• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

Eriksen could be left forward instead of Son too, or just an additional threat in games where we are facing a sitting opponent, where our shape doesn't need to be uniform, or allows for a free roam.

‘Arry left a while ago, you might want to look in to this Conte fella’s style, it’s not quite the “get out there and run around” approach ;)

fudge me some of the posts in this thread over the last 24hrs…questioning if Conte is a top manager and all the “he should have done this, that or the fudging other”

And we wonder how we get our reputation [emoji2357]

The winner, well said.

fudge me some of the posts in this thread over the last 24hrs…questioning if Conte is a top manager and all the “he should have done this, that or the fudging other”

And we wonder how we get our reputation [emoji2357]

I think its reasonable to discuss options but the truth is, we have no idea why we were so flat yesterday beyond the fact Brighton made life uncomfortable for us. Personally, I think Conte not being able to train with the squad properly all week had a big impact. I felt his subs were odd if chasing the game, but then post-match he said he would've been happy with a point (as would I after 70 mins). Truth is, if Reggie did his job at their end, we'd have escaped with three points most likely. The margins are fine.

The winner, well said.

I think the bit that gets me to much of the reaction is the amount of angry digging out of players/things/events when we simply had a bad day at the office. I hoped we'd try a few different things, but we went for steady and got unlucky. It happens. I think Conte has us punching above ur weight, and if we hold onto 4th, it will be a massive achievement. I think we will FWIW.

I think its reasonable to discuss options but the truth is, we have no idea why we were so flat yesterday beyond the fact Brighton made life uncomfortable for us. Personally, I think Conte not being able to train with the squad properly all week had a big impact. I felt his subs were odd if chasing the game, but then post-match he said he would've been happy with a point (as would I after 70 mins). Truth is, if Reggie did his job at their end, we'd have escaped with three points most likely. The margins are fine.
IMO…
12.30 kick offs are toxic and rooster up most clubs plans, so these games invariably come down to who makes the mistakes (people will argue but need to look at the history of these stupid kick off times - they are never good games)
And Brighton stifled the room in midfield which meant we needed an out ball but Kane didn’t play well. No Kane, no Tottenham currently. Its why we need better wide players, where their role is vital to the system and also another option up front who can take the target role sometimes

IMO…
12.30 kick offs are toxic and rooster up most clubs plans, so these games invariably come down to who makes the mistakes (people will argue but need to look at the history of these stupid kick off times - they are never good games)
And Brighton stifled the room in midfield which meant we needed an out ball but Kane didn’t play well. No Kane, no Tottenham currently. Its why we need better wide players, where their role is vital to the system and also another option up front who can take the target role sometimes

Agree with all that too mate.

One thing I have to say re:Bergwijn is that he consistently finds predatory space in and around the box - like a striker. But yes, our biggest issue was Brighton stifling the midfield. We needed someone to drop deep from the 3 and try to drag them around.

What I don't get is why we don't try to sub out Reguilon and Emerson for actual wingers in games like this one, where both are absolute sh*te.

Sub Reguilon for Bergwijn, Emerson for Lucas, and have a go at them while one of Hojbjerg + Bentancur sits deeper next to Dier and the two wide CBs go wider to make up for it.

It's not like he hasn't used wingers as full-backs before - he turned Victor Moses from a crap winger into a wonderful wing-back for one season, and did the same with Perisic at Inter.

Bit strange that he's not even attempted it once at Spurs, honestly. We could have used an out-of-the-box solution like that today, where the team just didn't try at all.

He has used Gil and IIRC Son as wing backs, but very much later in games, last 10 minutes.

If we were going to try that now, and earlier in games (60 minute sub for example) I would guess Kulusevski and Bergwijn would be the options. Hasn't been much need for that lately mind, with Doherty playing well and us winning games.

For Brighton Kulusevski was already on a yellow and didn't have his best game. Him at wing back at 0-0 would have been a huge gamble.

Not quite sure why Bergwijn isn't seen as a good option for that sub wing back role. Even as a sub he's never been put there iirc.

I don't think Lucas is well suited to that role. Perhaps if a team is only sitting back, but if the wing back needs to progress the ball in part through combination play and passing deeper (like against Brighton) he's not the answer for me.

Not quite sure why Bergwijn isn't seen as a good option for that sub wing back role. Even as a sub he's never been put there iirc..

Possibly because with him being right footed playing him on the right negates the now classic cutting iin from left that suits his game. I imagine his crossing is probably decent but he's never shown that he's adept at cutting in from the right and getting shots off. He doesnt really use his left so I imagine that's a major reason.

Moving him to the right negates the strong attributes he has. Moses as a comparison was always a right winger so played on that side anyway likewise Persic has largely played on the right although has played both sides.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Possibly because with him being right footed playing him on the right negates the now classic cutting iin from left that suits his game. I imagine his crossing is probably decent but he's never shown that he's adept at cutting in from the right and getting shots off. He doesnt really use his left so I imagine that's a major reason.

Moving him to the right negates the strong attributes he has. Moses as a comparison was always a right winger so played on that side anyway likewise Persic has largely played on the right although has played both sides.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Yeah, probably seen as more of a final third type player. Will be interesting to see if him or others are tried in that RWB role at some point in the near future if we end up in a similar situation again.

if Conte stays ... and I'm doubting that now... I think he will need to rebuild the team starting with centrebacks that understand they are critical to supporting attacks.

had no idea how to change that today

two whole matches now where he's stuck out something that clearly wouldn't work

Back