• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Erm sorry don't believe you Oliver !!

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has insisted vaccine passports will not be introduced on a "permanent basis".

"Of course we would never look to do this on a permanent basis, it's just whether it might be a tool in the short-term," he told the Andrew Marr Show on the BBC.

He stressed no decisions had yet been made on Covid certification, but "it's important to examine it".

Mark Woolhouse, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at the University of Edinburgh, said vaccine passports were something that needed to be considered.

"It's certainly something we have to consider seriously, as part of a wider package of measures that are designed to make our activities safe," he told Andrew Marr.

"Over the last year, when we have tried to make ourselves safe, we have tended to do this by stopping activities," he said, referring to the lockdown measures

"Part of the point of living with this virus, is we have to switch emphasis," said Prof Woolhouse.

Behind the curve, as ever, and incapable of seeing that many aspects of the world, not least the world of employment, have changed forever.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ack-to-the-office-call?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I like working from my spare room, no way I want to go back to commuting into London 5 days a week.

But to use the term "days off" is hugely counter to the reality, I've never worked as hard in my life, I'm drained by 6pm each day. The only thing remote work has removed from my day are chats at the Nespresso, meetings which could have been emails on the roof terrace and long boozy lunches.

The last of which is where I expect Boris' thoughts have come from, I used to spend about £20 a day on breakfast/lunch/afterwork pints in the area near my office.

I like working from my spare room, no way I want to go back to commuting into London 5 days a week.

But to use the term "days off" is hugely counter to the reality, I've never worked as hard in my life, I'm drained by 6pm each day. The only thing remote work has removed from my day are chats at the Nespresso, meetings which could have been emails on the roof terrace and long boozy lunches.

The last of which is where I expect Boris' thoughts have come from, I used to spend about £20 a day on breakfast/lunch/afterwork pints in the area near my office.

I'm with you, apart from the last 6 weeks where I've suffered from a huge lack of motivation mainly due to how I feel I've been treated and also it's a quiet time I've worked way above what I needed to do
Always logged on by 6.45am often working until late evening too, that has 100% stopped now and will until I start somewhere new
The handover I'm doing the next 5 months will not take anywhere near that so I intend to have a nice summer at my companies expense time wise

Golf is back from tomorrow so I intend to spend a lot of the next few work months playing and practising
The 2 conversations I've had about possible new jobs have both already told me I don't have to go into their London offices at all unless I want too

There seems to be a very clear divide between those who like to work hard and want to return to the office, and those who like to do the minimum and want to stay at home.

Good on Boris for forcing the issue.
Not everybody who doesn't want to go back is a dosser Scara
I'll go back to London over the summer but only really from a social side, meeting up with pals, colleagues to go on the tinkle, etc

Not everybody who doesn't want to go back is a dosser Scara
I'll go back to London over the summer but only really from a social side, meeting up with pals, colleagues to go on the tinkle, etc
If your boss wants you in the office, isn't it only right that you do that? What you prefer unfortunately isn't a factor.

Yeah I’ve also been working much harder and feel exhausted after a year at home with all the system latency and dropouts plus an insane push from newly promoted managers to considerably reduce the time within service level agreements.

It was only ever meant to be a temporary gap filler of a job I’ve ended up doing two frigging years.

And now tax is going to make working even less attractive.

So I’m turning it in. Will be going part time and my earnings will be at treading water levels whilst I complete a postgraduate course.

If your boss wants you in the office, isn't it only right that you do that? What you prefer unfortunately isn't a factor.
Our bosses don't want us all back though and they have also surveyed all staff to ask what they want to do
They have got rid of floor space already and at most offices will be at 65% capacity tops, we're in The Cheesegrater so it's a saving of around £8.5m a year

There seems to be a very clear divide between those who like to work hard and want to return to the office, and those who like to do the minimum and want to stay at home.

Good on Boris for forcing the issue.

There is some truth here - but the salient question is, which part of the bridge is home and which is office?
Under the bridge is clearly the workplace, as you well know, but it also appears to be home.

Yeah I’ve also been working much harder and feel exhausted after a year at home with all the system latency and dropouts plus an insane push from newly promoted managers to considerably reduce the time within service level agreements.

