• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Absolutely appalling headline from the Guardian tomorrow about a row between Britain and the EU trying to stir up hate. The row is between the EU and a private company.

They should have brought the vaccines at an early stage like we did. Reading the translations of some of the European newspapers makes interesting reading.

I’d say all the front pages are pretty shameful today given that not one of them features as their main headline the announced deaths of 1700+ British citizens yesterday, most of which are due to government inaction and mismanagement.

If the term "best efforts" is in the contract between AZ and the EU, then that is actually a very onerous obligation. It's being said as if it's a get-out from having to deliver whereas in fact it means the complete opposite. "Best efforts" in contract law* means you have to do pretty much everything and anything possible to meet your obligations, even if it's not in the best interests of your company (short of bankruptcy).
I review and negotiate contracts and if I see a best efforts obligation a line goes straight through it.

*It would depend on the law governing the contract as to how stringently it is interpreted should it come to court but nonetheless it is an obligation, not a get-out.
But usually the pace of any legal challenge/court case is hardly going to fit in with the urgency of vaccine delivery.

If we have secured decent supply and quantity of the AZ vaccine, can we not 'trade on' some of our other supplies to our EU friends (Pfizer etc).

With the ease of administering the AZ vac I can see the others falling out of favour quickly. But if the EU are scratching around, maybe they'd like to talk about a deal:D, for the Pfizer stuff.

If we have secured decent supply and quantity of the AZ vaccine, can we not 'trade on' some of our other supplies to our EU friends (Pfizer etc).

With the ease of administering the AZ vac I can see the others falling out of favour quickly. But if the EU are scratching around, maybe they'd like to talk about a deal:D, for the Pfizer stuff.

I bet we'd still manage to end up on the worst end of the deal!

Seriously though if we do have surplus I'd like to see us take the Norway approach of giving it away to poorer countries.

I’d say all the front pages are pretty shameful today given that not one of them features as their main headline the announced deaths of 1700+ British citizens yesterday, most of which are due to government inaction and mismanagement.

The government have been absolutely appalling and anyone who says otherwise and you will notice I have criticised them. But how about we give other people criticism when they deserve it, otherwise you end up becoming bipartisan and prejudiced. We need to criticise wherever the is wrong doing.

I know we ordered a boat load of the AZ one but I still think we are rumoured to expect our own supply issues. I don't think we have enough as it stands to keep going at the current rate for everyone. Some AZ spokesperson mentioned in a month or two they could expect production to ramp up but couldn't give any guarantees on continuous supply. Still though, We have done quite well to get this far, fingers crossed it continues.

I'm pretty split on that tbh - the information is covered by media sources and talk shows, but we are all feeling weary and anxiety is huge, I don't think it needs ramming down people's throats by being the first thing you see if go on BBC website or walk into Sainsbury's.
Yes reporting and accountability is really important, but so is balancing it with creating too much extra pressure.
I would actually extend that to our Govt too - they are being held accountable by parliament and a decent amount of to the media, but it can also become counterproductive and this is way bigger than politics, especially in winter lockdown.

I know we ordered a boat load of the AZ one but I still think we are rumoured to expect our own supply issues. I don't think we have enough as it stands to keep going at the current rate for everyone. Some AZ spokesperson mentioned in a month or two they could expect production to ramp up but couldn't give any guarantees on continuous supply. Still though, We have done quite well to get this far, fingers crossed it continues.
It was inevitable that supply issue would occur and will increase throughout 2021 as the world needs supply.
It actually think it's the reason behind the one dose strategy - get everyone some protection for now and get things moving as much as possible to stop the economy tanking.
Then do another two shot roll out late 2020/early 2021 and/or hope a one dose solution presents itself in the meantime (which it looks like it will with, ironically, Johnson & Johnson).

We have 2-3 years before being able to appropriately vaccinate much of the world. And in the timeline concessions will have to be made to stop famine and/or war. Both of which are highly likely in some form.

Ok, for anyone that read all of that......now spend a minute thinking of something nice, like cute kittens or DFL covered in strawberry custard and pistachios.

The government have been absolutely appalling and anyone who says otherwise and you will notice I have criticised them. But how about we give other people criticism when they deserve it, otherwise you end up becoming bipartisan and prejudiced. We need to criticise wherever the is wrong doing.
And make the criticism constructive

I've seen this Eric guys tweets on here. He has done alot of scare mongering and isn't always aligned to the real experts. Just a bit of a hype dingdonghead IMO

yeh that's awful, hold my hands up i've shared a post from this guy i think, and he does have a lot of good material, but calling testing in mice as 'effect in people' is a massive brickshow!

Reading between the lines of his interview, it sounded as if he suggested it's logistics that's the issue in the UK

And make the criticism constructive

Absolutely.

Think kier starmer has walked the line perfectly so far and looks like a prime minister in waiting. Some of the papers, bbc and even posters on here have used the crisis to give the Government a kicking for other issues. Which could very well backfire, it is almost a psychological thing but people want to see poor leadership held to account but dont like seeing people picked on.

The mistakes the government made for me are:

Boris not going to meetings this time last year about the virus coming out of China.

Not following what the South Koreans were doing.

Not banning fans from going to Cheltenham and large social gatherings.

Not making face coverings in enclosed spaces mandatory.

I dont completely blame them for being slow in locking down as scientists were saying different things.

I blame them for allowing travel to Spain etc in the summer, no matter how much pressure the Spanish government were applying to allow tourism to help their economy. They should have thought about the health of British people first.

I blame them for not enforcing quarantines for people flying into the country.

At my wife's allotment yesterday one of the women on the neighbouring plots was moaning about the vaccine roll out and then went on to say she had being listening to an Irish podcast and she felt ashamed of how the British were now viewed because of covid and brexit and then said she always knew the tories were evil.

Coming from someone who belongs to no party I cant tell you how repulsive her sort of views are to me.

I was 99% going to vote Labour at the next election once Brexit was done and the was a less then 1% chance of me voting conservative.

With the way people are behaving the is a 90% chance of me voting Labour next time while trying to not think about the large unsavoury amount that are voting the same way as me, much like when I voted UKIP. The is still a less then 1% chance of me voting conservative.

The danger for Labour is people being so turned off they dont go out and vote and I think I am a pretty good barometer of how people think in this country.

So much for 3m a week, be lucky to do 1.5m
Not a chance in hell will they meet the mid-Feb target !!!

View attachment 10785

If there are now potential supply issues, will there be enough to give the second dose at the right time? If not, are we left with millions of people who are not able to be vaccinated within the 12 week window (less than 500,000 people so far have had two doses) and therefore not quite sure whether they have decent levels of immunity or not?

It still seems a real gamble.

Back