• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB Sacked page 224

Even though that's just an opinion, it doesn't tally with a 6-0 and a 0-5 defeat in the space of 1 month.

Argh, it's all such a great mess and it really shouldn't have been.

Come the end of the season, there's a vanishingly small probability that the size of those defeats will have any bearing on the season's outcome.

So in a month we lost to the best team in the league and we lost to the most over-achieving team in the league when down to 10 men.

Damaging for our top 4 hopes? Of course. More damaging than sacking the manager when our best idea of a replacement is an amateur? **** no.

Actually, this is the most important part of the post, because it creates the context for the rest of the post.

Take out the entirely subjective view of someone who was looking for negatives and replace it with positives and you have the following:

We were ahead of last year's record points total and were just getting better and better. I'm so excited about the second half of the season, at this rate we're virtually guaranteed CL qualification.

Not looking for positives, more like someone on drugs. Our record points total was good enough for 5th last year. More importantly, the performances had got progressively worse over the course of this season and taken as a whole, worse than the comparable stage of the previous season. And this is the 2nd season of a **** poor start. Whichever you look at it: not good enough.

Come the end of the season, there's a vanishingly small probability that the size of those defeats will have any bearing on the season's outcome.

So in a month we lost to the best team in the league and we lost to the most over-achieving team in the league when down to 10 men.

Damaging for our top 4 hopes? Of course. More damaging than sacking the manager when our best idea of a replacement is an amateur? **** no.

I would agree with you there. But if we also add the 0-3 result against West Ham, it does look a bit worrying. Results performance wise, it seemed that if we played well, we could squeek a win (1-0, 2-1) but if we played bad, we might get smashed to bits. We were dodging bullets earlier in the season and when that stopped happening, we got results like the West Ham one.

I would have loved it to work for AVB, but I genuinely don't think we were on course for a top 4 finish this season. I know you'll point out the points total thus far, but imo we were going downhill. The odd step forward (Sunderland away was a good performance) and then a good few steps back. We've been a mess all season really, and only a few fortunate penalties and good long range hits have covered that up (and I include today's result in that too). Much of that is at AVB's door, but I think questions need to be asked of Baldini too. It doesn't look like we have got £100m worth of talent added to our squad.

I would agree with you there. But if we also add the 0-3 result against West Ham, it does look a bit worrying. Results performance wise, it seemed that if we played well, we could squeek a win (1-0, 2-1) but if we played bad, we might get smashed to bits. We were dodging bullets earlier in the season and when that stopped happening, we got results like the West Ham one.

I would have loved it to work for AVB, but I genuinely don't think we were on course for a top 4 finish this season. I know you'll point out the points total thus far, but imo we were going downhill. The odd step forward (Sunderland away was a good performance) and then a good few steps back. We've been a mess all season really, and only a few fortunate penalties and good long range hits have covered that up (and I include today's result in that too). Much of that is at AVB's door, but I think questions need to be asked of Baldini too. It doesn't look like we have got £100m worth of talent added to our squad.

Do you think with Sherwood picking the lineups he has we're more likely to make it?

TS today headed up a team that just won 3-2 at Southampton. A team that was 6 points off the top of the league. He's made his bed, he needs to lie in it.

So when its AVB - he needs time... but when its TS - he has already destroyed everything. That seems to be the message from some

We have gone from being managed in a defensive manner to one that gives no caution. I argued with my mate a month back that AVB had us playing too slowly and he argued that wouldn't I prefer that to fast attacking and a weak back line. My reply was that surely it couldn't be too hard to create something that gives both and I still feel that that should be the case.

We have gone from being managed in a defensive manner to one that gives no caution. I argued with my mate a month back that AVB had us playing too slowly and he argued that wouldn't I prefer that to fast attacking and a weak back line. My reply was that surely it couldn't be too hard to create something that gives both and I still feel that that should be the case.

Tbh, the balance comes from the DM. One position that is so crucial to balancing a team of attackers.

So when its AVB - he needs time... but when its TS - he has already destroyed everything. That seems to be the message from some

I don't think that's necessarily against Sherwood. Another poster in a different thread said that you don't change managers mid-season to give the new guy time; you do it for an instant change in fortune. That's a fair point, I think.

Well I'm watching Emirates Marketing Project picking holes in the Liverpool back line, while Liverpool have a load of good chances against the league leaders at their ground... Sterling could have a hattrick by now.

Do you think with Sherwood picking the lineups he has we're more likely to make it?

No, he needs to show more common sense with his team selections.

I think getting shot of AVB was the right call, but I don't think any of us know if replacing him with Sherwood was also the right call. It's a gamble. Though I'd have gone for Bielsa, who would have also been a gamble (assuming he was interested in the job).

I don't think that's necessarily against Sherwood. Another poster in a different thread said that you don't change managers mid-season to give the new guy time; you do it for an instant change in fortune. That's a fair point, I think.

I think you have to give him time. As long as there are signs of progression then time should simply be given. This period so many games thick and fast that its unfair to judge given the limited training time he will have. He has been in the job a week and has had three games.

TS wasnt my first choice, and no ones first choice, but im prepared to give him time. He definitely mae a mistake in not playing a DM in either game but I think he is a quick learner and will play Bentaleb or Capoue in the middle.

I think you have to give him time. As long as there are signs of progression then time should simply be given. This period so many games thick and fast that its unfair to judge given the limited training time he will have. He has been in the job a week and has had three games.

TS wasnt my first choice, and no ones first choice, but im prepared to give him time. He definitely mae a mistake in not playing a DM in either game but I think he is a quick learner and will play Bentaleb or Capoue in the middle.

I hope so. I hope that not getting a lucky win today will be a blessing in disguise that allows us to win more games in the future.

No, he needs to show more common sense with his team selections.

I think getting shot of AVB was the right call, but I don't think any of us know if replacing him with Sherwood was also the right call. It's a gamble. Though I'd have gone for Bielsa, who would have also been a gamble (assuming he was interested in the job).

The board have got a lot to answer for imo

A quick learner would have seen what we all saw the first time he got it wrong, then fixed it.

You would have thought AVB would have figured out that playing a high line with two slow centre backs was suicide, but he kept at it. Or getting rid of VDV was a mistake. Or loaning out Ekotto. Or playing full strength teams in Europa League friendlies was daft even though qualification had already been secured.

I don't think anyone is saying Sherwood didn't **** up by playing Eriksen AND Holtby, but AVB made the same mistakes week after week and still people made excuses for him so it's a bit rich to pile on Sherwood after 2 league games.

You would have thought AVB would have figured out that playing a high line with two slow centre backs was suicide, but he kept at it. Or getting rid of VDV was a mistake. Or loaning out Ekotto. Or playing full strength teams in Europa League friendlies was daft even though qualification had already been secured.

I don't think anyone is saying Sherwood didn't **** up by playing Eriksen AND Holtby, but AVB made the same mistakes week after week and still people made excuses for him so it's a bit rich to pile on Sherwood after 2 league games.

Fair point. I don't think he would admit to VdV or Ekotto going being mistakes. He had valid reasons (to him I'm sure).

The high line, yea fair point about Daws playing in a high line.

Back