• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Doctor Who, Call the Midwife and Mrs Brown's Boys are among the shows that will be in this year's Christmas TV schedule, the BBC has revealed.

It has been "a real struggle" to make the usual range of festive shows during Covid, the BBC's Charlotte Moore said.

But, she added, the stars and crews "pulled out all the stops".

I wish they hadn't !!!

Travellers who arrive in England from high-risk countries will soon be able to reduce their quarantine period by more than half if they pay for a Covid test after five days - and of course, if that test is negative.

The new system will begin on 15 December and will cost between £65 and £120 per person.

The travel industry welcomed the policy but described it as long overdue. The transport secretary said it would allow people to see loved ones and give a boost to business

Funny how all the anti-vaxxers are coming out saying they won’t flow Qantas anymore. Great. That’s precisely what they wanted (and Qantas will get my booking because I know it’ll be safe.)
It won't be 100% safe though as the vaccines ae not 100% effective for all though

How good are these private tests (like Boots etc) for £120?

Parents quite high risk but want to spend Christmas with them knowing we're ok as much as possible, so thinking of paying for private test nearer the time.

How good are these private tests (like Boots etc) for £120?

Parents quite high risk but want to spend Christmas with them knowing we're ok as much as possible, so thinking of paying for private test nearer the time.
The NHS tests are free if you have symptoms......

How does this new, proposed 5 day quarantine/taking a test work in practice? Do you take a test on entry at the airport or would you have to go and get one once you arrive etc.?
Once you have the negative result is the quarantine period ended from that point, so if you have a negative test result back after only 2 days you are then free to move about?

I'm trying to figure out if I can come home for Christmas without having to spend the whole visit stuck inside the house!

How does this new, proposed 5 day quarantine/taking a test work in practice? Do you take a test on entry at the airport or would you have to go and get one once you arrive etc.?
Once you have the negative result is the quarantine period ended from that point, so if you have a negative test result back after only 2 days you are then free to move about?

I'm trying to figure out if I can come home for Christmas without having to spend the whole visit stuck inside the house!

It seems you arrive, go into quarantine, take the test after day 5, get the result, if negative you are free to leave quarantine. So quarantine becomes a 6 day minimum rather than 14 day.
Under the new travel rules, passengers who arrive from a foreign destination not on the government's travel corridors list will still need to enter self-isolation.
However, if they pay for a test after five days and it comes back negative, they will no longer need to self-isolate.
Results will normally be issued in 24 to 48 hours. This means people could be released from quarantine six days after arrival.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55052381

It's not clear how you actually get to take that test after 5 days but who needs detail.

It seems you arrive, go into quarantine, take the test after day 5, get the result, if negative you are free to leave quarantine. So quarantine becomes a 6 day minimum rather than 14 day.
Under the new travel rules, passengers who arrive from a foreign destination not on the government's travel corridors list will still need to enter self-isolation.
However, if they pay for a test after five days and it comes back negative, they will no longer need to self-isolate.
Results will normally be issued in 24 to 48 hours. This means people could be released from quarantine six days after arrival.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55052381

It's not clear how you actually get to take that test after 5 days but who needs detail.

Cheers.

Bugger though, means I'd have to spend virtually the whole week at home.

608 deaths.

So when's this Lockdown meant to be taking effect? Because the death rate still increasing.

We're kind of numb to it now. But it's a lot of people dying. Presumably, they are predominantly over 80? The sooner they can get the vaccines out to the higher risk groups the better.

Back