• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Berbatov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't that what fans generally do? Isn't that why we are fans to begin with?

How is it naive or childish to not want a guy back who has made it perfectly clear in the past he believes himself above our club? And back in the day Campbell would've made our defence better if he'd rejoined, why is that an unfair comparison? Because it shows that despite all the talk of letting emotion rule, you do have a line in the sand yourself?

How about if we spent 1.5m on him, he was a dressing room cancer moping about the place, didn't win us any games and we finished 7th. Who would say yes?

:lol:

He was...

He went on top-score for the champions.

Anyone who thinks that there isn't a single player who would try to enginner themselves a move from Spurs should a club come in for them who are the biggest club in England, contesting (and usually winning) the title every year and always in the Champions league needs to get real. The fact that such a move also typically doubles their salary, bonuses, endorsements from their sponsors is another huge carrot that no player will turn down. And all of this is before you consider the fact that the agent will also get a massive pay day.

Remember also that in Berbatov's case this is a Bulgarian guy who'd come to us from Germany and (in his mind) owed us nothing. It hurt when he left because he was a seriously bloody good player, but as soon as Man Utd came sniffing I was always clear that he would be going (just as I was with Carrick).

My thoughts on getting him back now are that it would make perfect sense. We get a player who could play up front on his own, in the withdrawn role behind Adebayor or alongside Soldado. He is a player that has brilliant control, vision, passing ability and finishing skills. He is perfectly suited to a team playing good, attacking football and he would be able to hit the ground running. If he mopes about and is difficult in the dressing room then he doesn't get picked. Personally though I think if we got Berbatov back he would be doing all he could to get himself in the team again and get the fans onside.

Anyone who thinks that there isn't a single player who would try to enginner themselves a move from Spurs should a club come in for them who are the biggest club in England, contesting (and usually winning) the title every year and always in the Champions league needs to get real. The fact that such a move also typically doubles their salary, bonuses, endorsements from their sponsors is another huge carrot that no player will turn down. And all of this is before you consider the fact that the agent will also get a massive pay day.

Remember also that in Berbatov's case this is a Bulgarian guy who'd come to us from Germany and (in his mind) owed us nothing. It hurt when he left because he was a seriously bloody good player, but as soon as Man Utd came sniffing I was always clear that he would be going (just as I was with Carrick).

My thoughts on getting him back now are that it would make perfect sense. We get a player who could play up front on his own, in the withdrawn role behind Adebayor or alongside Soldado. He is a player that has brilliant control, vision, passing ability and finishing skills. He is perfectly suited to a team playing good, attacking football and he would be able to hit the ground running. If he mopes about and is difficult in the dressing room then he doesn't get picked. Personally though I think if we got Berbatov back he would be doing all he could to get himself in the team again and get the fans onside.

Again, I think this kind of opinion misses the point of those who are resistant. It is possible to make clear ones desire to leave without being openly disrespectful to the club. That is why I draw a clear distinction between the likes of Carrick and Bale, and at the other end of the scale Modric and Berbatov.

Regarding the second bolded point, all of my experience of this man lead me to strongly disagree.

Re: berbatov do you think he misses us?

Taking my inspiration from the OP of the Adebayor thread, I don't want him (Berbatov) back - there, I've said it!

Isn't that what fans generally do? Isn't that why we are fans to begin with?

How is it naive or childish to not want a guy back who has made it perfectly clear in the past he believes himself above our club? And back in the day Campbell would've made our defence better if he'd rejoined, why is that an unfair comparison? Because it shows that despite all the talk of letting emotion rule, you do have a line in the sand yourself?

How about if we spent 1.5m on him, he was a dressing room cancer moping about the place, didn't win us any games and we finished 7th. Who would say yes?

Massive difference between what Campbell did and what Berbatov, Modric, Bale etc have done. At least to me.

I'd forgive Berbatov if he publicly admitted that he acted like a **** last time around. Doubt he ever would, but that's what I'd demand from him to come back. I don't blame him for leaving, he'd chosen us over United in the first place, they finished 1st then 1st and won the Champions League, whereas we finished 5th then 11th. What wasn't acceptable were his constant comments from his agent during the season about how much he wanted to leave, his sulking and moaning on the pitch, his refusal to play in his final two games when under contract, and then on the day he finally left, he went up to Manchester behind our backs, underwent a medical with Man Utd before we'd given them permission to speak with him and waited quite publicly at their training ground for us to fold and accept the bid.

Lots of footballers do stupid **** and behave like ****s. Especially when they've got a **** of an agent whispering things in their ear and a football club full of ****s who are trying to sign them. But he's gotta be able to accept he was wrong to behave the way he did if he wants come back here. We gave Carrick the same transfer, but he went about getting it in a dignified manner, and isn't hated by any Spurs fans as a result.

