• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Black Lives Matter

What a fantastic post.
Really?
I often think I'm a bit strange, everyone is the same but no two people are alike in my view.
We all want the same things, something to eat, something to drink, someone to love, someone to love us, a little work (not too much) and a roof over over heads.
The only thing in the way of that is us.
Why other people don't think that way baffles me and makes me wonder about myself.

I don't think there is a right or wrong approach here. Interesting to explore it. As we can see in this thread, being black doesn't afford people the same level of tabula rasa that maybe white-skinned people enjoy - when we want it. But everyone has a history and identity. How awful would it be to wipe out your history?

At the moment its almost like black people's civil rights have been politely pushed under the carpet for the last decades. And thanks to mobile phones there is a new civil rights awareness which is overdue. I don't think society can stop racism in our life time. Humans classify using simplistic stereotypes, which can easily, even without intent, transpose into prejudice. Is the only way to move forward and enhance rights, is to accept differences, understand histories, not hide from them, or pretend they are not there?

I hate stereotyping, look for the personality, we've all got one and it's great watching someone reveal it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not sad about my history or identity or whatever. I could do a family tree, trace my roots or whatever. It just isn't me, it's not something I feel I would benefit from. There is little in the past that an help become a better person. Not that I'm saying I couldn't improve myself, just it would be from looking forward not back.
I m an average person from an average background.
Although I'm not really, I look at things differently from most, at least as far as I can tell.

Really?
I often think I'm a bit strange, everyone is the same but no two people are alike in my view.
We all want the same things, something to eat, something to drink, someone to love, someone to love us, a little work (not too much) and a roof over over heads.
The only thing in the way of that is us.
Why other people don't think that way baffles me and makes me wonder about myself.
I'm going to bed, but just quickly I like it because first you have exposed your core to a forum of strangers. Men don't do this usually. We normally project the parts we like others to see. Your post has a lot of interesting stuff in it but actually the really interesting thing to me is how you view yourself as being somewhat untethered to a nation.
If I remember tomorrow night I'll come back to this (I'm a bottle and a half of wine in ;)). Someone remind me.

I didn't know public schools were generally funded mostly from local property taxes. That's a pretty fudged up financing model if you wanna provide equal educational opportunities for all.

They don't. It's key to the republicans staying in power and rich getting richer that the masses remain as uneducated as possible.

EZyRLI9UMAA036r

Faux News focusing on what's important.

My thoughts after clicking the link on an article about Black Lives Matter/Taking a knee/racism/injustice written by Douglas Murray, a white man who studied at Eton and Oxford and therefore someone who has never faced racism or racial discrimination writing a post on racism and how people should feel is...

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
:rolleyes:
I hope he apologised.

As a person of colour, please may I make a suggestion to you.

The phrase ‘playing the race card’ is as offensive and ignorant as ‘I don’t see colour’

I’d appreciate it if we didn’t have these terms thrown around on this board but also appreciate I have no agency over what others write.
Do you have a better phrase for what Sol Campbell does? Happy to use another one if there's one that fits.

Again, have you ever read into this subject or did you read the Daily Mail and just get your thoughts from there? Several firms in Finance industry have posted their ethinicity pay gap and guess what, with a 400% certainty, people are not paid the same. You can read more here, you're welcome. https://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manag...ared-for-ethnicity-pay-gap-reporting/a1267107

Talking about playing the race card and bringing up Diane Abbot tells me all I need to know about you. Go read a book on issues instead of Twitter and the Mail.
Do those pay gap reports take all relevant factors into account, or just race and pay?

Under every conceivable measurement and factor, there is an ethnicitiy pay gap between white and minorities. Just read up, this isn't an opinion, it's based on facts.
I read the article you linked, it didn't suggest there was any further thought to it than average pay by ethnicity.

I think it’s fair to call people out on terms that are offensive for that very reason
It’s an education for that person and others (myself included)
I regularly ask people how to say their names if their “foreign” as that a very important thing in my mind... it’s a personal identification. Yet I know plenty who happily call people the wrong name which I believe is offensive

Can I ask in the spirit of education what or why you find "I don't see colour" as offensive?
As I've said on here before I treat people how I would like to be treated, if that isn’t reciprocated I will distance myself from them.
In my admittedly small circle of friends of ethnic minority past and present I wouldn't say that I find any real difference between any of us. The colour of our skin is no more important to me than the colour of our hair.
Is that not a good thing?
Do you feel like I would be denying you something?
A heritage, culture or something along those lines?
Apologies in advance for any clumsy wording, absolutely no offence intended.

