• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

I agree.

Lennon was still one of our best and caused problems against Crystal Palace, sure Townsend was great against Tibilsi but Lennon hasn't really done anything to get dropped. Townsend has just given AVB a headache on who to pick. I think starting him agaisnt Arsenal though could be a real good idea, really does give them something different to think about.

Definitely. Playing Lennon against Swansea gives him a chance to shake off the injury he is carrying and with Townsend on the bench it gives him the nod that he is still in the mix. Townsend then if he is told he is playing against Arsenal will be absolutely buzzing and will be keen to impress in his first senior NLD and give them something to really think about as a slightly unknown quantity and one that Wenger probably wouldn't expect AVB to start.

I think equally, it's dangerous to write Lennon off. He is a great player, has been really effective for us in the past and always needs a few games under his belt to really get roaring...

Of course it would be foolhardy to write Lennon off. People forget he did a lot of good stuff for us last season

I think equally, it's dangerous to write Lennon off. He is a great player, has been really effective for us in the past and always needs a few games under his belt to really get roaring...

I agree. Lennon is a hell of a lot more than a one trick pony but familiarity breeds contempt.

I've been thinking recently if we compiled a video of Townsends highlights and compared them next to Lamela, would you say Lamela is worth £30m and Townsend £7m?

I think he's a real talent

Btw I love Lennon, some of the slating he's had sing Sunday is a joke

When did AVB say this as an absolute truth?

Could be playing favourites, or there could be... you know... tactical reasons and stuff. The kind of things managers occasionally think of before making a team selection.

Townsend made the exact right comment, posted above.

I hope to see Townsend start again, he excites me when on the pitch and he seems to be in form. I won't be outraged at AVB if it doesn't happen, I will assume he has his well thought out reasons.

So when Rednapp continued to play favourites, it was ok because it was "tactical". Bullsh1t. When you have just played a stonker and still don't get in, then you have every right to be miffed. Especially when your direct competition has been less than average, both in pre-season and against CP.

Lennon should be on the bench against Swansea and used as an impact sub until he deserves to reclaim his place.

Plenty of football for both Townsend and Lennon -- I'd like to see Townsend start the next game just to give Lennon a nudge and let him know that if he wants to play, he'll have to play well.

Lennon should be on the bench against Swansea and used as an impact sub until he deserves to reclaim his place.

why?

Lennon played very well in our only Premier League game and got an assist, did well defensively and caused problems for the oppositions left back. Townsend played very well in a Europa League qualifier against nobody Georgians, scored a goal and assisted two. If anything, Townsend DESERVES to be on the bench now (I believe he wasnt against CP) and deserves to come off the bench to see what he can do until he DESERVES a start in a Prem game.

So when Rednapp continued to play favourites, it was ok because it was "tactical". Bullsh1t. When you have just played a stonker and still don't get in, then you have every right to be miffed. Especially when your direct competition has been less than average, both in pre-season and against CP.

To me at least there's a difference between "continuing to play favourites" and a single game. Obviously if someone is left out for long stretches, say months, it's not likely that it's because of a tactical consideration. Thus your Redknapp comparison makes no sense to me.

There's also a difference between a player being miffed about being left out and what you said in the post I replied to. Players in general shouldn't be happy not to play and I haven't said that Townsend doesn't have a right to feel that way.

been calling this guy out for ages now so its no surprise to see him perform like he did

But did you predict that he would improve his decision making, passing and awareness so quickly? he's always had pace and he's always been able to sling a ball across, it was the other stuff (and attitude) which held him back. Looks to me like both him and Rose really really want it...great to see, and let's hope they're consistent and thus prove me rather wrong!!!

Im amazed people are saying that Lennon had a good game against Palace. Yes he was involved in the Penalty but looking at it in unfair way if it had not hit his arm I don't think it was going to make it to our man. He is very very predictable now and its only his pace ( I know that's a good asset ) that gets him into decent positions. he wasted a load of chances to get a decent cross in on Sunday. He always does his trick where he stand the player up, slows him down then knocks it to his right and runs off after it. And when he does get around the player he cuts it back to know one.

Townsend has shown that he has that same pace, but unlike Lennon he is two footed, he also has a good shot on him. He pass awareness needs to go up but that only comes with games.

