• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

By “some had decided to settle for less” I assume he is referring to the players or the club…
Making it about him being great and everyone else failing

Oh ok. What a dingdong. Getting up there with AVB with ex managers that i hate.

the thing is he was backed heavily. He had a tough year no doubt but the club supported him, and he shîts on us.

Levy should have come out and said that he quit.

the thing is he was backed heavily. He had a tough year no doubt but the club supported him, and he shîts on us.

Think he was talking about the players.

There is no way Conte resigned. It was by mutual consent after the club approached him. Had the club not intervened Conte would have seen out the season.

Of course he was content walking away with the side 4th, knowing what a job it would be to rouse a side missing Bentancur to get them into the CL. It is always about image and ego for Conte.

"Having said that, I am also not spasmodically searching for a new job."

I think they've been pretty liberal with their translations. I don't think I've ever used "spasmodically" in my life.

Not a dig at his English level.

There is no way Conte resigned. It was by mutual consent after the club approached him. Had the club not intervened Conte would have seen out the season.

Of course he was content walking away with the side 4th, knowing what a job it would be to rouse a side missing Bentancur to get them into the CL. It is always about image and ego for Conte.

how do you know he didn’t resign? He just said he did.

how do you know he didn’t resign? He just said he did.

Because the club said look the players are not happy, you’re not happy, let’s call it quits, and Conte was happy to. But he’d have completed the season otherwise.

People suggesting Conte walked out and left us in the lurch with no manager are wide of the mark.

I really don’t understand the second part of his sentence.

What's hard? Some people gave less. Those are most probably, in some order -
  1. players,
  2. chairman and board,
  3. Antonio Conte.
Personally I think chairman and board are the ones he's referring to, which would fit with their M.O. Others disagree. I think we all agree that he wasn't referring to 3.

What's hard? Some people gave less. Those are most probably, in some order -
  1. players,
  2. chairman and board,
  3. Antonio Conte.
Personally I think chairman and board are the ones he's referring to, which would fit with their M.O. Others disagree. I think we all agree that he wasn't referring to 3.

Lol. Levy gets accused on here of sacking managers that don't get cl. Now he's the one that is settling for less than 4th?

Conte and Mourinho are giving away the same kind of vibes about the club. Everyone will believe what fits in with their own perspective (they weren't the most popular appointments to begin with).

Maybe we can all agree that the club itself, the chairman and/or the players are ill-suited to personalities like Conte's or Mourinho's and vice versa. I wouldn't say 'managers' because I think Mourinho's and Conte's philosophies have little in common but the bottom line is that we shouldn't go for strong, demanding disciplinarians in the near future. Hopefully.

Conte and Mourinho are giving away the same kind of vibes about the club. Everyone will believe what fits in with their own perspective (they weren't the most popular appointments to begin with).

Maybe we can all agree that the club itself, the chairman and/or the players are ill-suited to personalities like Conte's or Mourinho's and vice versa. I wouldn't say 'managers' because I think Mourinho's and Conte's philosophies have little in common but the bottom line is that we shouldn't go for strong, demanding disciplinarians in the near future. Hopefully.
100% we're not that club !!

Many like to say he was heavily backed, but just because we spent money doesn't mean we properly backed him unless they were the players he wanted.

Looking at the list of players we signed that summer, I seriously don't envisage Conte going to Levy at the start of the summer and saying they were the players he wanted. The only one we know he did was Perisic, but of those signings he didn't use them much other than Perisic and Lenglet a fair bit. Of course most managers have to compromise to some extent with their targets but if Conte felt he was heavily backed with players he wanted he would have used them more than he did.....

Many like to say he was heavily backed, but just because we spent money doesn't mean we properly backed him unless they were the players he wanted.

Looking at the list of players we signed that summer, I seriously don't envisage Conte going to Levy at the start of the summer and saying they were the players he wanted. The only one we know he did was Perisic, but of those signings he didn't use them much other than Perisic and Lenglet a fair bit. Of course most managers have to compromise to some extent with their targets but if Conte felt he was heavily backed with players he wanted he would have used them more than he did.....
Richarlison was our most expensive signing of the summer and he confirmed Conte contacted him to convince him to join:

“Antonio Conte called me during the negotiations and expressed how much he’d like to have me on board – that was vital for my decision.”

At least with this we can say it was someone he wanted. But he still ended up not using him much. Really think he could have done better with squad management.

