• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB Sacked page 224

Not sure anyone has labeled AVB that either. Sherwood has been talked about as talented coach, but his team selections are bordering on ludicrous.

really??? his results so far are not far off what genius AVB had given us and AVB had more players available for him to choose from

so what is your problem with the team selections?

I've not seen anything to suggest Sherwood knows what he's doing and there is no previous experience to look at either. He got two performances out of Ade, but that's a risky tactic as we saw against West Brom.

What we are seeing though is a lot of posters basing their opinions on Sherwood on their disdain towards AVB, just like a lot of anti-AVB stuff in reality was about Redknapp. New guy is different from last guy = new guy is great/terrible (delete as applicable). I've no problem admitting that AVB's style might not be everyone's cup of tea, but our ability to grind out results under him isn't easily replicated.

Please can everyone calm it down a little. We can discuss this and everything else without being at each others' throats.

I need a break from this all, it's making me more and more angry!
This.
It isn't just the fact that we bought 7 new players, rather than 3 fantastic players, which annoys me, it is that none of them had played in this league, so all were relatively high risk, and all need time to adjust to the PL.
We were the only Premiership "Top 6" club who would have hired AVB.
We were probably the only Premiership "Top 6" club who would have fired him so early.
And this season seems to be unravelling fast....it feels to me like we are back to the Ramos era...very hard not to be totally ****ed off with it all.

really??? his results so far are not far off what genius AVB had given us and AVB had more players available for him to choose from

so what is your problem with the team selections?

The way he sets up our midfield and not using Capoue, considering the lack of options. Basically everything about the West Ham game. It's style over substance and it's not that great to watch either.

I've not seen anything to suggest Sherwood knows what he's doing and there is no previous experience to look at either. He got two performances out of Ade, but that's a risky tactic as we saw against West Brom.

What we are seeing though is a lot of posters basing their opinions on Sherwood on their disdain towards AVB, just like a lot of anti-AVB stuff in reality was about Redknapp. New guy is different from last guy = new guy is great/terrible (delete as applicable). I've no problem admitting that AVB's style might not be everyone's cup of tea, but our ability to grind out results under him isn't easily replicated.

well i dont want a manager who grinds out results and there not being any excitement along the way......if we have to suffer with Sherwood just to get rid of AVB then so be it. Levy will just move onto the next name if Sherwood isnt up to the job. This is how Levy rolls

The way he sets up our midfield and not using Capoue, considering the lack of options. Basically everything about the West Ham game. It's style over substance and it's not that great to watch either.

it will take longer than a week to improve what we watch week in week out

about Capoue, we shall have to see what it is that Sherwood doesnt like so far.

well i dont want a manager who grinds out results and there not being any excitement along the way......if we have to suffer with Sherwood just to get rid of AVB then so be it. Levy will just move onto the next name if Sherwood isnt up to the job. This is how Levy rolls

Would love to know if you'll still feel this if it means we finish 9th or lower, leading to us not being able to attract a high-calibre manager, not being even thought of by class players not quite able to attact bids from top CL clubs and/or our leading players such as Verts, Lloris, Sandro et al having no reason whatsoever in staying and being picked-off by the likes of real, Barca, Juve, Bayern etc

Would love to know if you'll still feel this if it means we finish 9th or lower, leading to us not being able to attract a high-calibre manager, not being even thought of by class players not quite able to attact bids from top CL clubs and/or our leading players such as Verts, Lloris, Sandro et al having no reason whatsoever in staying and being picked-off by the likes of real, Barca, Juve, Bayern etc

what is a high calibre manager??? would anyone have considered Rodgers or Martinez as high calibre managers?? we need the right manager

we will always be picked off by bigger clubs. We are not CL regulars, we dont win trophies, we dont pay high wages.

all i want from my manager/head coach is some attractive football to watch, for our team to look like genuine threats going forward, to score goals. If that takes us towards the top 6 then im happy

what is a high calibre manager??? would anyone have considered Rodgers or Martinez as high calibre managers?? we need the right manager

we will always be picked off by bigger clubs. We are not CL regulars, we dont win trophies, we dont pay high wages.

all i want from my manager/head coach is some attractive football to watch, for our team to look like genuine threats going forward, to score goals. If that takes us towards the top 6 then im happy

Ok, 'right manager' then. Are you seriously suggesting that we are more likely to find that 'right manager' if we are muddling around in 9th place even with playing good football?
Were you really happy when we were mid-table and often playing good football? Like under the Hoddle years?

