• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Benjamin Stambouli

Handsome son of a gun isn't he? In a FCUK sort of way rather than a Rock Hudson sort of way.

I logged on specifically to make that contribution. On a Friday night. :(

Spent a few minutes watching youtube vids. from what I saw, this is how I would summarise him:
- Defensive midfidler
- quite physical, seems to fly into challenges and go to ground a lot
- Has very quick feet - pirouettes, turns etc which you wouldnt typically get from a DM
- passing range seems pretty decent as well

Thats only from youtube though!

Does look like he's a Sandro replacement. Guess that we're thinking sell Sadnro, sign this dude and bank about £10m profit. Quesiton is what we're going to use that money for. we're obviously not planning to sign schneiderlin if we're signing this chap, so either we're going to get another CB in and ship out chiriches or Kaboom or someone like Wellbeck is also coming in

I like signings like this. Ones out of nowhere for players we've never heard anything from for a cheap fee. He's young at 24 too so could be a bargain or he could flop and we would most likely get that fee back and flog him back to France.

What on earth are you talking about, if Southampton dont want to sell Schneiderlin what is Levy meant to do? Managers do have a list of players if they cant obtain their first choice - unless youre Real Madrid you're not going to secure all your first choices. Looking at our business so far the new signings are looking good, I dont think youre being realistic at all....

Same view abounded last year, and I was a part of that: I raved about how good our transfers had been and how balanced a squad AVB had assembled, despite missing out on players like Moutinho and Willian. And then we learned that AVB didn't fancy most of the players we brought in, and his inability to fit them into his style let to his acrimonious departure.

Call me crazy, but I feel we could have secured deals for Schneiderlin, Rodriguez or any of the other first choices if we'd tried our hardest and met Southampton/A.N Other's asking price. It was achievable, given the outgoings we're trying to shift and the money that they'll presumably bring in to offset any incoming deals. And I'd have preferred that to securing any other players, even if they were superficially better deals or offered better value. I feel like that's what backing the manager is, and I suspect that sometimes w give up on doing that too quickly as a club. So yeah, I'm concerned.

I like signings like this. Ones out of nowhere for players we've never heard anything from for a cheap fee. He's young at 24 too so could be a bargain or he could flop and we would most likely get that fee back and flog him back to France.

You know a lot about european leagues, you seen him at all ???

Literally have no idea who he is, but I love the way we are doing business this season. No protracted transfer sagas. No spats with other clubs. No leaked reports. No getting obsessed with certain targets and overpaying for them. Seems like we are finding targets, making bids we think are right, then moving on if they don't match our valuation.

Really hope that Poch is behind all of these signings (no reason to think he wouldn't be), but if these are the guys he really wants, this is exactly the kind of business I want us to do.

cue £32m bid for Schneiderlin!

Same view abounded last year, and I was a part of that: I raved about how good our transfers had been and how balanced a squad AVB had assembled, despite missing out on players like Moutinho and Willian. And then we learned that AVB didn't fancy most of the players we brought in, and his inability to fit them into his style let to his acrimonious departure.

Call me crazy, but I feel we could have secured deals for Schneiderlin, Rodriguez or any of the other first choices if we'd tried our hardest and met Southampton/A.N Other's asking price. It was achievable, given the outgoings we're trying to shift and the money that they'll presumably bring in to offset any incoming deals. And I'd have preferred that to securing any other players, even if they were superficially better deals or offered better value. I feel like that's what backing the manager is, and I suspect that sometimes w give up on doing that too quickly as a club. So yeah, I'm concerned.

You complained about Moreno and Musacchio - One was injured if he was even a first choice, and the other was too difficult with 3rd party - Im really not sure what more you think should have been done, and I find it highly unlikely Fazio wasn't a signing that Poch wanted once Musacchio deal was accepted as dead.

