• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Circumcision

Re: INfant circumcision. The best one

From the reading around i have done. it was not a GHod it was a profit (that's why the Muslims and Jews do it) and to start with it was only the very tip of the foreskin. This was to symbolize giving a part of your self to GHod, it was only when Jews started to pull there foreskin forward to hide the fact that they where Jews, that they started to remove the whole foreskin.

It has nothing to do with cleanness or any other nonsense that you get told.

So some crazy 'profit' told people to cut the end of their nobs off and people brought that.

And then people agreed that GHod would want lots of foreskin given to him. :lol:

So some crazy 'profit' told people to cut the end of their nobs off and people brought that.

And then people agreed that GHod would want lots of foreskin given to him. :lol:

Only because GHod subsequently decided it was a donation to a "Not For Prophet" organisation

which cultures are these? / Is this that you are referring to? I need to read up on it seeing as you are saying people are happy with all that....it could be a place ruled on complete fear by a strong power of superstition

I'd really be interested to know of these places....PM if you like but i think its a topic worth discussing. cause you've pretty much summarised the life of slavery and in some parts of your post some would say pagan worship.

Hi africanspur, don't you know west is best to these guys?

All those arguing about doing this to kid without permission despite the health benefits, did you ask your child before you vaccinate them?

And before anyone starts, yes of course children should be vaccinated. But it's still a parental choice inflicted on a non consenting child.

All those arguing about doing this to kid without permission despite the health benefits, did you ask your child before you vaccinate them?

And before anyone starts, yes of course children should be vaccinated. But it's still a parental choice inflicted on a non consenting child.

There's a major difference in the fact that circumcision has next to no health value, and (more importantly) doesn't have a herd health value.

Anyone has the right to be an idiot and not immunise their child (although the state should then reserve the right to protect that child) but they don't have the right to risk my child's health by not doing so.

There's also the risk vs reward to consider. The risk of any harm being caused by immunisation is so low we can call it zero. The risk of damage from not immunising your child is quite high.

The risk of damage from circumcision is much higher than from immunisation with virtually no reward at all (especially as it can always be done later in life).

There's a major difference in the fact that circumcision has next to no health value, and (more importantly) doesn't have a herd health value.

Anyone has the right to be an idiot and not immunise their child (although the state should then reserve the right to protect that child) but they don't have the right to risk my child's health by not doing so.

There's also the risk vs reward to consider. The risk of any harm being caused by immunisation is so low we can call it zero. The risk of damage from not immunising your child is quite high.

The risk of damage from circumcision is much higher than from immunisation with virtually no reward at all (especially as it can always be done later in life).

Herd health value is a good point, except that if there are 1000 children and 999 of them have immunization and one does not does that mean that the 999 who have had it are at risk (that's a question by the way I don't know the answer but logic would suggest that if they are immunized then they would be safe? Otherwise what's the point). Your other points deal with degree of risk to the child and that surely should be down to the parent in both the case of circumcision and immunization, and your whole degree of risk argument is based on the medical knowledge of today.... However it wasn't so long ago that leaches were being used to treat the sick and all the range in western medicine.... Who knows in 200 years time what people will think the barbaric medical practices of today are

Herd health value is a good point, except that if there are 1000 children and 999 of them have immunization and one does not does that mean that the 999 who have had it are at risk (that's a question by the way I don't know the answer but logic would suggest that if they are immunized then they would be safe? Otherwise what's the point). Your other points deal with degree of risk to the child and that surely should be down to the parent in both the case of circumcision and immunization, and your whole degree of risk argument is based on the medical knowledge of today.... However it wasn't so long ago that leaches were being used to treat the sick and all the range in western medicine.... Who knows in 200 years time what people will think the barbaric medical practices of today are

Regarding herd health, I'm not sure about a figure of 1, but that is definitely the case. It was discussed on a really good podcast - The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe a couple of months ago.

As for leeches, etc. The only sensible thing we can do is act in line with what our accumulated medical evidence currently tells us. If we discover more then we can change our opinions/actions but it makes no sense to go against overwhelming medical opinion on the basis that doctors got things wrong in the past.

