• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Was a great performance from andros tonight, really offered a threat going forward and great link up play with Naughts. Walker/Lennon be ware both made a great case for starting on Sunday.

We have to keep hold of Andros- really think after last year at QPR he could have a bale like effect on the team- mite not have the long shot on him like bale, but he's quick and can cross. Doesn't always make the best decision but can see him getting a truckload of assists and goals for us this season!

It's the directness that we will be missing without Bale. Townsend was prepared to pick up the ball and run at the opposition, Gilfi/Chadli keep coming back inside trying to retain possession. Soldado wont score 20 goals this year unless we put the ball in the box

I know its the Andros thread, but re:Naughton tonight, thats the difference when the lad gets to play in his more natural position. Was harsh to judge him on his LB appearances as I dont think its his best position.

Back to AT...MOTM for me tonight. Well done that man

Good point about Naughton. He was AT's wingman when he lost the ball in the second half.

Walker said he and Lennon have a good relationship..looks like those K2 and AT have one, too.

Don't mean to be difficult but i have been on this board close to 10 years and judged by all those youths I have rated in that time I would put Townsend close to the top. Of course this is me speaking as the former resident video maker who has viewed countless footage of wannabes.

After that performance, AVB simply has to pick him against Swansea. You can't do much more to claim a place than a MoM performance , a superb solo goal and strike, two unselfish assists with balls played in just the right place. If the manager does anything else it will be hugely demotivating for Andros, and if I were him, at that point, I would want out.

After that performance, AVB simply has to pick him against Swansea. You can't do much more to claim a place than a MoM performance , a superb solo goal and strike, two unselfish assists with balls played in just the right place. If the manager does anything else it will be hugely demotivating for Andros, and if I were him, at that point, I would want out.

True. Would be immensely unfair not to get a run out on sunday after that type of performance.

ibpX0I0pMqPjGE.gif

I'll argue against that for the purposes of discussion.

Competition is good, we need players competing over a number of games, not just basing decisions on a single game. Lennon should still be ahead in the pecking order.

That said, with all the rumoured high-profile purchases, Lennon's place seems under challenge. Keeping Townsend might make more sense than keeping Lennon, much as it pains me to say so.

The thing i have noticed with townsend is that he mixes up his game very well.

Although tricky and skillful, he is still willing to pass/deliver the ball to his team mates. He is also happy going on the outside or cutting inside and this makes things really tough for a full back. His shooting appears well above average, and his ball control and technical ability is also very good.

In all these areas, dare i say it, but i think he is better than Lennon. Lennon is mega reliable defensively though.

Lennon still only 26....so we could command a good fee for him (only sell if other wide players come in)

Myself and Najia Spurs called it that he would take his chance.

Has to start on sunday....Travesty if its not him and Chadli.......Lennon needs to wake up imo and fast.

Competition is good, we need players competing over a number of games, not just basing decisions on a single game. Lennon should still be ahead in the pecking order.

That said, with all the rumoured high-profile purchases, Lennon's place seems under challenge. Keeping Townsend might make more sense than keeping Lennon, much as it pains me to say so.

AVB will keep both of them. It will be good to know that unlike last season when Lennon is not available we will not shoe horne a central midfielder onto the right.

I also think people should very importantly not just see Andros as a right winger. While he is good with his right foot he is better with his left so he could always play on the left wing. He has shown he can cross the ball so why not play him on the left flank and have him burn right full backs, hit the byline and cross the ball? Andros gives us options because he can play down both flanks, he gives us options.

Myself and Najia Spurs called it that he would take his chance.

Has to start on sunday....Travesty if its not him and Chadli.......Lennon needs to wake up imo and fast.

Indeed we did.

People forget he has been at Spurs since he was nine years old, I am so chuffed for the lad, he is really one of our own.

I am not for one moment saying he has to play every week but he has to remain an integral part of our first team squad.

Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas showered praise on Andros Townsend after the winger turned in an impressive display in the 5-0 victory Europa League play-off defeat of Dinamo Tbilisi.

The Spurs players had a chance to shine in Gareth Bale's absence and Townsend grabbed the opportunity with both hands.

The England Under-21 international put Tottenham ahead when he raced pierced the Dinamo defence with a 50-yard run which ended with him calmly slotting the ball past goalkeeper Giorhi Loria.

He also supplied an assist for Roberto Soldado, who scored two goals, and for Paulinho's maiden goal for the club.

Townsend excelled on loan at QPR last season, scoring twice in 12 impressive appearances, but he was brought back down to earth this summer when he was banned for four months - three of which were suspended - after breaking betting rules.

Villas-Boas is delighted with how the 22-year-old has responded, however.

"Andros has been working well in training, so we felt it was time to give him an opportunity and he did very well," the Tottenham manager said.

"If we have the type of performance we had to today (from him) we can always count him.

"For all the young players we are bringing through the competition they face is extremely difficult and in my opinion, when you overcome that type of opposition you can only become a top player.

"He is doing it the right way. He seems very focused after last year's experience."

Tottenham took the sting out of the hostile atmosphere inside the Dinamo Arena with Townsend's early goal, and from then on it was plain sailing.

Paulinho headed home the winger's cross to make it 2-0 before Soldado's double, and Danny Rose's first Tottenham goal in more than three years, sealed the comprehensive win.

"We had some very good moments and the thing that was the difference was scoring from the chances we had," Villas-Boas added.

"The killer instinct was there from the chances we had and that didn't happen in Dinamo's case.

"That is why, in the end the result is as expressive as it is."

Summer signing Nacer Chadli also impressed when he came on as a second half substitute while Hugo Lloris impressed again with a number of top-drawer saves.

The win means Tottenham are now huge favourites to qualify for the group stages - but Villas-Boas has warned against complacency ahead of next week's second leg at White Hart Lane.

"We want to ensure qualification and in the second leg anything can happen," he said.

"We are expected to win at home after this result away from home but we won't play with fire.

"We will be strong and want to ensure we are in the group stages."

I am not for one moment saying he has to play every week but he has to remain an integral part of our first team squad.

isn't he the same sort of age Bale was when he played against Peterborough (fa cup) and from there never looked back?????

Football is often about momentum.....riding the crest of a wave.......im not saying he could get to Bale's level but he could be one hell of an exciting player for us.

We were good against Palace but because they played so deep....we struggled to break them down....Lennon seems to have lost confidence in taking the full back on...I love the guys directness and how he makes things happen....of course sometimes he will frustrate but if he keeps improving its looking very promising.

He has more than earned the right to play on Sunday....lets hope for a similar performance where he doesn't look back and make a good case of nailing down a first team jersey.

isn't he the same sort of age Bale was when he played against Peterborough (fa cup) and from there never looked back?????

Football is often about momentum.....riding the crest of a wave.......im not saying he could get to Bale's level but he could be one hell of an exciting player for us.

We were good against Palace but because they played so deep....we struggled to break them down....Lennon seems to have lost confidence in taking the full back on...I love the guys directness and how he makes things happen....of course sometimes he will frustrate but if he keeps improving its looking very promising.

He has more than earned the right to play on Sunday....lets hope for a similar performance where he doesn't look back and make a good case of nailing down a first team jersey.

Tottenham legend Gary Lineker ‏(@GaryLineker) reckons Townsend could challenge Aaron Lennon: “I wonder how long it will be before Andros Townsend usurps Aaron Lennon from the first-choice starting line-up? Not long I suspect. Runs like Lennon, beats people like Lennon, has a final delivery nothing like Lennon #Townsend”

Back