As for Schneiderlin Southampton wanted to make a point and not sell. I wouldnt want us paying stupid money way over the odds just because he's a first choice target, we dont have a bottomless pit and its not a position we desperately need to strengthen. Rodriguez, do you know for a fact how intensely we were in for him? Hes had a serious injury and noone knows if his performance levels are going to be the same again. Also doesnt he have a year left on his contract? Even if not, we could come in for him in January once we have seen how his comeback has been.

Are you telling me you dont think Dier,Yedlin,Davies,Worm - a footballing keeper were Poch choices? Of course they were.

I really think you should relax, Im sure Poch is happy....

The same Southampton who have already raked in loads in transfer fee, therefore inflating the price of the players left. If we wanted Schniederlin then we had to buy him before the exodus.

Hotspur Related ‏@HotspurRelated
Get French Football understand Montpellier have accepted a bid of €6M from both Tottenham and Fiorentina for Benjamin Stambouli. #THFC

Hotspur Related ‏@HotspurRelated
Get French Football claim Stambouli hasn't decided who to join but both parties are expecting his decision by the end of this evening.

You know a lot about european leagues, you seen him at all ???

Don't really watch too much French football unless it's PSG, Monaco or anyone I've bet on from that division. In all honesty, didn't even know he existed until about 8pm tonight :lol:

Our mistake last summer was buying 7 players with absolutely no experience of playing in the PL which meant that they all needed at least half a season to get used to the league.

I was relieved when we bought Davies and Vorm who are PL experienced players but now we have bought Fazio, Dier and now potentially Stambouli; Ok so Dier appears to have hit the ground running but if we end up selling Sandro then we have a very vulnerable squad which is lacking much PL experience.

Part of the problem last season was that we signed 7 players with no PL experience. So far this summer that is true for Fazio, Yedlin and potentially this Stambouli guy. None of those will have to start regularly until they're ready and more adapted. Last season that was not the case I think.

As for signing players that aren't the first choice of the manager/head coach, for me that's just the way life is. Very few managers get all their first choice targets and part of the job is to aid the directors/scouts/whatevers identify multiple targets for each role, not just identify one superstar-esque player that you want and that's it. As part of the transfer strategy planned earlier this summer the top targets should have had approximate maximum values agreed upon by Baldini, Poch and Levy at least to some extent. If they're not available within that then they're not gettable for a reasonable fee, then we move on.

This seems like a good signing to me. We need a squad balanced with experienced premiership players and hungry up and coming ones. This guy seems like a good understudy to Capoue, and he's not gonna be stomping his feet demanding first team football every week, and realizes he's gonna have to prove himself and bide his time.

You complained about Moreno and Musacchio - One was injured if he was even a first choice, and the other was too difficult with 3rd party - Im really not sure what more you think should have been done, and I find it highly unlikely Fazio wasn't a signing that Poch wanted once Musacchio deal was accepted as dead.

As for Schneiderlin Southampton wanted to make a point and not sell. I wouldnt want us paying stupid money way over the odds just because he's a first choice target, we dont have a bottomless pit and its not a position we desperately need to strengthen. Rodriguez, do you know for a fact how intensely we were in for him? Hes had a serious injury and noone knows if his performance levels are going to be the same again. Also doesnt he have a year left on his contract? Even if not, we could come in for him in January once we have seen how his comeback has been.

Are you telling me you dont think Dier,Yedlin,Davies,Worm - a footballing keeper were Poch choices? Of course they were.

I really think you should relax, Im sure Poch is happy....

The same Southampton who have already raked in loads in transfer fee, therefore inflating the price of the players left. If we wanted Schniederlin then we had to buy him before the exodus.

Firstly, if you remember the news stories that broke about the double signing of Schneiderlin and Rodriguez that we were apparently inches from pulling off last month, they were pretty much all instantly confirmed by nearly all the big news sources around (BBC, Guardian, Telegraph, even the New York Times), which indicates that it was a pretty solid news story, both in terms of substance and authenticity. Since then, we've had a drip-drip feed of news from these same mostly reputable sources that repeat the same assertions: Schneiderlin remains the primary target, Poch wants a LWF, etcetera, etcetera. So all that together indicates that we were very seriously interested in both players, and the fact that we've subsequently been scared off by Southampton shouldn't mask that.