Honestly, just read @Bedfordspurs post, I didn't write after reading his.
Not trying to take the tinkle.

Thank you both. @glasgowspur I didn't think you were taking the tinkle at all.

I'll try to answer your question mate, I'm not sure how eloquent I can be as there's a lot of stuff in my head that isn't necessarily being formulated into an answer.

When someone tells me they don't see colour it is usually in the context of a discussion or discourse around race/ethnicity. By saying they don't see colour, it instantly undermines any experiences I have had where I have been made acutely aware of my colour/ethnicity/background (an almost daily occurrence). It makes me and my experiences invisible and not worthy of further discussion purely because I have never had the privilege of being able to 'not see colour'. I doubt I ever will in my lifetime unless the the foundations of our systems and institutions are rebuilt from the ground up.

By saying 'I don't see colour', the message being portrayed to POC is that there is no acknowledgement of the natural racial profiling and/or bias and insidious, sometimes covertly hidden institutionalised racism that continues up to the present day, simply because that person doesn't see it or experience it for themselves.

To bring in an example similar to what Bedford wrote in his post. I used to work in an office where there was myself and another Indian chap. Complete opposites physically and our names were not similar in the slightest. He's short, very dark complexion whereas I am tall and of light complexion. Also two very different personalities. At least twice a day (I'm being conservative here), the white people in the office would get our names mixed up or call us the other person's name when addressing us. It was either not acknowledged or laughed off. I too shrugged it off for a long time but then it hit me; no-one mistook Paul and Thomas or Hannah and Nikki for each other. So I started calling my colleagues out on it, often in a humorous manner but I received very defensive responses along the lines of 'I'm not racist, I don't see colour, how dare you imply that I am and do'. For the record I never insinuated anyone was being racist. One particular time I called a colleague out on it and he stopped for a moment in thought, then turned to me and said 'that's not ok, is it?' I honestly could've bear-hugged him just for the acknowledgement. My name isn't hard to pronounce by the way, it's Raman and a lot of people call me Ram.

A couple more personal examples:
I've been congratulated for 'not looking Indian' by white people
It has become second-nature to me to be mindful of what I am wearing and what bag I should carry when I know I'm going on public transport, because I don't wan't to receive 'that look'.
I have lost potential freelance employment based on my name and for a time when I worked in recruitment, I witnessed first hand the profiling by clients (mostly subconsciously) of candidates they hadn't met based on name and skin colour. I have been told 'oh thank GHod, I thought you weren't going to be able to speak English' when I've turned up on a job. Or 'you're not how I expected you to sound/look like'.
Having to explain 'where I'm really from' every time someone asks me where I'm from, then having to explain my skin tone as I don't look Indian enough or being told I'm outright lying.
Having to prepare myself if I get into a potentially argumentative situation with someone I don't know for the eventual reference to my colour/background/ethnicity

I have to see colour even when I don't wish to. To be able to say 'I don't see colour' is a privilege in itself, but I also think it masks the underlying issue of not wanting to feel uncomfortable. This is not to undermine your valid experience of referencing your circle of friends and being able to differentiate colour and character. Chich made a valid example too where someone's skin colour shouldn't shield them or trap them in being called out for behaving badly. I have predominantly white friendship circles where my colour and background is hardly ever in my thoughts. Unless we discussed subjects around race, where even my closest friends have fallen into a trap of expecting me to share their experience because they 'don't see colour'. They don't use that term anymore based on us sharing experiences and listening to each others viewpoints.

I was looking for a great article I read a couple of years ago on the science of seeing colour and how it's impossible not to, but sadly I can't find it. However I did find this one just now which I think expresses my personal viewpoints so much more succinctly.

So the tl;dr is this https://theeverygirl.com/i-dont-see-color/ !

Last edited:
Do you have a better phrase for what Sol Campbell does? Happy to use another one if there's one that fits.

I knew someone might bring him and this example up ;)

He is of course insinuating that his skin colour is the reason he hasn't been hired in potential positions or has been held back. In general, that can be a very valid concern for people of colour and I have been a party to this first-hand. In Sol Campbell's case, I would go for 'being a clam'.

Last edited:
I knew someone might bring him and this example up ;)

He is of course insinuating that his skin colour is the reason he hasn't been hired in potential positions or has been held back. In general, that can be a very valid concern. In Sol Campbell's case, I would go for 'being a clam'.
That's being a clam, but not what I was thinking of.

I meant him using race to shut down discussion when he was being called a traitor

Back