Richarlison was our most expensive signing of the summer and he confirmed Conte contacted him to convince him to join:

“Antonio Conte called me during the negotiations and expressed how much he’d like to have me on board – that was vital for my decision.”

At least with this we can say it was someone he wanted. But he still ended up not using him much. Really think he could have done better with squad management.
Yeah. And the rest of the signings though? Conte had no problem playing players who suited his system, look at Bentancur and Kulu they were straight in the team and playing. The likes of Richarlison and Bissouma are decent players, agree his squad management should have been better. Especially his use of Son constantly over Richi....

Yeah. And the rest of the signings though? Conte had no problem playing players who suited his system, look at Bentancur and Kulu they were straight in the team and playing. The likes of Richarlison and Bissouma are decent players, agree his squad management should have been better. Especially his use of Son constantly over Richi....
Outside Spence (signing for the future) and Danjuma (6 month loan) who didn't he use that shows that he wasn't backed?
Bissouma has been injured and mostly disappointing when he has played.

Outside Spence (signing for the future) and Danjuma (6 month loan) who didn't he use that shows that he wasn't backed?
Bissouma has been injured and mostly disappointing when he has played.
It's not that he didn't use any of them, he didn't have a choice but to at times. Bissouma, Richi etc all got their minutes but none of them were regulars, more fillers at best. Players he genuinely liked when signed like Kulu and Bentancur he had no problem playing consistently.

Backing Conte properly would be statement signings. We apparently was looking at Bastoni and Pau Torres but end up with Lenglet - which one of those three you think Conte really wanted?

It's not that he didn't use any of them, he didn't have a choice but to at times. Bissouma, Richi etc all got their minutes but none of them were regulars, more fillers at best. Players he genuinely liked when signed like Kulu and Bentancur he had no problem playing consistently.

Backing Conte properly would be statement signings. We apparently was looking at Bastoni and Pau Torres but end up with Lenglet - which one of those three you think Conte really wanted?
He wanted Richi, Son was playing badly and he still didn't use him. When he did use him he played him instead of Kulu and not in his preferred position. He wanted him, he was backed with a 60m reserve player.
Bissouma was coming off a great couple of seasons with Brighton, I think most were delighted with that signing (I was), don't try to rewrite history because he had a bad season.

We couldn't get Bastoni or Torres. Bastoni made it clear he was staying with Inter. It doesn't mean the effort wasn't made to get them.
He wanted Perisic, the type of player we never go for, we got him, he was backed. He wanted Porro, he was backed.

Plenty of money was spent getting players that he wanted, personally I think the money was spent in the wrong areas. It was obvious that Lloris was in decline for a couple of years and a keeper was needed.
A proper keeper alone would've improved our season.

He wanted Richi, Son was playing badly and he still didn't use him. When he did use him he played him instead of Kulu and not in his preferred position. He wanted him, he was backed with a 60m reserve player.
Bissouma was coming off a great couple of seasons with Brighton, I think most were delighted with that signing (I was), don't try to rewrite history because he had a bad season.

We couldn't get Bastoni or Torres. Bastoni made it clear he was staying with Inter. It doesn't mean the effort wasn't made to get them.
He wanted Perisic, the type of player we never go for, we got him, he was backed. He wanted Porro, he was backed.

Plenty of money was spent getting players that he wanted, personally I think the money was spent in the wrong areas. It was obvious that Lloris was in decline for a couple of years and a keeper was needed.
A proper keeper alone would've improved our season.
Sorry mate, who's trying to rewrite history? I don't recall saying Bissouma or Richi were bad signings? Merely stated Conte didn't use them much, and indeed Bissouma was injured for a while.

I don't hold much weight in Conte calling Richi as evidence he really wanted him, managers calling players seems to be common practice these days - the evidence in how much he wanted him is how Conte used him, or rather didn't. He barely gave him a sniff and had plenty of opportunities to do so.

Also never said there was no effort to sign players Conte actually wanted? But backing a manager like Conte is doing whatever it takes to get the players he wants to work in his system. You know, like Rice likely going to Arsenal. Sure he might cost a bit more than market value but when you're dining at the big boys table in this country that's what you have to do at times. So no, I don't think Conte was backed properly - but that doesn't mean I don't think we have signed some good players. Just more highlights a Conte type manager won't work for us. And yes I agree that money could have been spent in different areas....

Conte had no problem saying Spence & Danjuma were club signings so i think we can deduce from that the others weren't, otherwise we'd have heard about it.

Back