Secondly, returning to the centre-back situation, I said quite clearly that missing out on Moreno wasn't our fault, and I was fine with that. Similarly, I was okay with missing out on Musacchio because of the third-party issues that bedeviled his potential signing. Taken in isolation, the unsuccessful conclusions of both those deals were perfectly acceptable. But when put into our broader transfer policy this summer, then you begin to see a pattern, is what I'm saying. Couldn't get Moreno, couldn't get Musacchio, went for Fazio. Couldn't get Rodriguez, now apparently after Welbeck. And now, potentially 'couldn't get Schneiderlin, went for one of either this Stambouli lad or Song'. One or two failures to acquire our primary targets is a fact of life: failing to acquire any of our apparent primary targets for three pretty important positions is not a good window, even including the successful conclusion of the Vorm and Davies transfers. I'm of the opinion that Dier was a Broomfield signing anyway, but overall, the trend seems unmistakeable. And the point is, it needn't have been. Getting either Schneiderlin or Rodriguez in January is admittedly possible, but given a) Levy's aversion to mid-season dealings, b) the squad places filled by the presumed replacements for both players (potentially Stambouli for Schneiderlin and Welbeck for Rodriguez) and c) the high likelihood of other teams (Arsenal, Liverpool, maybe even United) swooping in and outbidding us for said players in the next window, especially given the presumed cooling of Schneiderlin's desire to join only us by then......all that together makes the prospect unlikely.

Overall, I'm not judging Poch until the beginning of next season: that remains a certainty. But if this transfer goes through, I won't be able to shake the nagging feeling that all the pledges we as a fanbase made at the start of this summer (support the new man, don't judge him or second guess his targets, give him time) evidently haven't been repeated at the boardroom level. I hope Poch proves to be a better manager than AVB and moulds even his second and third choice players into a cohesive unit, but if he doesn't, then I am 200 percent certain that we'll look back at this transfer window, and particularly Schneiderlin, as the missing piece of the puzzle, the one thing we did wrong that could have made it all come together. Like Moutinho, like Willian, like....well, the list goes on, really. So, for that reason if nothing else, I'm wary of all this.

Could it be that Montpellier agreeing to the fee is only about 50% of the deal? Perhaps clubs are regularly agreeing fees but the transfer doesnt then happen for a number of reasons - most commonly that the player chooses another club to go to.

For all we know we may be agreeing fee's with clubs to buy and sell players every day but not many of them every reach the public domain and lets face it, it is within the selling club's interest to make this public.

Could this have something to do with the fact that Taider has gone back to Italy?

Maybe, behind the scenes, a deal for Schneiderlin was looking likely for a while but that Taider's sudden departure put paid to it? Maybe that's when Spurs decided to activate their interest in Stambouli?

Would explain why it came so completely out of the blue and at the last minute.

What's interesting is that I haven't seen anyone claiming to have watched him before. Normally, there will at least be a few Football Manager players who swear by a player the rest of us haven't heard of. But there seems to be nothing of that sort with this player. he's not another Jimmy Kong, is he?

In any case, have a gif of this guy while I go for a bewildered walk to determine what's going on with this deal:

AcceptableImmaterialGalago.gif

Could it be that Montpellier agreeing to the fee is only about 50% of the deal? Perhaps clubs are regularly agreeing fees but the transfer doesnt then happen for a number of reasons - most commonly that the player chooses another club to go to.

For all we know we may be agreeing fee's with clubs to buy and sell players every day but not many of them every reach the public domain and lets face it, it is within the selling club's interest to make this public.

Exactly the same thought had occurred to me.

I would imagine that it goes on a lot in the dying days of the transfer window. Means we can have signings ready to go if we can't secure our first choice targets. So it may be that there's hope yet for the Schneiderlin deal. This could just be the contingency plan.

Back