• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

If he can be coached to improve his decision making.... Which I believe he can, then we are going to have a serious player on our hands.

If he can be coached to improve his decision making.... Which I believe he can, then we are going to have a serious player on our hands.
If he can I agree. Problem is a number of coaches have tried it and none have managed.

He's also not all that young - he's 23. In the modern game that makes him quite a late developer if he's ever going to learn to play football.

He's had two good games for England a couple of half decent performances for us. The guys is so bad it's painful. He MAY be able to be coached, he MAY improve, but I highly doubt it. Need to replace him in January!

But he is still young still learning and until all others with big price tags are treated/critised equally to him, then I will keep defending him when he is singled out.

Like I said in my other post, not all that young - especially for an attacking player.

I'd argue that his problem is precisely that he's not learning. He plateaued a few years ago when his skills developed and has done nothing to develop his brain.

Other players get more leniency because they've shown in the past that they're better than they are now. That suggests they're in bad form for whatever reason but have proven they can be better. Townsend has never been better, there is nothing other than blind faith to suggest he'll ever be better than he is.

Straight choice. Lennon or Townsend?

For me, Townsend every time going forward. If we need a back tracker, against the best teams for example, Lennon might get the nod - but only to help out a full back in defending.

Lennon is at is best when we have a Modric / Carrick type passer in the middle...someone that can find him early, isolated against his full back unfortunately we don't have that player.

That still wouldn't mean I'd pick Dros ahead of him! Dros does not have a brain, has only one move that funnily enough has been figured out by basically everyone and I'm sure he gets slower by the game! He seems to be outpaced by just about everyone!

I cannot believe the amount of money we turned down for him just to spite Saints!

Like I said in my other post, not all that young - especially for an attacking player.

I'd argue that his problem is precisely that he's not learning. He plateaued a few years ago when his skills developed and has done nothing to develop his brain.

Other players get more leniency because they've shown in the past that they're better than they are now. That suggests they're in bad form for whatever reason but have proven they can be better. Townsend has never been better, there is nothing other than blind faith to suggest he'll ever be better than he is.

Blimey I find myself in complete agreement with one of your posts. I think I'm going to have to lie down...

Lennon has to work hard for the team, track back and come inside to win the ball. To do this he has had to sacrifice being an out and out winger. I don't see Townsend given as much responsibility and so should be able to develop his wing play. Unfortunately he hasn't and as Scara says he is not young.

If he can I agree. Problem is a number of coaches have tried it and none have managed.

He's also not all that young - he's 23. In the modern game that makes him quite a late developer if he's ever going to learn to play football.

If Chiriches is a 5 a-side player, Townsend plays like that one kid at school who had figured out how to generate a really powerful shot. Always going for glory, always failing.

I've scrolled through 3 pages of the 'latest' threads to be added to, and can't see where the one for Andros has gone. That alone astounds me as, unless i've been watching a different sub the last few weeks, he has offered diddly-effin'-squat every single time he comes on and I didn't think i'd be alone in venting about it.

Why does he think it's his GHod given right to shoot at every single opportunity, despite team mates having kept pace with his fresh legs only to be shunned. Okay, unbiased head on, maybe he's given instructions to "shoot on sight" by Poch…but EVERY SINGLE TIME, and always to no avail??!!!!!

F*ck it, i might even make him my spacegoat for all that went wrong at the Etihad. But i'm just sick of him thinking cos he's banged a couple of long range goals in for England against shoddy opposition, that he will do it every time in the PL!!! Such a waste and you can start to see the lack of enthusiasm on the faces of the other players when he runs now. They have the distinct look of "oh what's the point, he'll only shoot anyway" that i haven't seen since my time in Sunday league!!

The guy is seriously grating on me now. You're bought on cos we need you to impact the game. That doest always mean getting a goal. Get your head up, skin a player if necessary, but then bloody well PASS it - and with a degree of accuracy if at all possible please!!!! That, or give your seat on the bench to someone who recognises there are other players wearing lily-white!

