• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

Not that hard to see the logic

- Club wants the no trophy monkey off their back
- Stadium was coming online, there would be more money to spend
- Jose got handicapped to start by Covid cutting the available money
- Both ultimately have proved the game has largely passed them by, and their tactics without a perfect team to follow are horrendous

I agree for the most part. It's difficult to say whether the game has passed them by or not because Mourinho is never going to enjoy the spending power he had at Real or Chelsea. I wouldn't be surprised if Conte won a couple of Serie A titles before he retires. The lifespan of a top manager is extremely short anyway. Klopp is going to pass a huge test next season. If he fails, at the end of the day, he will have peaked for a couple of seasons at Liverpool and that's about it.

It's impossible to get the level of success Levy expects with our budget. You can have a one-off season like Leicester or a couple of teams that beat PSG in Ligue 1 but for the most part, all you can do is wait for the big guns to fail and hope you punch your ticket when the chance presents itself. Again, I think either of them would have been worth a try when we had the best team in the country, six or seven years ago but we're too far off challenging for the title at the moment. Basically, Conte's comments proved right last season. Unfortunately, it turns out he's got neither the will or the ability to close that gap.

But, at the end of the day, when you compare Inter's squad with the rest of the title contenders in Italy, the gap wasn't as big as it is with us.
No one is blaming Conte for not beating the teams where the gap was big. They're blaming him for losing to Villa and Wolves and Sheffield and Leicester and Milan and Forest and doing so playing pathetic football. We did not expect him to win the title in his first full season, but we did expect better football, better performances (even if we lost), and to improve on the league position from last year. The latter particularly so, what with the team strengthening and Chelsea and Liverpool being so brick this year. If they were in their usual form, we'd be sitting 6th or 7th right now.

No one is blaming Conte for not beating the teams where the gap was big. They're blaming him for losing to Villa and Wolves and Sheffield and Leicester and Milan and Forest and doing so playing pathetic football. We did not expect him to win the title in his first full season, but we did expect better football, better performances (even if we lost), and to improve on the league position from last year. The latter particularly so, what with the team strengthening and Chelsea and Liverpool being so brick this year. If they were in their usual form, we'd be sitting 6th or 7th right now.
Well said. Also, Conte is just being Conte. If you read/listen to Italian football experts he is behaving in a totally predictable fashion. Add on missing his family, the three deaths of people close to him and his own personal health, it's the Classic Tottenham bad luck/cursed Scenario. I suggest we all expect much more chaos and confusion and being a laughing stock in the years ahead.

Okay then, we're stuck with him till June by the looks of things.

He has a decent run of 5 games now. Winnable, if we perform. I think we can see what is going to happen now.

We somehow gets ourselves 3 wins and 2 draws, mainly because of the opposition, not because we are back in form, to put us in a good position on the heels on United in 3rd.
Then we have that tough 8 days Newcastel(a),United (h) and Liverpool(a). The players spout how they know what they need to do, then promptly sh#t the bed and lose all 3 when it really matters.
We manage a home win and a 3 draws in the last four and somehow secure a place in the Europa Conference

Well said. Also, Conte is just being Conte. If you read/listen to Italian football experts he is behaving in a totally predictable fashion. Add on missing his family, the three deaths of people close to him and his own personal health, it's the Classic Tottenham bad luck/cursed Scenario. I suggest we all expect much more chaos and confusion and being a laughing stock in the years ahead.
I hope not. And I would expect not. If anything, I expect the Conte and Mourinho experiments will serve as a lesson well learned when we appoint our next managers and decide the future direction of the club. We thought we had arrived and were just missing the final stretch manager, but this has shown us that we still have a way to go. And I'm sure Levy et al see this much more clearly now.

this is a nice watch

plenty of examples of Son involved in the build up, our half, facing his own goal

his issues are not down to the system imo

did you actually watch the video that you posted? Because there is actually zero examples of that, I thought by you conviction I would actually find a few, but there was none.

I know you a Conte fan, but there is no need to make shît up, is there?

What video did you watch? no idea what you and @LemonadeMoney are talking about

I just looked at the first 35 goals in that video, not a single one of the first 35 were Son with his back completely to goal (with a defender on him) which is how he's been asked to play this season and was how he received the ball multiple times again Milan. 30 were Son facing the opposition goal, typically already running, 5 were questionable, him a little sideways, more shaping his body and typically he was in open space .. couldn't be arsed to watch the rest, it's very clear the main years of their partnership have nothing to do with Son receiving a ball with his back to goal (and it doesn't work because his first touch is often a bit brick, something you get away with when you knock it down in front of you in the direction you are running)

It is the tactics, along with probably some fatigue and a lack of confidence that bricky tactics fudging with your natural playstyle brings ..

posted my replies to him before I saw this. I’m glad I’m not going mad, I actually watched whole video and there was not one occurrence.

