• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Benjamin Stambouli

Looks like we bought a midfield leader who can fill in at centre half and full back.
This is from December.

http://frenchfootballweekly.com/2013/12/22/three-pailladins-benjamin-stambouli/

Three Pailladins – Benjamin Stambouli

Away at Valenciennes in game 13, Benjamin Stambouli played his 100th professional game for his club formateur, Montpellier. A native of Marseille, as a child he played for them, then FC Sion and CS Sedan Ardennes, where his father Henri was working, and ES Uzès Pont du Gard before joining MHSC at the age of 14. Part of the Gambardella-winning youth side of 2009, he was promoted from the reserves to the senior team for the 2010/11 season and has since made himself indispensable to la Paillade.

A defensive midfielder by trade, his back-up position as central defender has been coming in particularly useful in a season where Montpellier have had a terrible disciplinary record, with 10 red cards in the first 19 league games, and another in the league cup. He can drop back to the defensive line to prevent the need for an immediate substitution, and when the backline was most seriously impacted by unavailabilities, for the game against Saint-Etienne, he started as part of a back three. In the post-title hangover season, he also ended up playing in both fullback positions as injuries and suspensions took their toll.

This polyvalence is an ideal attribute for any Montpellier player. A lack of money and of squad depth coupled with the occasional feeling that anything that can go wrong does go wrong, means MHSC need players willing to give their all wherever they are put. Defensively solid, with a fine eye for an interception, he can also push play forward, combining with more attacking players in midfield with short passing and lay-offs to try to build up a break. His understanding with his old friend from the Gambardella days, Remy Cabella, is clear, but also with his usual sidekicks in midfield this season, Joris Marveaux and Morgan Sanson.

Stambouli capped his centenary match with an injury-time equaliser, only his second league goal for the club (his first, a late consolation, barely celebrated, came away at Bordeaux in the 4-2 defeat in April 2013; he also scored in the 120th minute of the 3-2 League Cup defeat at Sochaux). It was the second time in a row that Montpellier had conceded early, and escaped with a 91st minute leveller – not great for their fans’ collective blood pressure, but a sign, again, of some dogged determination in the team. Playing every minute of the 18 league games he has been available for (he was suspended for game 7), he is Montpellier’s most-used player, and he encapsulates a much-needed never-say-die attitude.

Stambouli sums up many of Montpellier’s positive defining characteristics, therefore – the guy who has come up through the ranks, plays wherever, never stops, and whose loyalties are evident to see. It was him atop the epic pile-on after the last-minute winner against Lille that set up the title win (and who, with Giroud, then threw his shorts to the ultras). It was him, at half-time in the eerily quiet opening game of the 2012/13 season, who went to ask the striking fans of Etang de Thau to start singing, as the team needed their support.

At only 23, he wears the captain’s armband in the absence of Vitorino Hilton, and has taken to this new role like a natural, chivvying the backline, urging his teammates on, negotiating diplomatically with referees. Montpellier have undergone another managerial change after a disappointing series of results, and their Christmas present is to be genuine relegation contenders. They sit 17th on 17, only four points above the red zone, and as Valenciennes and Sochaux start to pull themselves together, Montpellier need to do the same. Game 20 will be at home to Monaco – now Stambouli is needed more than ever, both as a player, and a leader.

Firstly, if you remember the news stories that broke about the double signing of Schneiderlin and Rodriguez that we were apparently inches from pulling off last month, they were pretty much all instantly confirmed by nearly all the big news sources around (BBC, Guardian, Telegraph, even the New York Times), which indicates that it was a pretty solid news story, both in terms of substance and authenticity. Since then, we've had a drip-drip feed of news from these same mostly reputable sources that repeat the same assertions: Schneiderlin remains the primary target, Poch wants a LWF, etcetera, etcetera. So all that together indicates that we were very seriously interested in both players, and the fact that we've subsequently been scared off by Southampton shouldn't mask that.

Secondly, returning to the centre-back situation, I said quite clearly that missing out on Moreno wasn't our fault, and I was fine with that. Similarly, I was okay with missing out on Musacchio because of the third-party issues that bedeviled his potential signing. Taken in isolation, the unsuccessful conclusions of both those deals were perfectly acceptable. But when put into our broader transfer policy this summer, then you begin to see a pattern, is what I'm saying. Couldn't get Moreno, couldn't get Musacchio, went for Fazio. Couldn't get Rodriguez, now apparently after Welbeck. And now, potentially 'couldn't get Schneiderlin, went for one of either this Stambouli lad or Song'. One or two failures to acquire our primary targets is a fact of life: failing to acquire any of our apparent primary targets for three pretty important positions is not a good window, even including the successful conclusion of the Vorm and Davies transfers. I'm of the opinion that Dier was a Broomfield signing anyway, but overall, the trend seems unmistakeable. And the point is, it needn't have been. Getting either Schneiderlin or Rodriguez in January is admittedly possible, but given a) Levy's aversion to mid-season dealings, b) the squad places filled by the presumed replacements for both players (potentially Stambouli for Schneiderlin and Welbeck for Rodriguez) and c) the high likelihood of other teams (Arsenal, Liverpool, maybe even United) swooping in and outbidding us for said players in the next window, especially given the presumed cooling of Schneiderlin's desire to join only us by then......all that together makes the prospect unlikely.