Just take a step back and think where Bale was not so long ago. Could not get in our team. Then got in and started to get some games. That is what Townsend needs now. He should start Sunday in place of Lennon. Him and Chadli have goals in them, Lennon does not and we cannot rely on Soldado to get them all.

What a great find Townsend is...he seemed to be on the same level as Livermore..but has really developed.

Hes a must for Spurs.....................................................

It's tough for AVB but I hope he's strong enough to drop Lennon and start Townsend on Sunday. Lennon's obviously been a great pro and worked hard and done everything AVB's asked him to do but Townsend will start to soon enough get ****ed if he gets no time as first choice when he deserves it.

Andros Townsend put in a Bale-esque performance on the flanks, scoring a fine solo goal and setting up two more to put Spurs in charge of the tie ahead of Thursday's second leg.

"Andros has been working well in training, so we felt it was time to give him an opportunity and he did very well," Villas-Boas said.

"If we have the type of performance we had to today (from him) we can always count him.

"For all the young players we are bringing through the competition they face is extremely difficult and in my opinion, when you overcome that type of opposition you can only become a top player.

"He is doing it the right way he seems very focused after last year's experience."

Townsend was outstanding last night but it's not as though he's never played anything like that for us before. In fact, last night's was in many ways a replica of the dazzing performance he produced against Charlton in the FA Cup 3rd Round January 2011. In that game he constantly scythed through the Charlton defence like he was Ronaldo and also scored a wonder goal, but certain sages haughtily dismissed it because of the level of the opposition who were in League 1 at the time.

Townsend was outstanding last night but it's not as though he's never played anything like that for us before. In fact, last night's was in many ways a replica of the dazzing performance he produced against Charlton in the FA Cup 3rd Round January 2011. In that game he constantly scythed through the Charlton defence like he was Ronaldo and also scored a wonder goal, but certain sages haughtily dismissed it because of the level of the opposition who were in League 1 at the time.

Our managers certainly cannot know more than we do eh?

Look, delighted for the lad that he had a blinder, and yes, delighted he cut Charlton apart, but let's see what happens next...he has given AVB a wonderful puzzler to work out and probably played himself into the squad for the forseeable future, but let's not heap absurd amounts of pressure on the bloke shall we? At the risk of being one your 'sages' i would suggest that doing it against Charlton and Tiblisi has earned him the right to see if he can do it week in week out in the toughest league in the world whilst playing with some fantastic players. Here's to hoping he can!

why?

Lennon played very well in our only Premier League game and got an assist, did well defensively and caused problems for the oppositions left back. Townsend played very well in a Europa League qualifier against nobody Georgians, scored a goal and assisted two. If anything, Townsend DESERVES to be on the bench now (I believe he wasnt against CP) and deserves to come off the bench to see what he can do until he DESERVES a start in a Prem game.
+1. Bang on for me

Has to be a starter.

Lennon does nothing, hides away behind the full back, cant shoot & cant cross.

I have been saying for years that we have suffered playing with Lennon as it is like playing with ten men.

Townsend has done more yesterday than Lennon did last season.

Look at Townsend goals, he takes it, runs, and scores. At this level, thats what attacking players have to do. Like Bale, like Ronaldo, take it and stick it in the net. Not hide away and pass it back to the full back when you receive the ball.

To me at least there's a difference between "continuing to play favourites" and a single game. Obviously if someone is left out for long stretches, say months, it's not likely that it's because of a tactical consideration. Thus your Redknapp comparison makes no sense to me.

There's also a difference between a player being miffed about being left out and what you said in the post I replied to. Players in general shouldn't be happy not to play and I haven't said that Townsend doesn't have a right to feel that way.

Look, I am not as misguided as thinking Townsend is the next Bale. However, I do strongly feel that he deserves his chance for a run in the team. Lennon has flattered to deceive on too many occasions. Time to assess an alternative.

How long has it been (if ever) since Lennon influenced a game like Townsend did yesterday?

Last edited:
Look, I am not as misguided as thinking Townsend is the next Bale. However, I do strongly feel that he deserves his chance for a run in the team. Lennon has flattered to deceive on too many occasions. Time to assess an alternative.

The easiest bet in world football, Lennon will play tomorrow, and hide behind the full back all game. Then he`ll play again, and again, and finally he`ll get an assist or a goal after 15 games and we`ll have a new thread on the forum... LENNON IS BACK THREAD or something.....

It has been like this for years. NO END PRODUCT. Lets wins some games and play good players.

Back