• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Only reason I came on here today was to see what the reaction to AT's performance was. For me, it was another of his frustrating performances - get ball, run a bit then shoot irrespective of how far out you are or what the angle is or where your teammates are. When Townsend gets the ball the rest of the team might as welll jog back to the half way line to be in position for the goal-kick which is comign up

He's quick, can dribble and can use both feet however needs to learn that he's not Gareth Bale and develop some awareness or where others are and when not to shoot

Only reason I came on here today was to see what the reaction to AT's performance was. For me, it was another of his frustrating performances - get ball, run a bit then shoot irrespective of how far out you are or what the angle is or where your teammates are. When Townsend gets the ball the rest of the team might as welll jog back to the half way line to be in position for the goal-kick which is comign up

Perfect description!

He's quick, can dribble and can use both feet however needs to learn that he's not Gareth Bale and develop some awareness or where others are and when not to shoot

ie - Never.

Watching Townsend play is like watching that kid you used to play with at school, who shoots on sight of goal every single time he sees the goal seemingly irrespective of where he is on the pitch!! And then that famillar turn away in disgust when he trots off to collect the ball which has inevitably landed 50 yards behind goal.

His decision making is atrocious. He has some raw abilities (is quick, although not as lightning as people make out, and does look to try and be a threat) but he must have one of the lowest footballing IQs I have ever seen. Really unsure as to whether this will change... I suppose he needs games and games and GAMES. But we can't really afford to have his no end product game given the level we compete at!!

I love Aaron Lennon, but in a different way he was just as ineffective as Townsend last night :(. But I'd rather have Lennon - at least he didn't give it away every single attack and worked hard (and inteligently) for the team.

Townsend has shown that he seems to have absolutely no football brain whatsoever. Lennon on the other hand has shown that he does. It's an easy choice for me. Lennon was inneffective last night and largely he has been over the last few years, but his interplay and linking up with his team mates, even when he's playing badly sh*ts all over Townsend.

What you lot seem to be overlooking is that whilst AT was driving us all mad with his woeful passing and diabolical shooting, until Mason and Kane came on he was also the only one putting Forest under any sort of pressure. It seems to have escaped your notice that in between shooting from the halfway line he did also manage a fair few half-decent crosses. Hardly his fault the likes of Soldado and Invisiblinho were never to be seen anywhere near the six-yard box.

What you lot seem to be overlooking is that whilst AT was driving us all mad with his woeful passing and diabolical shooting, until Mason and Kane came on he was also the only one putting Forest under any sort of pressure. It seems to have escaped your notice that in between shooting from the halfway line he did also manage a fair few half-decent crosses. Hardly his fault the likes of Soldado and Invisiblinho were never to be seen anywhere near the six-yard box.

A good cross involves looking up and aiming it at your forward(s), not just blindly hitting it.

my horrified disbelief as he was given the Man of the Match award.

Luckily normal humans aren't as stupid as Sky Sports presenters:

Ryan Mason has been voted Man of the Match by supporters after his match-changing cameo off the bench against Forest.
The midfielder entered the fray with Harry Kane on 64 minutes and struck a superb equaliser eight minutes later - his first senior Spurs goal.
Ryan was then involved in the build-up for the second goal as Andros Townsend's shot was diverted home by Roberto Soldado before Harry's clinical finish in added time put the issue beyond doubt.
Academy graduate Ryan claimed 73.3% per of votes cast on Twitter, Facebook and on the Match Centre here on tottenhamhotspur.com.
MAN OF THE MATCH - FOREST
Ryan Mason - 73.3%
Andros Townsend - 15.5%
Aaron Lennon - 11.2%

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/spurs-forest-motm-250914/

Judging purely on yesterday's performance, Townsend was clearly the superior player. Townsend had shots (which are at least attempts at goal!) he hit the bar an assist and numerous decent balls into the box (where the hell was soldado?), whereas lennon didn't really contribute anything.

Lennon needs to learn to be more productive in this system, he could learn a bit from Townsend.

The dead ball strike was great to watch, didn't realise he had that in his locker. Likely he has been watching Eriksen in training and is working on it. His crossing though was poor and like Scara said, the lad blindly hit cross after cross into the box, rarely troubling Forest. I really want to see him tucking some of those long range drives in, but my worry is that once one goes in he will start doing it even more. He needs to learn when to play a pass and when to go on a run, just like sometimes he just needs to make the short pass and drift into space. When he came on against West Ham, he looked an improved player as he was doing just that. In the cups though he goes back to being the kid in the play ground just trying to dribble it around everyone and hit worldies.

Sometimes I wonder whether he is trying to do too much to impress in order to try to get himself a first team place? Although of course it could just be that he hasn't got that vision and awareness so doesn't see the right option?