Overall, I'm not judging Poch until the beginning of next season: that remains a certainty. But if this transfer goes through, I won't be able to shake the nagging feeling that all the pledges we as a fanbase made at the start of this summer (support the new man, don't judge him or second guess his targets, give him time) evidently haven't been repeated at the boardroom level. I hope Poch proves to be a better manager than AVB and moulds even his second and third choice players into a cohesive unit, but if he doesn't, then I am 200 percent certain that we'll look back at this transfer window, and particularly Schneiderlin, as the missing piece of the puzzle, the one thing we did wrong that could have made it all come together. Like Moutinho, like Willian, like....well, the list goes on, really. So, for that reason if nothing else, I'm wary of all this.

This Schneiderlin and Rodriguez thing that you're hung up on - Yes it was in a load of media that a deal had been agreed, which the Southampton chairman flat out denied less than a day later and stated both would not be sold. Many have suggested this was a deliberate leak from Southampton to the media after their exodus to appease the fans, unfortunately it seems Schneiderlin was the victim. I dont think its a secret that we wanted Schneiderlin, but like others have also said its often the case you dont get your top targets for various reasons. The list of players we will target and not get will go on and on for years to come Im afraid like 95+% of clubs have to deal with, even a club the size of Man U are being gazumped for players so you should train yourself to accept this just like coaches who manage us have to....

Firstly, if you remember the news stories that broke about the double signing of Schneiderlin and Rodriguez that we were apparently inches from pulling off last month, they were pretty much all instantly confirmed by nearly all the big news sources around (BBC, Guardian, Telegraph, even the New York Times), which indicates that it was a pretty solid news story, both in terms of substance and authenticity. Since then, we've had a drip-drip feed of news from these same mostly reputable sources that repeat the same assertions: Schneiderlin remains the primary target, Poch wants a LWF, etcetera, etcetera. So all that together indicates that we were very seriously interested in both players, and the fact that we've subsequently been scared off by Southampton shouldn't mask that.

Secondly, returning to the centre-back situation, I said quite clearly that missing out on Moreno wasn't our fault, and I was fine with that. Similarly, I was okay with missing out on Musacchio because of the third-party issues that bedeviled his potential signing. Taken in isolation, the unsuccessful conclusions of both those deals were perfectly acceptable. But when put into our broader transfer policy this summer, then you begin to see a pattern, is what I'm saying. Couldn't get Moreno, couldn't get Musacchio, went for Fazio. Couldn't get Rodriguez, now apparently after Welbeck. And now, potentially 'couldn't get Schneiderlin, went for one of either this Stambouli lad or Song'. One or two failures to acquire our primary targets is a fact of life: failing to acquire any of our apparent primary targets for three pretty important positions is not a good window, even including the successful conclusion of the Vorm and Davies transfers. I'm of the opinion that Dier was a Broomfield signing anyway, but overall, the trend seems unmistakeable. And the point is, it needn't have been. Getting either Schneiderlin or Rodriguez in January is admittedly possible, but given a) Levy's aversion to mid-season dealings, b) the squad places filled by the presumed replacements for both players (potentially Stambouli for Schneiderlin and Welbeck for Rodriguez) and c) the high likelihood of other teams (Arsenal, Liverpool, maybe even United) swooping in and outbidding us for said players in the next window, especially given the presumed cooling of Schneiderlin's desire to join only us by then......all that together makes the prospect unlikely.

Overall, I'm not judging Poch until the beginning of next season: that remains a certainty. But if this transfer goes through, I won't be able to shake the nagging feeling that all the pledges we as a fanbase made at the start of this summer (support the new man, don't judge him or second guess his targets, give him time) evidently haven't been repeated at the boardroom level. I hope Poch proves to be a better manager than AVB and moulds even his second and third choice players into a cohesive unit, but if he doesn't, then I am 200 percent certain that we'll look back at this transfer window, and particularly Schneiderlin, as the missing piece of the puzzle, the one thing we did wrong that could have made it all come together. Like Moutinho, like Willian, like....well, the list goes on, really. So, for that reason if nothing else, I'm wary of all this.

Is it not possible to understand how frankly ridiculous this gripe sounds.

