• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

They will always be abused. They always have been.

What's even more worrying is the way that temporary emergency powers just become a part of the background after a while - it's this that makes me unwilling to accept any govt intrusion as I know it will just become the norm within months.

It has been the norm for me for years, I fly a lot for work and profiling has been common place for me. I will be honest with you, I am on journey in terms of being a broad libertarian but also fearful of the dangers of radicalisation amongst particular groups (islamic/far right/bbc staff in the 80's/arse-anal fans).

Manchester rocked me, but I did learn that Abedis local mosque and family had reported him to security services and it had not been actioned - so police state wasn't needed, basic competence was.

I am never going to jump on the Sam Harris stuff you have espoused in the past as him and his people are riddled with inconsistencies but I do see where you are here.

Sounding like a macaronic neanderthal harping on in a nationalistic way there. I probably actually do know more about the history of Ireland as i enjoy history but that aside we English have to put up with people telling us our history and business all the time and even questioning this means your a racist neanderthal.

You failed go hang your head in shame. But do make sure that when you pop over to the UK next you use the UK and Ireland line at the airport, you know that extra benefit that the Irish demanded when they wanted independence.

I suggest you use the lockdown to read up on Irish history and you can't question this comment or your nationalistic.

I have no doubt that the English get it in the neck from all their past colonies which results in a defensive reflex. I can't imagine this will change much either and it is something you'll have to put up with indefinitely, I would think. However I pretty sure that twitter thread was not that. It was a critique of the UK gov's handling of the situation, nothing more. Let me assure you I don't have a nationalistic bone in my body. Patriotic sure but then who doesn't.

Anyway, let's call a truce on this. I will promise to read more Irish history (yuk! who wants to read the history they learned in school?) if you promise to read the Uninhabitable Earth. And if you do read it tell me if I am still being too alarmist or not enough ;).

Absolutely.
The west coast states will work together on a phasing plan, no doubt. But the war between states and Feds in getting necessary supplies to medical facilities and workers has been huge. Newsom had to leverage his own contacts for masks for CA. Others have spoken of deals for ventilators agreed only for the Fed to step in and outbid them. Newsom has quietly made sure CA operates on a different trajectory to Covid19 both in terms of physical and fiscal policy. Far ahead of anywhere else in the country IMO.

I have no doubt that the English get it in the neck from all their past colonies which results in a defensive reflex. I can't imagine this will change much either and it is something you'll have to put up with indefinitely, I would think.

Which would be as stupid as thinking all Germans are Nazi's or anyone who follows Islam is a terrorist. You liberals can not preach acceptance and tolerance on the one hand and not give it on the other.

Which would be as stupid as thinking all Germans are Nazi's or anyone who follows Islam is a terrorist. You liberals can not preach acceptance and tolerance on the one hand and not give it on the other.
You are misunderstanding my point. I'm not referring to liberals or any part of the political spectrum. I've just agreed with you that ex-colonies of England will be resentful of you I can't see that changing any time soon, and to prove my first point you immediately went on the defense, even though I was backing up your point.
we English have to put up with people telling us our history and business all the time

I knew we'd get to Nazi's eventually which generally why I bug out long before now, which I definitely am now.

That's pretty fudging scary.

Without reading the piece on detail I'll assume they're modelling a 3 month lockdown followed by everything being open?

Which is why we will see places opening up ASAP.

People are going to start thinking along the lines of

Losing my job/house v someone I don’t know dying

Some I know are already there

Which is why we will see places opening up ASAP.

People are going to start thinking along the lines of

Losing my job/house v someone I don’t know dying

Some I know are already there
And that is what will determine the overall deaths (CVD 19 and lockdown caused ones) and economic impact - a mixture of how efficiently and when reopening happens and what support was in place.
Whoever opens first will have a huge advantage.
Those will less damage to pay back will be in good position. (Dare I say - a large death of elderly people won't be that bad economically (I'm not I want that - just being objective)).
The countries with powerful and essential production will be in a great position.

Everyone is fudged. But money is only a concept, so everyone being fudged is fine. It's the opening up that will create the new global economic imbalances.

Seems like a very brick time to be a service based economy that needs to renegotiate all of its trade deals.