Townsend has shown that he seems to have absolutely no football brain whatsoever. Lennon on the other hand has shown that he does. It's an easy choice for me. Lennon was inneffective last night and largely he has been over the last few years, but his interplay and linking up with his team mates, even when he's playing badly sh*ts all over Townsend.

Lennon in his prime maybe, Lennon now is totally anonymous in most of the games. Townsend is wasteful, greedy and sometimes selfish, but I always think even if he has a standard 8 shots on goal with zero on target games, he MIGHT create one or two openings for teammates, he put in some good crosses that nobody attacked last night, even Soldado wasn't attacking the 6 yard box like he should be doing. Compare that to Lennon, the game just completely passes him by. I defended him for years and had high hopes that he would be a great player who would eventually outgrow us and we would sell to United, but contribute a lot to the club nonetheless.

All I can say is thank fcuk he did not play against West Brom else you and Jordinho would have blamed him for our defeat and paltry 1 shot on target

Although ironically he had the same input in 0 mins against West Brom as he did in 90 against Forest.

Andros Townsend is convinced he can be a hit in Mauricio Pochettino’s new system but says he needs time to reach top form and give the head coach what he is looking for.

After a strong start to last season for club and country, Townsend’s campaign was disrupted by injuries – the last of which ruled him out of the World Cup.

The winger has found himself in Spurs’ second-string side so far this campaign, with his three starts coming in the Europa League and Capital One Cup, alongside two substitute appearances in the Premier League.

Townsend has been playing on the right flank in Pochettino’s 4-2-3-1 system – and his role seems very similar to how Andre Villas-Boas set his team up, with the two wide men coming inside.

However, the 23-year-old says there are important differences and he is having to adapt his game to suit the new tactics.

“I prefer being on the right side,” said Townsend. “The manager’s formation is new to me but I’m learning. We’ve had some chats about how he wants me to play and I’m trying to implement that when I go out on the field. It’s going to take time but I know I can fit into this formation.”

Asked how Pochettino’s system differs from Villas-Boas’, the winger replied: “He likes his players to come inside, to get through on goal more as opposed to staying wide and taking on the player one v one.

“It’s definitely something I’ve got to learn but I’m young enough and I’m hoping to learn so hopefully I can get there.

“I think I’m improving in every game. Of course I’m not where I want to be at the moment but I’m getting games under my belt. I’m slowly getting my fitness better and with every game I’m improving.

“Hopefully, with a few more games in the Europa League and the cup games, I might be ready to challenge for a Premier League spot.”

Townsend came through the youth ranks at Tottenham and was loaned to nine other clubs before making his breakthrough at Spurs.

Another product of the Lilywhites’ youth system, Ryan Mason, has also had to bide his time before announcing himself at White Hart Lane this week.

Mason made his Tottenham debut as a 17-year-old in November 2008 but has played just four games for the Lilywhites since then, having loan spells at Yeovil, Doncaster, Millwall, French club Lorient and Swindon in the meantime.

Now 23 years old, the midfielder impressed Pochettino in pre-season. And, although an injury ruined his chance to stay in the first-team squad at the start of the campaign, he came off the bench in Wednesday’s Capital One Cup tie against Nottingham Forest and promptly hit a 30-yard equaliser – his first goal for the club - as Spurs came from behind to win 3-1.

Townsend said: “It’s only when Ryan Mason came on that we opened them up. I think he deserved the goal and his performance and hopefully now he can be a big player for us.

“Everyone knows Ryan’s a talented player, he’s just had some unfortunate injuries. I think he was our best player in pre-season and then he got injured - but now he’s back to full fitness and everyone saw how good he is.

“Everyone nowadays knows they’ve got to be patient and go out on loan and bide their time – and now I think he’s got a manager here who believes in his ability, and hopefully his talent will shine through.”

Tottenham are through to the last 16 of the League Cup – which was their last trophy in 2008 – and they have been given a home draw against Brighton.

“We’ve got a big squad, we’ve got a young squad,” said Townsend. “I think the manager made 11 changes and you saw we had international players in the squad, so we’ve got strength in depth and hopefully the ‘second team’ that the manager puts out can go far in this competition.

“It’s another home draw, it’s another Championship side. We can’t take anything for granted. Nottingham Forest was a home draw and a Championship side and they took us all the way so we know it’s going to be another difficult game, but one we’re looking forward to.”

Tottenham now turn their attention to tomorrow’s north London derby against Arsenal at the Emirates, a fixture they have lost on the last four occasions in the league and FA Cup.

“Of course I want to be involved, but you’d have to ask the manager whether I’m going to be involved,” said Townsend.

“I know, even though we’ve not been in the best form of late, that all the boys are confident. We’re a confident group so we’re not going to be going there thinking we’ve not won in four years.