Are you saying we should pay 30 million or something similar to get Schneiderlin? Because that is what it would take and even then I am pretty sure Southampton will not sell. Their chairman would look like an idiot to the fans and they simply do not need the money.

We are (assuming it goes through) spending just 5 mill on a 24 year old with resale value. If it does not work out, he is still an asset and we will get the money back - and then go back for Schniederlin next summer. If however Poch can convert Stambouli to his next Schneiderlin, we would have saved 25 mill in the process...

This Schneiderlin and Rodriguez thing that you're hung up on - Yes it was in a load of media that a deal had been agreed, which the Southampton chairman flat out denied less than a day later and stated both would not be sold. Many have suggested this was a deliberate leak from Southampton to the media after their exodus to appease the fans, unfortunately it seems Schneiderlin was the victim. I dont think its a secret that we wanted Schneiderlin, but like others have also said its often the case you dont get your top targets for various reasons. The list of players we will target and not get will go on and on for years to come Im afraid like 95+% of clubs have to deal with, even a club the size of Man U are being gazumped for players so you should train yourself to accept this just like coaches who manage us have to....

In reply to the first point, I've said again and again that missing out on some of our targets is inevitable, that's football life. I will say it again, because you seem to be fanatically committed to the notion that somehow I do not grasp this: we will miss out on some of our targets every year. Does that mean that I should be perfectly happy about potentially missing out on Schneiderlin? **** no, and I won't be. That deal, regardless of the backtracking that came later, was achievable. It was achievable when Southampton set a price (27 million pounds, in their own damn words), and when Schneiderlin did everything in his power to force a transfer to us. We pay that price, we get our man. And thus, dovetailing into the second point:

Is it not possible to understand how frankly ridiculous this gripe sounds.

Are you saying we should pay 30 million or something similar to get Schneiderlin? Because that is what it would take and even then I am pretty sure Southampton will not sell. Their chairman would look like an idiot to the fans and they simply do not need the money.

We are (assuming it goes through) spending just 5 mill on a 24 year old with resale value. If it does not work out, he is still an asset and we will get the money back - and then go back for Schniederlin next summer. If however Poch can convert Stambouli to his next Schneiderlin, we would have saved 25 mill in the process...

Yes. Absolutely, positively, yes. That's what I think we should do. If not through a straight cash deal, then through a player exchange plus cash. It won't bankrupt us: with the outgoings we're apparently negotiating, I doubt it will even push us into a negative net spend. That is what I believe backing Pochettino entails, at least for this, his first window at the club. Schneiderlin is a player he wants, and is a player I'm convinced would be to Poch what Moutinho could have been for AVB. That won't change my support for this Stambouli guy should he come in, and if Poch can turn him into a player that would shine for us in way that I'm convinced Schneiderlin would do, then great. But let's not pretend that we've done a good job going for what were apparently Poch's primary targets: if this deal comes off, then that is both ludicrous and patently untrue.

We are in for a good season, I can feel it. But if we end the window with just the squad we have now plus Stambouli or Welbeck, then please let's not congratulate ourselves on giving Poch all the tools he's asked for, because as a club, we haven't. We didn't do it for AVB, faffing about on the Moutinho deal and then letting Willian slip away from us, and we won't have done it for Poch: all we can then hope for is that Poch overcomes that and succeeds anyway.

In reply to the first point, I've said again and again that missing out on some of our targets is inevitable, that's football life. I will say it again, because you seem to be fanatically committed to the notion that somehow I do not grasp this: we will miss out on some of our targets every year. Does that mean that I should be perfectly happy about potentially missing out on Schneiderlin? **** no, and I won't be. That deal, regardless of the backtracking that came later, was achievable. It was achievable when Southampton set a price (27 million pounds, in their own damn words), and when Schneiderlin did everything in his power to force a transfer to us. We pay that price, we get our man. And thus, dovetailing into the second point:

I dont think it was ever achieveable unless as someone had previously suggested we did the deal before their mini exodus. They said he wasnt for sale and he wasnt, irrespective of Morgan playing up. Can I ask for a link to where Southampton said we could have him for £27m? Id never heard about that....

Im glad unlike Liverpool and Man Utd were not spending stupid money on players who arent worth even half the fee this season

WOW. That escalated quickly. Has anybody ever heard of this guy?

Montpellier have confirmed that they have agreed a fee with @SpursOfficial for Benjamin Stambouli of Montpellier #MHSC

I've heard of him but read a bit about him but wouldn't pretend to be particularly clued up

Maybe we're going to loan him to Southampton in exchange for Schneiderlin? Don't think they stand a chance if they were to bid for him.

I dont think it was ever achieveable unless as someone had previously suggested we did the deal before their mini exodus. They said he wasnt for sale and he wasnt, irrespective of Morgan playing up. Can I ask for a link to where Southampton said we could have him for £27m? Id never heard about that....

