• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

British Steel

Progressive discussion is really tough when there is engrained cynicism and fixed mindsets.

My mindset has been fixed by what I see in this world, powerful nation are unable to agree on anything if it threatens their position or interest. Unemployment and reduction in peoples living standards leads to a rise in radical politics and nationalism and possible civil unrest and more national conflicts. Just because technology discovers something it does mean you have to use it if it harms humans, we've had nuclear weapons for 80 years and managed not to use them since WW2.

My mindset has been fixed by what I see in this world, powerful nation are unable to agree on anything if it threatens their position or interest. Unemployment and reduction in peoples living standards leads to a rise in radical politics and nationalism and possible civil unrest and more national conflicts. Just because technology discovers something it does mean you have to use it if it harms humans, we've had nuclear weapons for 80 years and managed not to use them since WW2.

Ok. So if it's always been that way. What changes with "progress"?

Jeez. I'm not saying I agree or support the growth or intrusion of AI, I jumped into this discussion on the basis that AI will displace jobs (and I think the general consensus is it will). So what does that look like, for work going forward and the people it displaces. Financially, socially, globally. Any theories, ideas beyond cynicism?.

Well done for confirming you have a fixed mindset....no shame in that.

Jeez. I'm not saying I agree or support the growth or intrusion of AI, I jumped into this discussion on the basis that AI will displace jobs (and I think the general consensus is it will). So what does that look like, for work going forward and the people it displaces. Financially, socially, globally. Any theories, ideas beyond cynicism?.

Well done for confirming you have a fixed mindset....no shame in that.

We'll have to find ways of working with these technological advances. Saying "i don't like it" aint going to help.

They will come fast now. Ai is making a lot of the advances. It can problem solve millions of times faster than a human.

We've seen they've found a new form of antibiotic, which is nice.

Yes there are going to be problems. That we can't even comprehend now (apart from the terminator or grey goo bit). But hopefully the benefits outweigh the cons.

It has been suggested part of the UKs steel making problem is being uncompetitive. Other large scale steel producing nations have cheaper energy subsidised by their governments. Our energy costs are too high for the process to be viable.
We could be the first nation to have an extinct steel industry after inventing it in the first place !!
Our successive governments have been reluctant to subsidise our steel industry unlike the USA, Germany, France and Sweden etc.
Our 2050 zero carbon target will be helped but steel has to be produced in its pure form somewhere.....so the polution will happen somewhere on the planet. ?
Germany and France don't subsidise their industries. Surely not, would be against EU rules....

We'll have to find ways of working with these technological advances. Saying "i don't like it" aint going to help.

They will come fast now. Ai is making a lot of the advances. It can problem solve millions of times faster than a human.

Yes there are going to be problems. That we can't even comprehend now (apart from the terminator or grey goo bit). But hopefully the benefits outweigh the cons.
Wish it would hurry up and find a cure for Parkinson's

I don't think anyone is saying "we don't like this", there are some of us saying
1, let's not rush into things blindly.
2, don't think AI, or any other tech, is going to solve all our problems.
3 we need realistic time scales, evolution rather than revolution.

Back