“We’re going to go there with confidence sky high and knowing, believing we can get a result if we’re playing well.”

Andros Townsend is convinced he can be a hit in Mauricio Pochettino’s new system but says he needs time to reach top form and give the head coach what he is looking for.

After a strong start to last season for club and country, Townsend’s campaign was disrupted by injuries – the last of which ruled him out of the World Cup.

The winger has found himself in Spurs’ second-string side so far this campaign, with his three starts coming in the Europa League and Capital One Cup, alongside two substitute appearances in the Premier League.

Townsend has been playing on the right flank in Pochettino’s 4-2-3-1 system – and his role seems very similar to how Andre Villas-Boas set his team up, with the two wide men coming inside.

However, the 23-year-old says there are important differences and he is having to adapt his game to suit the new tactics.

“I prefer being on the right side,” said Townsend. “The manager’s formation is new to me but I’m learning. We’ve had some chats about how he wants me to play and I’m trying to implement that when I go out on the field. It’s going to take time but I know I can fit into this formation.”

Asked how Pochettino’s system differs from Villas-Boas’, the winger replied: “He likes his players to come inside, to get through on goal more as opposed to staying wide and taking on the player one v one.

“It’s definitely something I’ve got to learn but I’m young enough and I’m hoping to learn so hopefully I can get there.

“I think I’m improving in every game. Of course I’m not where I want to be at the moment but I’m getting games under my belt. I’m slowly getting my fitness better and with every game I’m improving.

“Hopefully, with a few more games in the Europa League and the cup games, I might be ready to challenge for a Premier League spot.”

Townsend came through the youth ranks at Tottenham and was loaned to nine other clubs before making his breakthrough at Spurs.

Another product of the Lilywhites’ youth system, Ryan Mason, has also had to bide his time before announcing himself at White Hart Lane this week.

Mason made his Tottenham debut as a 17-year-old in November 2008 but has played just four games for the Lilywhites since then, having loan spells at Yeovil, Doncaster, Millwall, French club Lorient and Swindon in the meantime.

Now 23 years old, the midfielder impressed Pochettino in pre-season. And, although an injury ruined his chance to stay in the first-team squad at the start of the campaign, he came off the bench in Wednesday’s Capital One Cup tie against Nottingham Forest and promptly hit a 30-yard equaliser – his first goal for the club - as Spurs came from behind to win 3-1.

Townsend said: “It’s only when Ryan Mason came on that we opened them up. I think he deserved the goal and his performance and hopefully now he can be a big player for us.

“Everyone knows Ryan’s a talented player, he’s just had some unfortunate injuries. I think he was our best player in pre-season and then he got injured - but now he’s back to full fitness and everyone saw how good he is.

“Everyone nowadays knows they’ve got to be patient and go out on loan and bide their time – and now I think he’s got a manager here who believes in his ability, and hopefully his talent will shine through.”

Tottenham are through to the last 16 of the League Cup – which was their last trophy in 2008 – and they have been given a home draw against Brighton.

“We’ve got a big squad, we’ve got a young squad,” said Townsend. “I think the manager made 11 changes and you saw we had international players in the squad, so we’ve got strength in depth and hopefully the ‘second team’ that the manager puts out can go far in this competition.

“It’s another home draw, it’s another Championship side. We can’t take anything for granted. Nottingham Forest was a home draw and a Championship side and they took us all the way so we know it’s going to be another difficult game, but one we’re looking forward to.”

Tottenham now turn their attention to tomorrow’s north London derby against Arsenal at the Emirates, a fixture they have lost on the last four occasions in the league and FA Cup.

“Of course I want to be involved, but you’d have to ask the manager whether I’m going to be involved,” said Townsend.

“I know, even though we’ve not been in the best form of late, that all the boys are confident. We’re a confident group so we’re not going to be going there thinking we’ve not won in four years.

“We’re going to go there with confidence sky high and knowing, believing we can get a result if we’re playing well.”

Bit disappointed to hear this. I like my wide players to stay wide and create space, go 1v1, get in behind etc. (then occasionally come inside). It's congested enough already in the middle with a 4-2-3-1, without the wide players coming inside all the time. It also negates any pace advantage the wide player might have. Although, if they are going wide they do need to have a variety of different crosses at their disposal -pull back, ping across, loft to back post etc etc

Although ironically he had the same input in 0 mins against West Brom as he did in 90 against Forest.

Dude, he had an assist against Forest. He hit the bar and despite being wayward with his shooting he was the only player pre mason coming on, that did anything of note (even if that shoot and miss... A lot).

This is a homegrown player who is young and shown affection for apurs. Yet he gets ****ed off at the drop of a hat, and someone like soldado gets a free pass... I don't get it.

Back