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/25/southampton-morgan-schneiderlin-tottenham

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...eiderlin-set-to-demand-move-to-Tottenham.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...mpton-insist-Jay-Rodriguez-going-nowhere.html

From most to least creditable. That period was when a determined effort to pay that fee would have seen him become a Spurs player, and I still think that if we were to get a bit above that fee now, we'd get our man. There's plenty more news from the same writers (plus more reputable sources like Henry Winter) that indicate that we subsequently ****ed them off by offering 10, 13 and 17 million pound bids, which would explain the backtracking Krueger and everyone else at St.Mary's subsequently did over his availability, but their concrete interest in Townsend (Koeman said he was interested yesterday or the day before yesterday, if I recall) could still offer us a lifeline on this deal.

If we've given up on him and gone for Stambouli, that can only mean that this deal went utterly cold at some point over the past few days. Which, considering his availability earlier in the summer (as documented above), and possibly before the exodus itself...well, that doesn't scream 'backing the manager' to me. Either we've refused to pay Southampton's asking price or Southampton have refused to deal with us. It's a bit of a failure either way, given their previous willingness and Poch's evident desire to see a deal done.

Typical Spurs, always go for the cheap option. Hopefully he ends up being a gem.

You are so right Rossi. Soldado - cheap, Lamela, so so cheap (not to mention Bentley, Modric and Bent). Tightwad Levy NEVER spends any cash. Last year he spent nowt and look what that got us.

Looks like he has a good enough range of passing to play alongside Capoue in games where we need a bit more of a defensive shape, or as the soul DM.

Damn, I've barely heard of him before. We've now bought a whole team of players over the past year.

Vorm
Yedlin - Dier - Fazio - Davies
Capoue - Stambouli - Eriksen - Lamela - Chadli
Soldado

(Paulinho, Chiriches)

That's pretty crazy.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/25/southampton-morgan-schneiderlin-tottenham

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...eiderlin-set-to-demand-move-to-Tottenham.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...mpton-insist-Jay-Rodriguez-going-nowhere.html

From most to least creditable. That period was when a determined effort to pay that fee would have seen him become a Spurs player, and I still think that if we were to get a bit above that fee now, we'd get our man. There's plenty more news from the same writers (plus more reputable sources like Henry Winter) that indicate that we subsequently ****ed them off by offering 10, 13 and 17 million pound bids, which would explain the backtracking Krueger and everyone else at St.Mary's subsequently did over his availability, but their concrete interest in Townsend (Koeman said he was interested yesterday or the day before yesterday, if I recall) could still offer us a lifeline on this deal.

If we've given up on him and gone for Stambouli, that can only mean that this deal went utterly cold at some point over the past few days. Which, considering his availability earlier in the summer (as documented above), and possibly before the exodus itself...well, that doesn't scream 'backing the manager' to me. Either we've refused to pay Southampton's asking price or Southampton have refused to deal with us. It's a bit of a failure either way, given their previous willingness and Poch's evident desire to see a deal done.

That Guardian article is just your standard speculative article and says 'in excess of £27m' You said 'Southampton set a price of £27m - in their own words' which clearly they haven't. I think you're just creating a scenario without knowing enough facts. What we do know is that Schneiderlin wanted to go, but Southampton clearly stated he's not for sale. According to you this was still a deal that could be concluded but I can't see any evidence to support that. If you want to view this as a 'failure' then fair enough, lets just agree to disagree....

That Guardian article is just your standard speculative article and says 'in excess of £27m' You said 'Southampton set a price of £27m - in their own words' which clearly they haven't. I think you're just creating a scenario without knowing enough facts. What we do know is that Schneiderlin wanted to go, but Southampton clearly stated he's not for sale. According to you this was still a deal that could be concluded but I can't see any evidence to support that. If you want to view this as a 'failure' then fair enough, lets just agree to disagree....

Fair enough. If it's an outright declaration of a price you were looking for, then I apologise, that wasn't what I intended to convey. I believe there is more than just speculation behind the consistency of the press when it comes to reporting the facts of this transfer saga: they've all said the same thing across the board, even the BBC (which checks its sources more frequently than most of the other news sources out there). You don't. I believe that failing to secure our manager's primary, 'must-have' target, despite being burned by that occurrence with the last permanent guy...I believe that's a failure. You don't. Again, fair enough, they're differing enough viewpoints that I won't try to change your opinion on them.

You are so right Rossi. Soldado - cheap, Lamela, so so cheap (not to mention Bentley, Modric and Bent). Tightwad Levy NEVER spends any cash. Last year he spent nowt and look what that got us.

Those were extenuating circumstances, more often than not we get a manager who wants a certain player and Levy finds a cheaper version.

Back