You're sort of missing the point.

You can't be the first to preach about posters being knee jerk after 1 season with AVB but then make this sort of judgement based on 3 games. Let me clarify, it's the not the fact that you're being 'knee jerk' that's the issue (as most posters on here at one time or another have been) it's the fact that you're always one of the first to accuse others of being knee jerk, always informing us that we should be patient, always informing us that a lot of posters that have based these apparent 'knee jerk' opinions on AVB based on 1 season have ulterior motives..etc etc....and then after 3 games you say this? talk about being hypocritical.

To be fair to Jordinho, it perhaps would be hypocritical if Sherwood had actualy managed a team before; then you could compare like with like in that the two people had previously had experience of actually being a manager beforehand.

If the PM wa replaced by somebody who had never been an MP before you can bet your bottom dollar hat said person would be getting similarly scrutinized right now. Or if Dave the cleaner (as Scara has mentined elsewhere) had taken over a running a key department of a large multi-million Firm after the previous director of said department had been fired

You're sort of missing the point.

You can't be the first to preach about posters being knee jerk after 1 season with AVB but then make this sort of judgement based on 3 games. Let me clarify, it's the not the fact that you're being 'knee jerk' that's the issue (as most posters on here at one time or another have been) it's the fact that you're always one of the first to accuse others of being knee jerk, always informing us that we should be patient, always informing us that a lot of posters that have based these apparent 'knee jerk' opinions on AVB based on 1 season have ulterior motives..etc etc....and then after 3 games you say this? talk about being hypocritical.

I'm critical of knee jerking when evidence support the contrary.

The thing about Sherwood is that there's absolutely nothing to suggest he's any good, not now or in his past. It's not entertaining and nor is there any strategy or plan. It's AVB without the purpose.

Ok, 'right manager' then. Are you seriously suggesting that we are more likely to find that 'right manager' if we are muddling around in 9th place even with playing good football?
Were you really happy when we were mid-table and often playing good football? Like under the Hoddle years?

Redknapp was the right manager when we were rock bottom with 2pts from 8 games. I wasnt the biggest fan of Redknapp and the circus that came with him but somehow he got a tune out of the players and lifted the club up to lofty heights. However he had to go after the England fiasco and the club decided to go in another direction. I didnt think AVB was the right manager after what happened at chelski. He showed too much disturbing arrogance in that position and it was too soon for him to be taking over at Spurs. I didnt like the way his Chels team played football either, not one bit. However Levy was seduced by something

my choice back then was Martinez, there were a couple of us lone voices calling for his appointment. Not high calibre, not a successful record behind him, but for me I liked the way his teams play and the way, seemed to be quite flexible tactically, and he conducted himself well with the media which is unfortunately an important aspect in the modern game.

Its up to Levy to make the right choice which is a problem in its own right as he hasnt got a good track record

I'm critical of knee jerking when evidence support the contrary.

The thing about Sherwood is that there's absolutely nothing to suggest he's any good, not now or in his past. It's not entertaining and nor is there any strategy or plan. It's AVB without the purpose.

I think you're moving the goal posts but let's just leave it at that.

Jeez we weren't top when we sacked AVB, we were in almost exactly the same position in the table.

You made excuse after excuse for AVB even after 18 months but you can't see why people want to give Tim more than 2 league games? He made one big mistake yesterday, AVB made plenty too like never playing Lamela, benching Eriksen after one lousy game and persisting with Holtby, getting rid of Ekotto, playing slow CB's in a high line, I could go on.

On the flip side, I think people like yourself were so pleased to get rid of Redknapp that you simply couldn't bring yourself to admit that AVB might not actually have been the correct replacement in the first place.

it will take longer than a week to improve what we watch week in week out

about Capoue, we shall have to see what it is that Sherwood doesnt like so far.

If the only impediment to us playing attacking football was AVB's instructions then it should be instant.

Back