• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Funnily, I was just reading the plans for televising the games and thinking it will actually be very useful in stopping people going out quite so much, possibly.
Even with your argument above, which I'm not I agree with, but also seems a reasonable position, so I'm not sure I disagree with it either - the key question that comes out of it for me is, what makes premier League football more important than league 2, than cricket, than rugby etc. Edit - i meant to add, because calling it a national pastime disenfranchises anyone that doesn't like football. How can it be justified to prioritize football over other large uptake entertainment?

And maybe that is it, the numbers of customers is huge, so it can be justified. That makes sense. But then brings me back to business sizes - surely the same kind of rules can apply. And theatre - can theatres now do outdoor performances and broadcast them? Maybe they can.

I guess there is something symbolic about the PL. Is it the richest league in the world?

Tennis has been allowed for some time right? You'd think enterprising people might have got that going. I guess all the activity surrounding the game is an issue too. The chess world have been quite clever moving games online. But its not a long term solution as people can cheat with computers.

I guess there is something symbolic about the PL. Is it the richest league in the world?

Tennis has been allowed for some time right? You'd think enterprising people might have got that going. I guess all the activity surrounding the game is an issue too. The chess world have been quite clever moving games online. But its not a long term solution as people can cheat with computers.
I did think about Wimbledon. I think the difference with tennis and other sports that are a congregation of worked athletes is that traveling would be very difficult, so would penalize some athletes and even those that can travel create a greater risk of spread. They would also appear even more elite than football at a time when people can't even go to Scotland and Wales to see family, let alone go on holiday. (Wales is not a holiday!)

Anyone remember a place around Tottemham Ct road? Called backbeat or suchlike. It had the feeling of a squat or what you'd call a pop-up bar now. Had a drinks bar, dance floor, pool room, and on the top floor a hatch where people bought weed, Amsterdam-like. Was well organised, and lasted a long time with the policing turning a blind eye. Then an Evening Standard journalist ran a piece on it and it was shut down. I wonder who was running it.
Chris Armstrong?

Staggering how much the exchequer has provided and still coming to terms with how generous they’ve been.

I don’t really understand why and where the money to pay for this will come from.

Would have preferred the money tap to be turned off sooner rather than further decades of cuts and paying it back.

Tax Rises - Income, VAT, CT and Capital gains but if they touch IHT will lose any respect I had for the job the chancellor is currently doing.

Staggering how much the exchequer has provided and still coming to terms with how generous they’ve been.

I don’t really understand why and where the money to pay for this will come from.

Would have preferred the money tap to be turned off sooner rather than further decades of cuts and paying it back.

Tax Rises - Income, VAT, CT and Capital gains but if they touch IHT will lose any respect I had for the job the chancellor is currently doing.
I'm sure I don't need to state my stance on govt spending, but I think the recession we would have seen would have been more costly than the increases this will require.

I just hope the hard working and successful aren't shouldered with the entire burden.

I don’t really understand why and where the money to pay for this will come from
I hope you've been wondering this for at least the last 12 years.

Worldwide governments are in a pickle. QE, Stimulus, helicopter money, nothing allowed to fail, just keep shaking the magic money tree as voters won't accept pain, especially financial pain. Policy allowed us to become wealthier (quite often by doing very little ie asset bubbles) ....'take that away...you'll be destroyed at the ballot box'

The thing is...the longer it takes (to face reality), the bigger the implosion.

I really hope the numbers today help push the weekly average down so we can continue on a trajectory of slow down.

Unfortunately not. We seem to have hit a plateau - which other countries have worked out, even if most of the UK population haven’t.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...e-to-holiday-in-greece?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

It becomes ever clearer that we should have locked down early and hard, but instead had Boris telling us to wash our hands and go to Cheltenham.

As Ian Hislop said on ‘Have I Got News For You’ tonight, 6 months ago we thought Theresa May was a bad PM...

Last edited:
I hope you've been wondering this for at least the last 12 years.

Worldwide governments are in a pickle. QE, Stimulus, helicopter money, nothing allowed to fail, just keep shaking the magic money tree as voters won't accept pain, especially financial pain. Policy allowed us to become wealthier (quite often by doing very little ie asset bubbles) ....'take that away...you'll be destroyed at the ballot box'

The thing is...the longer it takes (to face reality), the bigger the implosion.

Bang on. But everyone who doesn't like the sound of it will just continue to look away...

Remember when QE and ultra low interest rates were talked of as being emergency, temporary measures? What happened to that?

So what do you think the chances are of a second spike? Do you think there will be another lockdown and if so do you think it will be a heavier lockdown than this one?

So what do you think the chances are of a second spike? Do you think there will be another lockdown and if so do you think it will be a heavier lockdown than this one?

100% second spike, maybe a lockdown but not as heavy as this.

The U.K. couldn’t survive it

Logic would dictate that gradually exposing ourselves to the virus and with no real measures to stop it or protect ourselves, infection will increase again.

Track and trace as an intervention is pretty flimsy (and that includes our implementation of it), for starters its retrospective and also its too weighted on trusting peoples behaviour. for example, when everyone had to stay in, the general population started to self police that, but when an individual gets a message/call to isolate and stay in from the tracers, its only the authorities (i suppose they will get a list??) that would know, your neighbours/friends etc won't, so potentially carry on as you please.

The only thing that could slow the infection rate is if we discover more people have been thru it (think the latest est was 7%).

With the strictest (not worldwide strictest) level of lockdown we're at R 0.7-0.9....so as the experts say, hardly any wriggle room, so in a way its bizarre (from a health pov) to allow loads more freedom as they appear mortified at it raising above 1 when logically why wouldn't that happen?

Back