deal in place.

Last edited:
Back