• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

fudge me some of the posts in this thread over the last 24hrs…questioning if Conte is a top manager and all the “he should have done this, that or the fudging other”

And we wonder how we get our reputation [emoji2357]

He's not just a top manager, he's an elite manager. Klopp made loads of mistakes at the Dippers early on, Pep struggled in his first season despite having close to unlimited funds. Conte is human and will make mistakes but, fudge me, I'm delighted we have him and wouldn't swap him for anyone.

Yesterday was very disappointing. I said to the lad next to me at half time "we're struggling badly here but I've no idea what he should do". In hindsight, I'd have put more men in midfield and sacrificed a defender. That said, I felt very comfortable until around the 80th minute that we were defensively very sound and solid. The brick thing for football managers is that all of us amateur tactical gurus can tell them what they should have done without ever having our theories/tactical suggestions tested.

He's not just a top manager, he's an elite manager. Klopp made loads of mistakes at the Dippers early on, Pep struggled in his first season despite having close to unlimited funds. Conte is human and will make mistakes but, fudge me, I'm delighted we have him and wouldn't swap him for anyone.

Yesterday was very disappointing. I said to the lad next to me at half time "we're struggling badly here but I've no idea what he should do". In hindsight, I'd have put more men in midfield and sacrificed a defender. That said, I felt very comfortable until around the 80th minute that we were defensively very sound and solid. The brick thing for football managers is that all of us amateur tactical gurus can tell them what they should have done without ever having our theories/tactical suggestions tested.
Who would you have put in midfield?
We don’t have the option currently IMO which does hinder him

Who would you have put in midfield?
We don’t have the option currently IMO which does hinder him

It’s a fair question. Winks. Ineffective to an extent but it would be an extra body. Or drop Kane in there and put Stevie up top.

None ideal, I’ll grant you.

It’s why eriksen makes so much sense as a signing
That option to go 3-5-2 and with a player who also scored goals is huge
Sort the wing backs out and suddenly it’s a BIG improvement

Would agree 100%. His creativity is what we needed in there yesterday I thought. Someone else voiced a concern that bringing Eriksen back might see us lumbered with the same shadow of a player we had for his final 6 months. I really don’t see that happening. There were some very unique circumstances around that. Just wish we’d been the ones to take a punt on him in January.

Would agree 100%. His creativity is what we needed in there yesterday I thought. Someone else voiced a concern that bringing Eriksen back might see us lumbered with the same shadow of a player we had for his final 6 months. I really don’t see that happening. There were some very unique circumstances around that. Just wish we’d been the ones to take a punt on him in January.
The manager/coach makes a difference

It’s why eriksen makes so much sense as a signing
That option to go 3-5-2 and with a player who also scored goals is huge
Sort the wing backs out and suddenly it’s a BIG improvement

I believe it's reported that Conte wants a number 10 so kane can stay further forward. Will eriksen want guaranteed gametime with the world cup coming up though?

I believe it's reported that Conte wants a number 10 so kane can stay further forward. Will eriksen want guaranteed gametime with the world cup coming up though?
I Was told we were getting eriksen by a Brentford guy I know when they signed him.
He will get plenty of game time here

I'd love an on-form Eriksen but isn't there a new, younger, shinier version we could bring in?

How did Conte line up Inter with Eriksen in the XI?

Not sure how a no.10 fits in with our front 3 - would mean you need to play a back 4?

What I don't get is why we don't try to sub out Reguilon and Emerson for actual wingers in games like this one, where both are absolute sh*te.

Sub Reguilon for Bergwijn, Emerson for Lucas, and have a go at them while one of Hojbjerg + Bentancur sits deeper next to Dier and the two wide CBs go wider to make up for it.

It's not like he hasn't used wingers as full-backs before - he turned Victor Moses from a crap winger into a wonderful wing-back for one season, and did the same with Perisic at Inter.

Bit strange that he's not even attempted it once at Spurs, honestly. We could have used an out-of-the-box solution like that today, where the team just didn't try at all.
This game was not the game for that. Everyone could see within 30 seconds that we weren't up for it. Conte saw that too, and 30 minutes into the 2nd half, we still had not mustered a shot on goal. At this point I think Conte was OK with one point, as he said in the post match interview. If we had been pressing them back, looked hungry, but not really managing to create, I would try what you said. But when the whole team is as lacklustre as it was, there's no point.

He becomes one of the front 3, behind Kane/Son. Kulu at wingback.

Not sure about Kulu at RWB. I know Conte has name-checked him previously for the position but he doesn't look like he'd suit it from what i have seen of him.

How was Hakimi used by him?

Eriksen could be left forward instead of Son too, or just an additional threat in games where we are facing a sitting opponent, where our shape doesn't need to be uniform, or allows for a free roam.

Back