• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

I like Shaka. Coming after the first bloke - was that Craig Burley? - and his "boy done great" and "useless for nobody" mangling of the English language, Shaka came across as articulate and as someone who might actually have carried on with his school studies beyond the first-year seniors. (That's ... er ... year 7 for you young 'uns]. I agree with what Frank LeB said, too. Conte has changed the club without spending any money but most of us suspect he is going to want to buy a few players and that Levy has lured him to the club on the proviso that Spurs will go balls-out to get the players Conte wants.

I know a lot of people are still pining for Poch but I do worry that if he ever came back it would be Richard Burton and Liz Taylor all over again; the way things have worked out (i.e. Conte not Poch) might prove better for us.

Conte has got us very quickly back to where poch had us.
Almost all of the players look capable of doing their job and getting replacements in who are better has become more of a challenge.
The difference will be that conte will not be as passive with levy as poch was, and that hopefully levy is now in a position to back him.
Conte has done more in three months than jose did in 18.

Almost all of the players look capable of doing their job and getting replacements in who are better has become more of a challenge.
The difference will be that conte will not be as passive with levy as poch was, and that hopefully levy is now in a position to back him.
Not sure passive is the right description but he will not sit here and say the team can’t be improved with who is available
And we do know how more what room to spend on higher quality players

Not sure we're quite back, but moving solidly in that direction at last is.

Passive with Levy is one thing and a factor.

Pochettino was also rather particular about the type of players he wanted and needed I think. Real high intensity running, pressing, all action, usually younger players. It became difficult to find players actually good enough that fit the criteria I think. Perhaps partly dictated by the other players in the squad at the time.

Conte too is particular about the players he wants I think. That's not a negative just to be clear. But I do think the player types he needs is less restricted. Makes it easier to find players that are good enough.

He's also working with what is hopefully a top class DoF in Paratici.

So should be easier. Hopefully.

Depends which which Poch team you are talking about. We are nowhere near the levels of the peak Poch team 2016 to 2018 but are probably better than the team of his last 12 months.

Conte is an elite coach doing a great job with the players at his disposal but we are not dominating games like we did 4/5 years ago. Our current midfield options simply do not allow us to. All the recent home wins have come courtesy of (mostly) solid defending and clinical breaks and counters. We still don't seem able to dominate possession and stifle even mid-table opposition. Norwich, Brentford and Palace (before the red card) all had plenty of the ball.

This is the next step for me and we can get there quickly if Conte is backed in the next 2 windows with the players he wants. Then we could really be back to peak Poch levels and hopefully even better.

Depends which which Poch team you are talking about. We are nowhere near the levels of the peak Poch team 2016 to 2018 but are probably better than the team of his last 12 months.

Conte is an elite coach doing a great job with the players at his disposal but we are not dominating games like we did 4/5 years ago. Our current midfield options simply do not allow us to. All the recent home wins have come courtesy of (mostly) solid defending and clinical breaks and counters. We still don't seem able to dominate possession and stifle even mid-table opposition. Norwich, Brentford and Palace (before the red card) all had plenty of the ball.

This is the next step for me and we can get there quickly if Conte is backed in the next 2 windows with the players he wants. Then we could really be back to peak Poch levels and hopefully even better.
Conte doesn’t play that game
His teams don’t need the ball to control the game
The teams you mentioned above are examples where he is happy for his team to let them have the ball. Norwich did create some chances (Brentford and palace didn’t have a shot on target IIRC).

his inter side averaged 52% possession and less than 50% at home

Long, long way to go before Conte has us where Poch had us. I’m delighted with him so far and the signs are encouraging. But he’s beaten 4 below average teams at home, drawn with the two Scouse clubs, beaten West Ham in the LC and lost to a dreadful Slovenian team. Long way to go.

Let’s see if he can improve our away form and then improve it against top sides before getting carried away with ourselves. If he can pick up wins at Watford and Southampton, it’ll give me a lot more hope.