This is definitely a right wing forum. it ranges from a bona fide fascist, through to Kool Aid drinking neo liberals, some small l liberals and maybe three or four genuine leftists.

Wouldn't that generally be representative of the country then? I'd say the country is generally centre right, probably more to the right economically and countered by being slightly more liberal socially.

I've found as I've got older I take different issues at face value rather than following a set issue idealogically, I think this is more of a growing trend that we're seeing more and more.

Wouldn't that generally be representative of the country then? I'd say the country is generally centre right, probably more to the right economically and countered by being slightly more liberal socially.

I've found as I've got older I take different issues at face value rather than following a set issue idealogically, I think this is more of a growing trend that we're seeing more and more.

Im exactly the same.

Interestingly even more of this tests being used around the world are being found to have not worked quite correctly.

So was the nasty British government right to take scientific advice that the tests were not good enough?

You are misunderstanding my point. I'm not referring to liberals or any part of the political spectrum. I've just agreed with you that ex-colonies of England will be resentful of you I can't see that changing any time soon, and to prove my first point you immediately went on the defense, even though I was backing up your point.

I knew we'd get to Nazi's eventually which generally why I bug out long before now, which I definitely am now.

You cant try and take the moral high ground when you say the british have to accept being disliked and then not see an easy example of another country being blamed for something that happened 70 years ago.

Countries change but your true anti English sentiments have finally come out. Odd you should support an English football team.

Anyway i dont talk to racists so your on ignore, no point to responding to me anymore. Your as full of hate and snidey remarks as the teletext article you linked.

You cant try and take the moral high ground when you say the british have to accept being disliked and then not see an easy example of another country being blamed for something that happened 70 years ago.

Countries change but your true anti English sentiments have finally come out. Odd you should support an English football team.

Anyway i dont talk to racists so your on ignore, no point to responding to me anymore. Your as full of hate and snidey remarks as the teletext article you linked.
I've no idea what you're talking about.

Edit: Now that I have a chance to read this properly let me say that that's a shameful post. I haven’t said anything racist or anti English and you know it. You must have comprehension problems if you think by me saying that England has a troubled colonial past means I am anti English. What mental gymnastics did you have to perform to make that leap?

How the fudge have you gone from a post where I agreed that the English get attacked for their past to calling a me a racist? There is only one person spewing hate in this exchange and it isn’t me. I quite like the English and England actually though you are doing your best to change my mind.

Last edited:
America's response is a catalog of mistakes, most derived from Trump in some fashion but not all. That article is truly an excellent piece if you can spare the time.

As for the UK, it is not as bad as the US. None will be as bad as the US in the end, but it is also a monumental catastrophe whatever way you dice it. I know some will cast this as an anti-governmental spin. Maybe there is some partisanship in some of the commentary but that doesn't hide the fact that the UK has botched their response too. Truly botched it, and thousands will die as a result. The UK media should be screaming blue murder on full volume every day IMHO.

I know you have Irish family members, right? So this apples to apples comparison projects up 2.5 times more fatalities in the UK compared to Ireland from a comparable starting point. Also well worth a read...

Wouldn't a comparison of Ireland and Northern Ireland be more informative? NI is seeing a lot fewer per capita casualties than England, Wales and Scotland.

That’s their biggest issue, liberals are the most intolerant of all folk, they just band names about to shut down arguments or go into hiding when they don’t want to answer tough questions. I think that’s been shown further on too.

Fact is it’s 2020 and I don’t feel shame in the British Empire or get defensive, nothing to do with me what they did before me anymore than it is Prince Harry for Henry the 8th lobbing off his wives heads.

People hate the Brits, a lot of it is jealousy, makes sense as we are a country that punched above its size for most of its time, they hate us but want to be part of us, I see it as flattering.

And @Grays1980 aren’t all these terms including ‘Liberals’ outdated?

We have a right wing government voted in by working classes. Making politics tribal misses the point for me. Politics shouldn’t be like football. I’ll always have an irrational love of Spurs and dislike arsenal, I wouldn’t blindingly follow a doctrine though. A term.

People all round the world wanted something different from the old categories too, hence popularism, Brexit etc. Moving beyond simple in-groups is the future with good ideas from the traditional left and right having value.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: DTA
Back