Grrrrrr

(hops down off soapbox)

Re: Andros effin' Townsend

Although he's by far and away the worst I think all the players that have come through the ranks have this glory attitude.
Walker has tamed it, rose is trying to but mason and Bentaleb are the same. Constantly pushing forward at all costs. Only Kane seems to have the maturity to be a team player. They are all young and I'm sure it will get better though.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I wonder whether Townsend is simply trying to do too much by himself in order to impress the manager and win a regular first team place? Perhaps he really needs it drummed into him by the manager that playing for the team is far more likely to win him this than trying to ensure he ends up in the match of the day highlights.

The fact that Pochentinno has Townsed in the squad must mean that he sees something in him in our training sessions. Townsend has the touch, the pace, the physicality and two good feet, he just needs to show a lot more maturity on the pitch. From what I have been told Townsend is a player that works hard at his game, listens and wants to learn so perhaps we just need to continue being patient with him and hope that our manager can drill that maturity into him.

I actually think the best thing for Townsend would be a loan to a side such as Stoke or Hull or Leicester. A club where he would be forced to do the right things just by the way that the team play. The problem is that I doubt Townsend himself would want to move on loan again.

QPR will take him, they've got fond memories of his previous loan.

I think that would be completely the wrong loan for him though.... We need him to go to a club where he will be forced to play for the team by both the manager and the other players. At QPR they will allow him to play as a maverick which will add nothing to his readiness to play for Spurs.

I think if he was put on the left hand side that could curb his shoot on sight policy somewhat. He is capable of beating players, he is capable of scoring glorious strikes, but he needs to realise he can't play a match like a youtube compilation.

Since Bale left the same criticisms have been levelled at him, and yet he doesn't seem to have changed or even attempted to change his approach. He could carve out a good career at another club, but I think he wants to do well here, and credit to him for that but it can only be down to him succeed.

B0UnctICUAAxhUs.jpg

Replace 'set fire to this' with 'dribble past all the opposition players' and it pretty much sums him up.

I think if he was put on the left hand side that could curb his shoot on sight policy somewhat. He is capable of beating players, he is capable of scoring glorious strikes, but he needs to realise he can't play a match like a youtube compilation.

I am inclined to agree with your observation.

However bearing in mind Townsend has been nothing more than a bit part player this season I find it intriguing that whenever we lose a match he gets slated. He is not responsible for our inauspicious start to the season because he simple has not play enough in the league. And if it is not Andros getting stick it is Lennon.

The truth of the matter is that Lamela, whom I like a lot, deserves more criticism than those two players. Lamela has superior talent and has played more minutes but simple has not delivered enough. I am optimistic that he will improve, because he has shown flashes of brilliance, he just needs to be more consistent. And yes I am aware this is a Townsend thread :)

Townsend will come good. If not with us, then with another premiership side. He has too many qualities - fast, can beat a man and has a strong shot with either foot. With some decent coaching to bring out these qualities, in my opinion he will become a good Premiership player.

We are not exactly weighed down with potential matchwinners - and, like it or not, he is one. His shot just over the bar against Emirates Marketing Project could have proved decisive had it gone in. Name another impact sub that we currently have who is capable of changing the game by himself?

Townsend will come good. If not with us, then with another premiership side. He has too many qualities - fast, can beat a man and has a strong shot with either foot. With some decent coaching to bring out these qualities, in my opinion he will become a good Premiership player.

We are not exactly weighed down with potential matchwinners - and, like it or not, he is one. His shot just over the bar against Emirates Marketing Project could have proved decisive had it gone in. Name another impact sub that we currently have who is capable of changing the game by himself?

How many match winners has he scored then?

We could put on pretty much anyone from our academy and they'd provide more of an impact.

How many match winners has he scored then?

We could put on pretty much anyone from our academy and they'd provide more of an impact.

Not enough, agreed. But then who has scored many match winners for us? Solly? Ade? Lennon? Lamela? He is not exactly alone in misfiring.

Agree with PIrate. It might be next month or even next year but he will take his game to a new level and we will think damn he was decent. The end product will come because he can hit a ball well, beat and man and has genuine pace. He is skillful so there is a high chance that he steps it up and becomes a pest.

Doubt he'll do that for us

Back