Long, long way to go before Conte has us where Poch had us. I’m delighted with him so far and the signs are encouraging. But he’s beaten 4 below average teams at home, drawn with the two Scouse clubs, beaten West Ham in the LC and lost to a dreadful Slovenian team. Long way to go.

Let’s see if he can improve our away form and then improve it against top sides before getting carried away with ourselves. If he can pick up wins at Watford and Southampton, it’ll give me a lot more hope.

Results wise yes, but then he is just here, but in terms of the squad performance and upgrades then i think we are back to were we were.
Four months ago we would have been looking to upgrade all but three or four players, and would have had plenty of options.
Now our up lift has seriously limited who we would be looking at bringing in as an upgrade.

Four months ago we would have been looking to upgrade all but three or four players, and would have had plenty of options.
Now our up lift has seriously limited who we would be looking at bringing in as an upgrade

Are you still of this opinion?

I think we could upgrade nearly all of them. Obviously this won't happen but we need to get some in ASAP.

We only create good chances when we catch teams on the break. You need more than that to be a top team.

Last edited:
Are you still of this opinion?

I think we could upgrade neary all of them. Obviously this won't happen but we need to get some in ASAP.

We only create good chances when we catch teams on the break. You need more than that to be a top team.

One game, we were a little off today.
Son was awful, worst player on the pitch, but that happens, i wouldn't judge much on today.
Probably more to do with rotation as much as anything.

Hope he's had his meeting with paraticci. Now go and sort it. Loan some of our underperforming players to Saudi Sportswashing Machine for a nice fee. Go out and get in 2 or 3 upgrades. Yes jan is usually a pain in the arse window but there are so many players out of contract in the summer i think deals can be done. Kessie and alvarez (from river) possibilities.

Dissapointed with his attempts to try and change things today

Sticking with a back three against ten men with the wide cbs having limited ability on the ball as they do wasn’t great to watch. It felt like we guessed that we’d just eventually score if we carried on doing the same thing as there were some almost moments in the 1st half. Not to sound too critical of Conte as fatigue today and in general a lack of reliable + quality options to mix it up when plan A isn’t working didn’t help.

Sticking with a back three against ten men with the wide cbs having limited ability on the ball as they do wasn’t great to watch. It felt like we guessed that we’d just eventually score if we carried on doing the same thing as there were some almost moments in the 1st half. Not to sound too critical of Conte as fatigue today and in general a lack of reliable + quality options to mix it up when plan A isn’t working didn’t help.
Agreed
What was his option?
Lo Celso, Seasegnon and Bergwein injured… again
Play Tanguy in the middle which was the most congested part of the pitch… we always used to do that to no avail under Poch
What we needed was an alternative or an additional goal scorer for them to think about. We don’t have one :(

Hope he's had his meeting with paraticci. Now go and sort it. Loan some of our underperforming players to Saudi Sportswashing Machine for a nice fee. Go out and get in 2 or 3 upgrades. Yes jan is usually a pain in the arse window but there are so many players out of contract in the summer i think deals can be done. Kessie and alvarez (from river) possibilities.

Yes, and this is key. If we don't make some decent signings in Jan and the summer, Conte won't hang around

Conte has shown his ability. Time for Levy and Paratici to step up

Yes, and this is key. If we don't make some decent signings in Jan and the summer, Conte won't hang around

Conte has shown his ability. Time for Levy and Paratici to step up

Just need the government to hold their nerve with omicron. We go back to no fans at games i can't see levy going wild in the transfer market. Although to be fair he has spent the last 2 summers.

Agreed
What was his option?
Lo Celso, Seasegnon and Bergwein injured… again
Play Tanguy in the middle which was the most congested part of the pitch… we always used to do that to no avail under Poch
What we needed was an alternative or an additional goal scorer for them to think about. We don’t have one :(

I do think that if Gil had been given more minutes, we'd have seen more chances created

Back