• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

BT Sport channels

Boxing still has a core support but general public interest seems largely gone.

I think Sky losing out is a good thing. Their effective monopoly on the PL wasn't a good thing for fans. The rather dumb way the EU tried to break the monopoly made things worse and more expensive. It allowed Sky to keep most of the games and created parallel monopolies (people want to watch particular games, but any game). It didn't solve the key problem that exclusive TV rights are monopolies for each game.

While the current BT deal will make things worse short-term it may eventually break the system or cause it to reform. At the moment BT are trying to expand their subscriber base so can take losses. Sky did the same and then had a monopoly to protect their interest. With several big players we might see some real competition. Can Sky keep their high prices with less football?

hopefully the rivers keep flowing ;)

fcuk BT, Sky, the FA, Uefa and Fifa too

What's with all the Sky hate? Okay it's eye-wateringly pricey but a lot of the stuff they do is brilliant, way ahead of other sports providers. Maybe a little extra competition wouldn't hurt, problem is one way or another it''ll end up costing us in the long run as each provider tries to outbid the other for broadcasting rights.

Boxing is still very popular and Rugby League is ****.

Boxing is no where near as popular as it was in the 80s and 90s, when the nation used to sit up all night watching Frank Bruno etc fights. People say it's the lack of personalities around now, but they don't exist because few people can see enough of it to get to know/appreciate fighters.

Agree about rugby league, but it has fallen even further behind union since Grandstand stopped showing challenge cup games every weekend.

What's with all the Sky hate? Okay it's eye-wateringly pricey but a lot of the stuff they do is brilliant, way ahead of other sports providers. Maybe a little extra competition wouldn't hurt, problem is one way or another it''ll end up costing us in the long run as each provider tries to outbid the other for broadcasting rights.

Because sports were free to watch. And they stopped that. Football, rugby union, cricket, grand prix - all now taken away from the majority (remember only 1 in 30 households have satelite). It's a bit like Scara suddenly putting a pay wall up for this site - £20 per month each, losing 80% of members who also become blocked from all other Spurs-related sites.

And it funds Murdock and his evil empire.

Last edited:
I'm completely with GB; I won't give Murdoch a red penny. I refuse to pay for any of it, ever, and I wish more people would just vote with their feet instead of just opening their wallets. If it all disappears off free-to-air, so be it; they can stick it up their jacksies, the internetz it is. I've got my season-ticket and there's always the radio as well.

Am sat here looking at sky and thinking, why do i even have it if they're losing European football?

Scanning through the channels it's just all massive **** that's being repeated over and over again. If BT sport have the majority of the football, makes sense to me to just have BT sport and to head to the pub whenever a match i want to watch is on Sky.. Even if i get blind drunk it'd still probably be cheaper than sky.

Sky have the occasional gem on Atlantic, however i can't bring myself to watch any of the shows i like on it just because the adverts completely ruin the show for me. Absolutely hate getting into an episode of Game of Thrones or something similar and really feeling it, only to have any of the tension or plot building completely destroyed by a five minute advertisement break.

Because sports were free to watch. And they stopped that. Football, rugby union, cricket, grand prix - all now taken away from the majority (remember only 1 in 30 households have satelite). It's a bit like Scara suddenly putting a pay wall up for this site - £20 per month each, losing 80% of members who also become blocked from all other Spurs-related sites.

And it funds Murdock and his evil empire.

I don't like the power that Sky have either. But the fact is their coverage is second to none. I won't get rid of it as I would miss the football, tennis, cricket, NFL, darts and various other sports they show. Can't be bothered to stream all of those :lol:

sky have certainly changed things but I'd much rather their wall to wall coverage than the 1 game week we used to get

I do think there is too much football on tv. Should be one game on Sunday perhaps two and one on Monday.

personally I want a bit more than that, it's not just football though, like you say they have taken darts on TV from 1 tournament at Xmas to covering almost all of the major ones, likewise nfl used to be once a week in the middle of the night, now we get that and 2 prime time Sunday games

Back