• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

AVB

Not at all surprised AVB wants to leave Zenit. He is young and ambitious. After winning the Russian league title with Zenit last season, always knew he would be looking for new challenges. Won't mind him coming back to Spurs even if there is unwritten rules that say you should not go back to your old club as a player or manager. He improved our defending and away records greatly. And who can forget that memorable win at ManU ! I am convinced we would have fight for the league title under AVB if Levy had not sold Bale to Real.

The away form I will give you.

He did not improve our defending. This place loves stats;

In 2011/12 we conceded 41 goals.

In 2012/13 we conceded 46 goals.

And let's not even talk about the following season where we conceded threes, fives and sixes and looked more open than we have in years.

The following AVB has on this forum is incredible. He's the next Fergie if you listen to some. As Raziel says, he's a great story, but his results don't have the substance of a supposed "great manager".

I really wanted AVB to succeed, but for the last dozen games or so you could tell he had lost. No way I would have him back.

My personal opinion on AVB is that he has a huge ego. If he doesn't get the players he wants then it almost seems as if he acts like a petulant child. That may be unfair, but sometimes managers just have to get on with it and make do with a second option. That sort of attitude would work well at a club where they have the financial backing to sign anyone of the manager's choosing, but there aren't many of those clubs.

I think he is a good manager, but the question marks I have over him is if he can build a sustainable team. Rather than buying the players of his choosing instead looking to develop those players. I don't know if it is living in the shadow of Mourinho but he shows a remarkable lack of awareness of how he is perceived (or he just doesn't care) such that he invites pressure from the media. Being more diplomatic would be a lesson learned for him.

Take his treatment of Adebayor. Ultimately Poch and AVB have the same view, except Poch has managed to do the same without upsetting the players. AVB needs to be a better man manager and squad manager imho.

Well it definitely has the potential to be if not there yet. Poch's system is more open and focused on attack whilst AVB was focused on stifling the opponents play.

On occasion the style of football we serve up now is very reminiscent of the risk averse fare that AVB served up, but the main difference IMO is that Poch is a pragmatic man who appears to adapt. AVB had one playbook and stuck to it rigidly. It wasn't the most exiting stuff but maybe it could be argued that it was effective to a point. Poch seems willing to change things to to achieve an objective which bodes well for the future.

picked up another trophy today, could be a valuable psychological blow in the league race as well

he's doing well to keep them eyes on having announced his departure at the start of the season

Back