Comparing circumcision to vaccination? I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous...

As with any procedure there's also risks to circumcision. There's not a strong medical consensus that the benefits outweigh the risks, even if there were there are other (less intrusive) methods of getting the same or similar results.

Circumcision is being done for religious and cultural reasons, I don't see how this is up for discussion personally.

How much do you know about medicine? How much do you know about science?

Regarding herd health, I'm not sure about a figure of 1, but that is definitely the case. It was discussed on a really good podcast - The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe a couple of months ago.

As for leeches, etc. The only sensible thing we can do is act in line with what our accumulated medical evidence currently tells us. If we discover more then we can change our opinions/actions but it makes no sense to go against overwhelming medical opinion on the basis that doctors got things wrong in the past.

Agreed, The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe is a fantastic podcast.

Herd immunity is at risk if immunization drops below 10% according to what they've repeatedly said on that podcast.

Agreed, The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe is a fantastic podcast.

Herd immunity is at risk if immunization drops below 10% according to what they've repeatedly said on that podcast.

so if 90% are not immunized then there is a herd risk but not before... Did I read that right or am I being dumb (which very well maybe the case :). If so not much of a herd risk in terms of take up in today's society.

Can't really argue with much of that to be honest, just stating that the knowledge (scientific/medical) that we hold in such high regard today, is often (if looked at through a historical perspective) that which is seen as primitive through the eyes of of tomorrow. And this will be the case for a Very long time in the future, because what we actually know and I mean KNOW, isn't very much in the grand scheme of things.

That's not taking away from scientific endeavour, which I think is great/essential etc.

so if 90% are not immunized then there is a herd risk but not before... Did I read that right or am I being dumb (which very well maybe the case :). If so not much of a herd risk in terms of take up in today's society.

From a quick look at a Wiki article (not the best sauce, I know) it's when herd immunisation gets below 90% that it becomes a problem. It varies depending on the disease, but based on the following link I'd say 90% is as fine as I'd want to cut it:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

Like I said, ****ty sauce so don't bet your house on the numbers, but the science is solid as far as I can tell.

Comparing circumcision to vaccination? I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous...

As with any procedure there's also risks to circumcision. There's not a strong medical consensus that the benefits outweigh the risks, even if there were there are other (less intrusive) methods of getting the same or similar results.

Circumcision is being done for religious and cultural reasons, I don't see how this is up for discussion personally.

How much do you know about medicine? How much do you know about science?

I spent ages (ish) writing out what I thought was a relative eloquent reply to you but it was deleted when I went to post, so here is the abridged and slightly more curt version (no offence meant)

My comparison is ridiculous, yet yours between attitudes between slavery and circumcision is not.... Um right.... You lost that one mate.

There are other methods, so what? Your perspective is based on the opinion that circumcision in some way is detrimental to a child's/adults development/life, so how come we do not have people coming on this thread lamenting their lack of foreskin?

Circumcision is only done for cultural religious reasons not health.... Why do you believe this is mutually exclusive? In my culture the medical and cultural reasons for doing it are intertwined I think you are showing your western bias here

How much do I know about medicine- really next to nothing substantial. science? A little bit more but still negligible in terms of those in the fields or with a keen amateur interest.

What I do know is this, what we think we know in these fields will be treated with scorn in a 100 years time, don't you agree? So in conclusion we as a society really know very little.

From a quick look at a Wiki article (not the best sauce, I know) it's when herd immunisation gets below 90% that it becomes a problem. It varies depending on the disease, but based on the following link I'd say 90% is as fine as I'd want to cut it:

Like I said, ****ty sauce so don't bet your house on the numbers, but the science is solid as far as I can tell.

Ahh... Fair play that makes more sense than the other way around.... And my opinion has always been those that don't have their children immunized need some serious questions asked of them.

So I guess we are dealing with mutations in the 10% then making the 90% at risk again.... Is that right?

Ahh... Fair play that makes more sense than the other way around.... And my opinion has always been those that don't have their children immunized need some serious questions asked of them.

So I guess we are dealing with mutations in the 10% then making the 90% at risk again.... Is that right?

