• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB

The 'mumbling' one has a personal and professional trophy cabinet that would make Poch weep bitterly, you know. Not bad for a 'mumbler'.

I seem to recall he wants to manage in all of the leagues and then race cars for a living.

Always felt the Mourinho comparisons were OTT, he's Portugese, managed Porto and Chel53a and both play drab football but other than that, there's not much similarity in terms of personality and overall pedigree.

Yeah, I think he mentioned that he wants to retire at young enough age to be able to compete in the Dakar Rally. I found it interesting - certainly an unusual career choice when compared to the play-coach-manage-be a pundit (if you fail at management)/indulge your love of the horses (if you succeed) that is so commonly seen in the football world. Same thing with Wenger, to a lesser extent - I believe he's mentioned a few times that what he wants to do post-retirement is backpack around footballing backwaters in Asia and Africa (I think he specifically mentioned Bangladesh) coaching kids pro bono. Say what you like about the guy, but given that he's made several fortunes and could easily take the national team job/French FA presidency if he wished, that's an unusual career choice to want to make.

interesting, gonna be linked with a lot of top clubs with managers in their last contracted year or approaching retirement

PSG would be my guess but I do wonder about Barca as well, maybe even, dare I say it, a club not that many miles away

interesting, gonna be linked with a lot of top clubs with managers in their last contracted year or approaching retirement

PSG would be my guess but I do wonder about Barca as well, maybe even, dare I say it, a club not that many miles away

I don't think that he is going to be in a rush to work in this country again. If he does want to come back then I think he will get a lot easier ride if he had a successful stint in Italy, Germany or Spain first.

I don't think that he is going to be in a rush to work in this country again. If he does want to come back then I think he will get a lot easier ride if he had a successful stint in Italy, Germany or Spain first.
Agreed. The English press/fanbase isn't ready for someone who's openly an intellectual.

Just look at how Poch keeps underplaying how he and his team use stats or how Wenger/Benitez are regarded.

Not sure it is a wise thing to announce you are leaving publicly like that. I would say it is better to keep that knowledge among a select few at the top of the club food chain.

He must have something else lined up.

Agreed. The English press/fanbase isn't ready for someone who's openly an intellectual.

Just look at how Poch keeps underplaying how he and his team use stats or how Wenger/Benitez are regarded.

If he comes with a proven track record in a top league it will be hard to criticise his techinques.

For me he needs to toughen up before he has another crack at the PL because at both us and Chelsea he cracked under the pressure and went into his shell (alienating colleagues in the process).

If he comes with a proven track record in a top league it will be hard to criticise his techinques.

For me he needs to toughen up before he has another crack at the PL because at both us and Chel53a he cracked under the pressure and went into his shell (alienating colleagues in the process).

I think that is the best summing up of his time here, never believed he was brick like some fans say and I do not think he failed here either. The pressure got to him ( I think some forget he was only young for a manager) but I fully expect him to end up at a really big club and win things

I think that is the best summing up of his time here, never believed he was **** like some fans say and I do not think he failed here either. The pressure got to him ( I think some forget he was only young for a manager) but I fully expect him to end up at a really big club and win things

I agree.

He's too negative for Barca. Or his football is too negative I should have said.

Wenger is ridiculed because he acts like a buffoon at times (remember the incident at Old Trafford when he was sent off and stood up on some kind of erected table?), kicking water bottles around, pushing other managers, wearing coats that resemble sleeping bags as soon as the clocks go back. I don't think anyone doubts or belittles his knowledge of the game or his footballing philosophies.

With all respect, AVB has a long way to go to be compared to Wenger or even Benitez.

Reactions: DTA
Honestly the guy is a charlatan ...

- I like the message, I like the idea of modern, intellectual approach to the game, system, club, etc
- but that's all AVB is ... a story, no substance

When it came down to it, the "only" way he could match Redknapp's level of team was if we went out and bought two of the more expensive players in world football.

He's got ego/personality issues that will always get in the way, don't see him back in England (the press will have a field day with him regardless of what he achieves elsewhere) and his football makes it highly unlikely a true top level club will go for him (RA is the only sugar daddy who completely doesn't give a brick how bad the team looks once they win, and he failed there already).

Not at all surprised AVB wants to leave Zenit. He is young and ambitious. After winning the Russian league title with Zenit last season, always knew he would be looking for new challenges. Won't mind him coming back to Spurs even if there is unwritten rules that say you should not go back to your old club as a player or manager. He improved our defending and away records greatly. And who can forget that memorable win at ManU ! I am convinced we would have fight for the league title under AVB if Levy had not sold Bale to Real.

Back