• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

At the end they had left their half and were trying to get an equalizer, this in effect left Andros in more space. For me he showed more negatives than positives tonight, but the whole team looked lacking in drive until we went a goal down.

He shoots waaaaaaayyy to often but at least he's in the game, you barely hear Lennon's name mentioned these days.

We don't use Lennon at all. We don't pass the ball well enough. He is perhaps guilty of playing it safe too often but he retains possession and if he had better players up top with him we'd see far more from him.

We don't use Lennon at all. We don't pass the ball well enough. He is perhaps guilty of playing it safe too often but he retains possession and if he had better players up top with him we'd see far more from him.

Exactly it. How often do we see Lennon get the ball in positions he can do damage like in the past? He's been asked to play a different role and that's what he's doing. Do we have other players who are better fits than him? Most likely.

He doesn't do anything when he gets the ball. Townsend may be wasteful at times, but he tries to get involved, which Lennon doesn't do enough, it's like he's happy to be on the periphary of the game.

Exactly it. How often do we see Lennon get the ball in positions he can do damage like in the past? He's been asked to play a different role and that's what he's doing. Do we have other players who are better fits than him? Most likely.

While I agree to an extent, Lennon nevertheless never gets himself in those areas any more. He just drifts about impotently. With the ball at his feet, does he take players on? He only goes sideways across the pitch or backwards.

Townsend should try involving other players when we're attacking. At lost half of our attempts break down with him.

Townsend should try involving other players when we're attacking. At lost half of our attempts break down with him.

Straight choice. Lennon or Townsend?

For me, Townsend every time going forward. If we need a back tracker, against the best teams for example, Lennon might get the nod - but only to help out a full back in defending.

Lennon every time. As soon as Townsend gets the ball you may as well get back into defensive positions.

I was ready for him to be sold. Just not enough end product. BUT hes a player that can make things happen. More so than Lennon or any of the midfielders tonight. So you can see why we persist. When/ if the end product clicks for him, he could be a decent player.
He may be a player than can make things happen, the problem is he never does make things happen.

We have defenders with more goals and assists than him.

Straight choice. Lennon or Townsend?

For me, Townsend every time going forward. If we need a back tracker, against the best teams for example, Lennon might get the nod - but only to help out a full back in defending.
Lennon every time.

I'd rather 0 goals, 0 assists and helps the rest of the team a bit than 0 goals, 0 assists and keeps the guy who fetches the ball back from the stands fit.

A player who can generate power with his shots compared a to a player who hits the ball softer than an U16 player.

Not saying Townsend doesn't need to improve, but Lennon isn't going to improve, he's regressed. His biggest strength is his defensive ability.

Lennon all day.

Look at the bigger picture. Look at the patterns of play. Ask the question why he is so ineffective today?

For me there is no coincidence that Lennon has tailed off since we've made the move from a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 to a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. It doesn't suit his game as we all predicted but he has been horribly mismanaged for too long. There is still a serious player there when someone learns to use him properly IMO

Lennon all day.

Look at the bigger picture. Look at the patterns of play. Ask the question why he is so ineffective today?

For me there is no coincidence that Lennon has tailed off since we've made the move from a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 to a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. It doesn't suit his game as we all predicted but he has been horribly mismanaged for too long. There is still a serious player there when someone learns to use him properly IMO

Do you think he does enough to try and get involved? I don't think he does.

We can debate formations all day, but even his prime, he would have 3 excellent games, then go missing for 6.

Last edited:
Do you think he does enough to try and get involved? I don't think he does.

We can debate formations all day, but even his prime, he would 3 excellent games, then go missing for 6.

In answer to your question, I don't think Lennon has ever really been a grab the game by the scruff of the neck type player. But he is a weapon that we possess that we simply don't use. And haven't done since Huddlestone, Modric and Corluka left. Lennon is nothing without service. It's a shame but that's the way I see it.

He may be a player than can make things happen, the problem is he never does make things happen.

We have defenders with more goals and assists than him.

Same comment can be made of Lennon with knobs on. Lenon works hard but has lost his mojo.

The undeniable fact ( I would have thought) is that Townsend is much more likely to make things happen than the current Lennon embodiment. He has the POTENTIAL to change games, fast with good shots in both feet. Plenty of raw material there. Just needs the right coach to bring it out. Maybe Poch is that man. Have just seen a documentary about Thierry Henry. There are some similarities there with Henry's early career. Not saying he will reach those heights but it would be fantastic for us if he could get somewhere near it.

I will take a bet with you here and now that Townsend goes on to have a really successful career - although (unfortunately) I suspect probably not with us.

Same comment can be made of Lennon with knobs on. Lenon works hard but has lost his mojo.

The undeniable fact ( I would have thought) is that Townsend is much more likely to make things happen than the current Lennon embodiment. He has the POTENTIAL to change games, fast with good shots in both feet. Plenty of raw material there. Just needs the right coach to bring it out. Maybe Poch is that man. Have just seen a documentary about Thierry Henry. There are some similarities there with Henry's early career. Not saying he will reach those heights but it would be fantastic for us if he could get somewhere near it.

I will take a bet with you here and now that Townsend goes on to have a really successful career - although (unfortunately) I suspect probably not with us.

The main problem with Townsend is that it's overwhelmingly likely that what he's trying to do isn't going to come off and the opposition will end up with the ball, possibly in a position where they can counter attack. That is simply not worth it for a fluke goal once or twice a season.

In answer to your question, I don't think Lennon has ever really been a grab the game by the scruff of the neck type player. But he is a weapon that we possess that we simply don't use. And haven't done since Huddlestone, Modric and Corluka left. Lennon is nothing without service. It's a shame but that's the way I see it.

Lennon WAS that man. I remember how excited I used to get every time he had the ball at his feet . Edge of the seat stuff. Unfortunately haven't seen that Lennon since the Rednapp days. About three eras ago.

Back