Mutations are certainly more likely if epidemics are allowed. The main benefit of herd immunity is that it protects those who can't be immunized. Those who are too young/old/weak can't be, and there's a significant proportion who can't due to allergies.

I think this is correct, I was being unclear.

Edit:

Mutations are certainly more likely if epidemics are allowed. The main benefit of herd immunity is that it protects those who can't be immunized. Those who are too young/old/weak can't be, and there's a significant proportion who can't due to allergies.

This also seems spot on.

Last edited:

I spent ages (ish) writing out what I thought was a relative eloquent reply to you but it was deleted when I went to post, so here is the abridged and slightly more curt version (no offence meant)

My comparison is ridiculous, yet yours between attitudes between slavery and circumcision is not.... Um right.... You lost that one mate.

There are other methods, so what? Your perspective is based on the opinion that circumcision in some way is detrimental to a child's/adults development/life, so how come we do not have people coming on this thread lamenting their lack of foreskin?

Circumcision is only done for cultural religious reasons not health.... Why do you believe this is mutually exclusive? In my culture the medical and cultural reasons for doing it are intertwined I think you are showing your western bias here

How much do I know about medicine- really next to nothing substantial. science? A little bit more but still negligible in terms of those in the fields or with a keen amateur interest.

What I do know is this, what we think we know in these fields will be treated with scorn in a 100 years time, don't you agree? So in conclusion we as a society really know very little.

Did you read my clarification to Affy? I've also had a continued PM discussion with Affy about this topic, if you think I directly compared slavery and circumcision you're mistaken. If you want to discuss the impact of cultural relativism on the two issues feel free to pick it up from my clarification.

You want to compare circumcision to vaccinations? Alright. Vaccinations have helped prevent millions of childhood deaths, it's been the vital factor in eradicating smallpox. We as a species have completely stopped a virus that at one point caused hundreds of thousands of deaths per year just in Europe. We came within reaching distance of doing the same with polio by the way, but largely because of influenced by religious fundamentalists that battle has not yet been won. Vaccines culminated from a combination of scientific brilliance and a bit of fortune. That's just smallpox and polio, I've seen estimates that vaccines have been and are preventing millions of deaths per year. The benefits both in terms of preventing human suffering and the financial benefit to society are immense and for me well beyond quantification. It's also one of all too few equalizers in the world as vaccines benefit the poor without proper health care access more than the rich. Vaccines are one of our greatest victories as a species, it's history well worth reading up on.

Compared to that you have what with circumcision? At the very best (giving you a lot of leeway here) debatable health benefits when compared to other methods and with a direct risk-benefit analysis. A procedure stemming from religious and superstitious history. A procedure that hurts the poor more than the rich I might again add, probably for wealthy people in western countries it's a lot safer than for poorer people without proper health care access.

In short, yes it's a ridiculous comparison. It's about as one sided as if a morbidly obese geriatric was to compete in the Olympics.

I might be showing my western bias, I'm aware that I have one. I think in certain areas western culture is better*. One of the issues we are pretty good at, although not yet good enough, is that medicine is evidence/science based. I think medicine should be evidence/science based and I think it's better for any culture if medical evidence is evaluated on a scientific basis. Without having to be intertwined with religious practices.

I don't think what "we" think we know now will be treated with scorn. Experts in fields of physics and biology now know much more than Einstein and Darwin did at their time. You wouldn't have to go far to find examples of things that they got wrong, things that scientific progress (that they helped along) later disproved. They're not treated with scorn, they're treated with respect. Because they were champions of the fair evaluation of evidence, of critical thought, of intellectual honesty.

No doubt future generations will know more than us, but not by some automatic generational change, they will know more because of the hard work of scientists and engineers that help build on the accumulated knowledge. This was not always the case throughout history. In medicine like in other areas of science I think our current views might be seen as a bit quaint, but I think (and hope) that the people of the future will still value some of the same ideals that we appreciate in those who came before us. And I hope they will look back with respect on those of us willing to follow scientific evidence honestly to where it leads us in the process that will be the reason why they will know more than us in the first place.