The concern I'd have with bringing Berbatov back at this stage, even if he were to apologise, is Soldado. Where would that leave him? We've just spent £26m on the guy, are we going to write him off for an almost 33 year old Fulham player?

The concern I'd have with bringing Berbatov back at this stage, even if he were to apologise, is Soldado. Where would that leave him? We've just spent £26m on the guy, are we going to write him off for an almost 33 year old Fulham player?

Berbatov is cover, that's all, extremely cheap but quality cover.

The problem is we play 2 up front sometimes and we really only have two strikers - Ade/Soldado

Injuries or suspensions at the wrong time could be a disaster (think March), having only Kane/Lamela to lead the line for any amount of games is unthinkable.

And as much as I'm a fan of Soldado, if Berbatov takes his place, it will be by merit

Berbatov scoring pace is well behind his numbers for last year. Only four in 17 league appearances. One in a 4-1 loss to Everton, the rest against weak sisters.

But he's cheap and if he has to sit on the bench and wait, well, it's not like that'll cost him a World Cup appearance. If he's willing to come over, train hard, and accept a B role, I'd reverse my previous sentiment and bring him in. Probably release him in the summer.

Berbatov scoring pace is well behind his numbers for last year. Only four in 17 league appearances. One in a 4-1 loss to Everton, the rest against weak sisters.

But he's cheap and if he has to sit on the bench and wait, well, it's not like that'll cost him a World Cup appearance. If he's willing to come over, train hard, and accept a B role, I'd reverse my previous sentiment and bring him in. Probably release him in the summer.

In a way, that's better revenge than telling him to just **** off in the first place. We bring him in and then tell him that, just as we weren't good enough for him five and a half years ago, he is not good enough to play for us now. Add to the squad, sit him on the bench when Soldado and Ade both start up front, and then tell him to **** off with finality come the summer.

I like that plan, actually.

Ade will have a dip at some point. The kind of player Berbatov is, gives us great flexibility in our options. I can see him being a good foil for Bobby and can equally play alone if required (with intelligent support).

He is cheap, proven, and if he has a conscience may try that little bit harder to straighten out the past.

That said, Timmy may be seeing Lamela as the extra forward (no.10).

Hyperthetical...

How would people feel if we signed Hernandez (Man U) and Berbatov for a combined fee of around £18m meaning we now had Ade, Soldado, Berba and Hernandes?

I'd say one or the other please. Whilst I like the idea of having that much firepower it won't work out well for us unless we play 442 from now on, which I'm still convinced we won't do later down the line. Also, all of those guys need to play central. At UTD Hernandez was ok whilst he had had Welbeck and Rooney around as they didn't directly challenge his position (both could play in the same front line as him as wide forwards or in behind). Could you honestly say any of that group of forwards could play as a number 10 or wide forward??

Berbatov is still capable of individual moments of magic but personally I'd spend the money on Hernandez. He looks off form now but he was once razor sharp in the box and no doubt still is if given the belief to go out and play. He's also younger.

I'd say one or the other please. Whilst I like the idea of having that much firepower it won't work out well for us unless we play 442 from now on, which I'm still convinced we won't do later down the line. Also, all of those guys need to play central. At UTD Hernandez was ok whilst he had had Welbeck and Rooney around as they didn't directly challenge his position (both could play in the same front line as him as wide forwards or in behind). Could you honestly say any of that group of forwards could play as a number 10 or wide forward??

Berbatov is still capable of individual moments of magic but personally I'd spend the money on Hernandez. He looks off form now but he was once razor sharp in the box and no doubt still is if given the belief to go out and play. He's also younger.

Surely the same could be said about Torres and yet, he's never rediscovered his best form.

For me Torres never looked the same since that big injury he had, he seemed to lose some of his pace and power. Hernandez fell out of favour at UTD and Moyes doesn't seem to fancy him either, think his is a different case. You could be right though, the confidence may never come back but we aren't spending £50 million

In Summer in might be a different story, but if the options were

- Berbatov for 1.5M or
- Hernandez for closer to 10M

Berbatov wins all day long

Truth is we have a first choice front two -> Ade/Soldado
We have a young promising player -> Lamela
We need experienced cover (cheap) in case of injuries/suspensions/fatique -> Berbatov

Makes no sense paying 7-12M for a striker when we don't know what we are doing in summer (i.e. same manager? Ade staying/going? how much money will we have?)

I'll take him back purely so we can close the book on these threads popping up on a weekly basis where we all pine for a player to come back that has not even once stated a desire to come back and plenty of ex Spurs players have talked about how they still follow our results and admire the club, not heard one mention of Spurs by Berbatov. He'd be coming back literally because he has no other option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back