I hope not. And I would expect not. If anything, I expect the Conte and Mourinho experiments will serve as a lesson well learned when we appoint our next managers and decide the future direction of the club. We thought we had arrived and were just missing the final stretch manager, but this has shown us that we still have a way to go. And I'm sure Levy et al see this much more clearly now.
We are all entitled to our expectations (I have learned over the past fews months of 'life' that lowered expectations lead to less disappointment), but based on the track record of how this club is run - and the fact that Levy hasn't FULLY backed Conte (for example, Lenglet instead of Gvardiol, Djed 'club signing' Spence), I don't hold out hope he's learned his lesson. Then, if he has, I can be pleasantly surprised.

We are all entitled to our expectations (I have learned over the past fews months of 'life' that lowered expectations lead to less disappointment), but based on the track record of how this club is run - and the fact that Levy hasn't FULLY backed Conte (for example, Lenglet instead of Gvardiol, Djed 'club signing' Spence), I don't hold out hope he's learned his lesson. Then, if he has, I can be pleasantly surprised.

Chelsea failed to get gvardiol as did city. Spose pep and potter haven't been backed either?

did you actually watch the video that you posted? Because there is actually zero examples of that, I thought by you conviction I would actually find a few, but there was none.

I know you a Conte fan, but there is no need to make shît up, is there?

it cuts the goals to the final touches but as a memory prompt it highlights that Son was capable of contributing in the build up previously

Fatigue surely with Son. When's the last time he had a actual break from football or being the most popular person in a nation?

After a few games this season we could have rested him and it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. Between Kulu, Son Gil and Richy was enough bodies to keep everyone fresh, play the personnel high on confidence and rest those not performing.

You would think wouldn't you? Maybe it's not that easy. Cos apparently everyone else trains like a traffic cone

I hope not. And I would expect not. If anything, I expect the Conte and Mourinho experiments will serve as a lesson well learned when we appoint our next managers and decide the future direction of the club. We thought we had arrived and were just missing the final stretch manager, but this has shown us that we still have a way to go. And I'm sure Levy et al see this much more clearly now.[/QUOTE]

Hhhmmm I'm not so sure

We spent around £200m in Conte’s first two windows (if you include the £20m final fee for Kulu) - do you not consider that fully backing him, within the bounds of what we can realistically afford? (Not to mention Porro this window too). Yes Conte didn’t get a top CB, but we’re not an owner-funded club who can splash big money on every position of need in a single season.

Fully backing Conte means getting ready-made players and spending beyond our means. So, if you are Conte coming to Spurs, you have to compensate by developing some players, so the club has the money to splash in the areas of the highest need. How many players did he actually develop? How many did he improve? If anything, he took a bunch of players backward. I wonder what Conte promised Levy in that interview, because I'm pretty sure that if his pitch was "I need a 50+ million 26-28 year old player in every position" Levy would have shown him the door pronto. On the other hand, if he promised Levy a balance of developing and spending, then I probably would blame Levy for falling for it. I guess we'll never know, but the fact is that he was the wrong manager at the time and I do believe the club is now realizing this and will make a better appointment next time around.

Losing to mediocre teams is an unfortunate but unavoidable consequence of battling on many fronts with a squad like ours - a decent one overall, a strong one in some positions but ultimately a very unbalanced one. Plus, he's been unlucky with injuries. To his credit, he knows people aren't happy with the results/performances. I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that the football is abject but, then again, that was to be expected with a manager like Conte. He's hardly Cruyff MkII, after all.

I can't say for sure but I'm afraid realising we will never win the league had a negative impact on his morale. It's all academic anyway. The bottom line is, he won't do much better than his predecessors (4th is par for the course) so there's no point in extended his stay. He's not happy, the fans aren't happy... what's the point? If we're going to battle for 4th, we might as well do it with someone whose team offers a modicum of entertainment.

it cuts the goals to the final touches but as a memory prompt it highlights that Son was capable of contributing in the build up previously

what the hell are you talking about? That is Gutterboy and Scara levels of doubling down on bullShît.

It’s ok to be wrong. Just don’t be a douche and try to double down with nonsense

Fully backing Conte means getting ready-made players and spending beyond our means. So, if you are Conte coming to Spurs, you have to compensate by developing some players, so the club has the money to splash in the areas of the highest need. How many players did he actually develop? How many did he improve? If anything, he took a bunch of players backward. I wonder what Conte promised Levy in that interview, because I'm pretty sure that if his pitch was "I need a 50+ million 26-28 year old player in every position" Levy would have shown him the door pronto. On the other hand, if he promised Levy a balance of developing and spending, then I probably would blame Levy for falling for it. I guess we'll never know, but the fact is that he was the wrong manager at the time and I do believe the club is now realizing this and will make a better appointment next time around.
Conte doesn't do that. The Extra Inch podcast did two interviews with Nima Tavallaey who said exactly this. And that Conte is a certified lunatic who will NEVER change his ways, so whatever he said to Levy (if it was not this) should be discounted due to his lunatic, never bend, personality.

Back