It was only ever meant to be a temporary gap filler of a job I’ve ended up doing two frigging years.

And now tax is going to make working even less attractive.

So I’m turning it in. Will be going part time and my earnings will be at treading water levels whilst I complete a postgraduate course.

Easily done, I picked up an IT job for some easy money one summer, still in IT 25 years later, never particularly enjoyed it.

On a serious note, we are a few years away from having a clear picture because transmission of covid and variants/seasonality impacts, especially during winter, will determine how much social distancing is needed a work environment.

On your Uber capitalist approach of "boss says, worker does" (you should be Japanese btw - not sarcasm, you'd love it) - even capitalism understands the correlation between a happy and healthy workforce to productivity and why effective performance management is key. If underperformance is happening at home Vs the office, then I. The management needs looking at II. If it's a constant, then the employee should be in the office.

I'm actually surprised you haven't noticed it as the carrot and stick measure it is - it's perfect; "WE will LET YOU work from home; if performance drops you will return to the office". Sounds right up your street.

Yeah, everyone from the Nationwide to our local council are announcing that they will keep flexible working going forward. It’s having an effect on teaching too - a lot of online jobs beginning to appear.

I read a lot on stocks and shares and apparently the funds which have commercial property in them like offices are bleeding heavily.

I do wonder if any of the fund managers donate to a political party.

Really missed working when I was furloughed but I am different to you guys in that I do part time retail and only did it to pay some medical bills and because I think it important to get up and out the house each morning (I do 3 shifts a week and two are afternoon starts)

A single dose of the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines was effective at stopping 62% of coronavirus infections in care homes, a study has found.

A team at University College London (UCL) looked at data from 10,000 adults in England with an average age of 86.

The research also suggested those who did catch the virus after vaccination may be less infectious.

"Our data suggests that both vaccines are effective in frail, older adults," said the university's Dr Maddie Shroti.

The study analysed coronavirus test-result data for 10,412 long-term residents, all aged over 65, at 310 care homes.

Highly transmissible variant
The group had routine monthly PCR tests for the virus as well as further targeted tests if an outbreak was suspected.

Of the 36,352 tests carried out between December 2020 and mid-March, 1,335 came back positive for the disease.

By comparing those with the number of cases before vaccination, the researchers estimated both jabs were effective at preventing 56% of infections after four weeks, rising to 62% after five weeks.

The timing and scale of the protective effect was similar for both the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines.

"Our findings show that a single dose has an effect that persists from four weeks to at least seven weeks after vaccination," said Dr Laura Shallcross, a public health medicine consultant at the Institute of Health Informatics at UCL.

"We can also infer that the vaccines protect against the highly transmissible UK variant, as this was prevalent during the study period."

Around a quarter of coronavirus deaths in England and Wales have occurred in care homes, according to the latest data from the Office of National Statistics.

Other elderly residents are likely to have caught the virus in a home before being transferred to hospital and dying there.

Potentially less infectious
Around 11% of care home residents in the study had already been infected with coronavirus in the past.

A single dose of either vaccine appeared to have little impact on that group, indicating those with a previous infection were already well-protected.

A small proportion did catch the disease in the weeks after being given a single jab. But researchers said laboratory tests on samples from that group suggested they might be less infectious than those who had not yet received a vaccine.

"It's early data but we think that is potentially very significant, especially in a care home setting," said Laura Shallcross, at UCL.

Although protection from a first dose in the study was described as "substantial", the research team said a second follow-up shot would still be important to increase the duration of immunity, and to maximise protection that is provided by vaccination.

The UCL research, which was funded by the Department of Health and Social Care, is part of the continuing Vivaldi study, investigating Covid-19 infections in care homes.

Professor Chris Whitty , chief medical officer for England, said: "These data add to the growing evidence that vaccines are reducing Covid-19 infections and doing so in vulnerable and older populations, where it is most important that we provide as much protection from Covid as possible."

No deaths have been reported in London due to Covid-19 for the first time in six months, official figures show.

Public Health England (PHE) figures for 28 March showed no deaths had been registered of patients within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test.

At the height of the crisis last April, about 230 deaths a day linked to the virus were recorded in London.

Back