• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Today I found out that one of my US colleagues (35 year old salesman type) had his jab in the USA and a week later flew from Pennsylvania to Idaho to go skiing for a week.

He is now back at home, suffering from coronavirus.

He works in oncology and had a good education and you would think is not dumb.

yeh won't be surprised this happens a lot. A bit different in UK as things are locked down so can't really go anywhere, but as part of the vaccination programme they need to stress it's basically useless until around 2 weeks after when efficacy has raised to a sufficient level. I do worry a lot people will get jabbed and think "great i'm immunised now" when it takes weeks after.

Today I found out that one of my US colleagues (35 year old salesman type) had his jab in the USA and a week later flew from Pennsylvania to Idaho to go skiing for a week.

He is now back at home, suffering from coronavirus.

He works in oncology and had a good education and you would think is not dumb.

Seems that America believes the Biden administration has already succeeded in ending the pandemic, as my relatives in NJ are once again hosting big birthday parties for their teenage offspring without a mask in sight and I saw on news how thousands of college students have been causing their usual spring break carnage.

Boris totally dodging the question about the ban on foreign travel - unless you happen to have a holiday home abroad, then it's allowed (maybe not officially for holidays, but enough exceptions to make it a nice loophole for those fortunate enough to have such a property).

Boris totally dodging the question about the ban on foreign travel - unless you happen to have a holiday home abroad, then it's allowed (maybe not officially for holidays, but enough exceptions to make it a nice loophole for those fortunate enough to have such a property).

I dont really care what people go abroad for, consider it none of my business. But they should pay for a quarantine hotel and pay upfront on their return and be bussed straight to it.

It does feel that there is an element of expectation-conditioning going on and I can imagine the 12 April date being pushed back. There would have to be data to back it up though and if there is another wave believed to be coming from Europe, then that would show that home-quarantine isn't working? In which case the government should look again at the border policy and hotel quarantine requirements (assuming they won't actually ban travel from Europe).
There was an expert of some kind on Andrew Marr yesterday saying that she expected low-level restrictions (e.g. mask wearing, social distancing) to be in place for another two years. Mask wearing might be doable, but if other restrictions go on much beyond summer I think we will be in for some serious public disorder.

As an aside, whilst I want to believe there wasn't any ill intent in the words, Boris could have chosen a better phrase than "wash up on these shores".
I think masks are with us for a while, in some circumstances...

For example - still have to wear them in shops, shopping centres, supermarkets, etc. Airports, train stations, obvs then on planes and trains. Also that when you're in a pub or restaurant and walking about you should wear a mask.

I think it could be a thing till Jan 2022, and to be honest I could live with that.

Not good news for The UK.

UK may face harder job getting EU vaccines after Brussels tightens export rules
By Euronews • Updated: 24/03/2021 - 13:00

The European Commission will tighten the criteria to authorise the export of EU-made coronavirus vaccines in a bid to secure supplies for citizens inside the bloc.

The move follows weeks of shortages and delays, especially related to Anglo-Swedish company AstraZeneca, which has caused great frustration across the continent.

Brussels plans to incorporate the principles of "proportionality and reciprocity" into the transparency mechanism that was introduced at the end of January and will assess "case by case" the export requests from pharmaceutical companies.

This means vaccination-leading countries like the UK could face a harder task getting vaccines from EU countries.
https://www.euronews...mBreakingNews=1

The European Commission will tighten the criteria to authorise the export of EU-made coronavirus vaccines in a bid to secure supplies for citizens inside the bloc.

The move follows weeks of shortages and delays, especially related to Anglo-Swedish company AstraZeneca, which has caused great frustration across the continent.

Brussels plans to incorporate the principles of "proportionality and reciprocity" into the transparency mechanism that was introduced at the end of January and will assess "case by case" the export requests from pharmaceutical companies.

This means vaccination-leading countries like the UK could face a harder task getting vaccines from EU countries.

Doesn't really impact us for AZ as majority is made in UK for UK. We have a 5m ship due from India and only a few million from EU to come in, so negligible.

Bigger concern if it hits Pfizer or Moderna

Maybe we can trade some for some Pfizer raw materials....

Back