*I don't think this should be a contentious or offensive statement, but I think for some it might be. So a slight clarification. I've already made my views on cultural relativism clear I think and I see any issue with saying that one culture is better than another in a certain area. Anyone who disagrees with this can go **** themselves (and accept by their cultural relativism that me saying this only makes me different, not worse and that they must respect my views on asking them to go **** themselves and that they have no right to criticize my go **** yourself opinions).

On issues like science and the scientific basis for medicine, along with a few others like democracy and freedom of speech I think western culture is a lot closer to getting things right than other cultures. In other areas this is not the case.

Again that makes sense, thanks.

Did you read my clarification to Affy? I've also had a continued PM discussion with Affy about this topic, if you think I directly compared slavery and circumcision you're mistaken. If you want to discuss the impact of cultural relativism on the two issues feel free to pick it up from my clarification.

You want to compare circumcision to vaccinations? Alright. Vaccinations have helped prevent millions of childhood deaths, it's been the vital factor in eradicating smallpox. We as a species have completely stopped a virus that at one point caused hundreds of thousands of deaths per year just in Europe. We came within reaching distance of doing the same with polio by the way, but largely because of influenced by religious fundamentalists that battle has not yet been won. Vaccines culminated from a combination of scientific brilliance and a bit of fortune. That's just smallpox and polio, I've seen estimates that vaccines have been and are preventing millions of deaths per year. The benefits both in terms of preventing human suffering and the financial benefit to society are immense and for me well beyond quantification. It's also one of all too few equalizers in the world as vaccines benefit the poor without proper health care access more than the rich. Vaccines are one of our greatest victories as a species, it's history well worth reading up on.

Compared to that you have what with circumcision? At the very best (giving you a lot of leeway here) debatable health benefits when compared to other methods and with a direct risk-benefit analysis. A procedure stemming from religious and superstitious history. A procedure that hurts the poor more than the rich I might again add, probably for wealthy people in western countries it's a lot safer than for poorer people without proper health care access.

In short, yes it's a ridiculous comparison. It's about as one sided as if a morbidly obese geriatric was to compete in the Olympics.

I might be showing my western bias, I'm aware that I have one. I think in certain areas western culture is better*. One of the issues we are pretty good at, although not yet good enough, is that medicine is evidence/science based. I think medicine should be evidence/science based and I think it's better for any culture if medical evidence is evaluated on a scientific basis. Without having to be intertwined with religious practices.

I don't think what "we" think we know now will be treated with scorn. Experts in fields of physics and biology now know much more than Einstein and Darwin did at their time. You wouldn't have to go far to find examples of things that they got wrong, things that scientific progress (that they helped along) later disproved. They're not treated with scorn, they're treated with respect. Because they were champions of the fair evaluation of evidence, of critical thought, of intellectual honesty.

No doubt future generations will know more than us, but not by some automatic generational change, they will know more because of the hard work of scientists and engineers that help build on the accumulated knowledge. This was not always the case throughout history. In medicine like in other areas of science I think our current views might be seen as a bit quaint, but I think (and hope) that the people of the future will still value some of the same ideals that we appreciate in those who came before us. And I hope they will look back with respect on those of us willing to follow scientific evidence honestly to where it leads us in the process that will be the reason why they will know more than us in the first place.

*I don't think this should be a contentious or offensive statement, but I think for some it might be. So a slight clarification. I've already made my views on cultural relativism clear I think and I see any issue with saying that one culture is better than another in a certain area. Anyone who disagrees with this can go **** themselves (and accept by their cultural relativism that me saying this only makes me different, not worse and that they must respect my views on asking them to go **** themselves and that they have no right to criticize my go **** yourself opinions).

On issues like science and the scientific basis for medicine, along with a few others like democracy and freedom of speech I think western culture is a lot closer to getting things right than other cultures. In other areas this is not the case.

Come on now you know I was not comparing the health benefits (at least I hope you do) I was stating that they are both 'inflicted' on children without their informed consent.

I have stated twice already but will so again, I think that children should have immunization and questions should be asked of those who don't do this for their children.

The standing on the shoulder of giants is romantic and in many ways very true, but you have picked out the very brightest to prove your point where as I was talking more of the general medical concensus of the times within which I think my point very much stands

Back