• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB article - villas-boas-making-tottenham-his-own

another article http://sport.iafrica.com/news/844680.html AVB lovefest with media offical?

[h=1]Analysis is 'useless' - AVB[/h]Mon, 25 Feb 2013 1:34 PM
eX4DKuVtXDsPfl0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Tottenham Hotspur coach Andre Villas-Boas has bucked his reputation as one of the most innovative managers in the game by declaring tha he is not an unavowed fan of statistical analysis.

The 35-year-old earned his spurs working alongside Jose Mourinho at Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan, where his role involved producing detailed dossiers on opposition teams.

However, the Portuguese says he has always been wary of the kind of empirical statistical analysis.

"I don't use it because I don't believe (in it)," Villas-Boas said.

"You always have to be very, very careful with statistics. It doesn't mean that we negate them completely; we just don't use them to the extent that people might think.

"We have a scientific department that deals with that, but we don't prepare our training or players based on the physical data we get from matches.

"The mind and how the player feels is much more important for us, rather than statistical data.

"For me it's useless but it varies from coach to coach. We all have different approaches."

Villas-Boas was speaking ahead of his side's trip to West Ham United in the Premier League on Monday, with Spurs seeking a victory that would lift them above Chelsea into third place.

One of the things I love atm. is that its no noise in the club, we dont use time talking about if his the right man, no talk about him taking another job (england)
we can use time on players and games...

Loved his subs today. Sig and Carroll were inspired. Carrolls simple passing kept us flowing. Sig was fantastic.

Well done AVB

Can't say I've seen anything in AVB to suggest he will be a great manager for us long term. But hopefully that may change has he brings in more of his own players. Although other than Lloris I can't say I've been that impressed with the purchases we've made since he came in either, although Holtby seems to have potential.

Yes, lovely to see Tom Carroll playing a decent chunk of a game as a first replacement midfielder, and slotting right in.

There were a couple of times he gave it to other players rather than taking it on himself, so I actually wanted him to do a bit more, but his instinct is to keep it simple which is lovely to see.

Hence his 5 yard pass to Bale for the winner

Can't say I've seen anything in AVB to suggest he will be a great manager for us long term. But hopefully that may change has he brings in more of his own players. Although other than Lloris I can't say I've been that impressed with the purchases we've made since he came in either, although Holtby seems to have potential.

How about the fact that he has changed us from a team that all too often conceded late goals to a team that is now rather regularly scoring late goals (forget the fact that we need the late goals, my point is the change in the team mentality)?

I just read this fantastic article...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/im-rooting-andre-villas-boas-lead-1733561

If there is any justice in the world then Andre Villas-Boas will do it.

If there is any justice in the world the Spurs boss will finish third, with Arsenal fourth leaving Chelsea to spend another season of the outer darkness of the Europa League.
Not because the Blues fans deserve it. They don't.
Not because Chelsea as a club are not good enough. They are.
More because of the way that Chelsea threw Villas-Boas overboard at the first sign of trouble.
Because of the way that Villas-Boas was derided from within as he tried to impose his methods at Stamford Bridge.
And because of the way that he has had to reinvent himself to prove himself to the many people who refuse to accept that he does indeed have a clue.
Football tends to throw up romantic stories like the one unfolding around the former Porto coach right now.
His stock could not be higher back in 2011 after he had won the Portuguese title undefeated, adding the Cup and the Europa League for good measure.
Chelsea went to the trouble of activating his £13million release clause to prise him away and bring him to this country.
He was undone, however, by the characters he found to be far stronger than he had anticipated. Men that had accounted for managers before and after his arrival and continue to challenge the authority of Rafael Benitez.

AVB would accept that his man-management skills could have been better at the time. But his lack of backing from the Chelsea hierarchy - and the club's fear of missing out on the Champions League - meant he was axed.
How ironic then that he could yet reach the promised land of the top four at the expense of the west Londoners?
How satisfied must Villas-Boas be right now having lifted the Lilywhites above the side that at one time were nailed on for third place?
However wrong Spurs chairman Daniel Levy may have been for sacking Harry Redknapp, Villas-Boas has made the most of the chance to reinvent himself superbly.
If there is any justice in the world Villas Boas will now meet Chelsea in the Europa League final and pull off a stunning victory in that competition too.
Way back in October, when Spurs travelled to Panathinaikos for one of their group stage encounters, Villas-Boas explained to a handful of us English journalists that he was trying to train his players to cope with three big games in a week - which was why he was playing his strongest sides in Europe.
He had done it at Porto and added that Cup success to his League achievement. He explained that he now wanted to do it again at White Hart Lane.
While the Chelsea players believed they were too good to buy into the methods of the former DVD man, the Spurs players are buying into it.
While with every game Chelsea teeter on the brink of crisis, Spurs continue to go from strength to strength.
While with every other week another Chelsea player clashes with Benitez, the Spurs players place their faith in the man who is giving them untold belief.
The way in which Villas-Boas has met triumph and supposed disaster in equal measure has won him friends and influenced people.
Indeed, even the neutrals now must surely be willing Villas-Boas to defy the critics and complete the fairytale at White Hart Lane.
So many pundits have written him off. So many radio pundits believe he does not have a clue. Chelsea players praised him to the skies in public yet defied him to his face in private.

If there is any justice left in the world surely VIllas-Boas will have them eating their words by the end of the season.
There have been so many that have dismissed his unbeaten season with Porto when such an achievement is difficult to pull off in ANY league.
There have been so many quick to deride his tactics, team selection and man-management skills.
He has responded by showing he is not too big or too stubborn to listen to reason, tweaking the safety-first home formation that cost him points against West Brom, Stoke and Wigan to become more open.
There is no real arrogance about him. He doesn't duck press conferences. He does mischievously stumble over his normally fluent English when faced with the odd tough question but we'll allow him that.
While other managers would bluster and try to have you disbelieve the evidence of your own eyes - that Gareth Bale is currently carrying the Spurs team on his back - Villas-Boas openly admits it.
In fact, he encourages it. He wants the big Welshman to be a big player and it is from the Spurs boss himself that the comparisons with superstars such as Cristiano Ronaldo come.
Why? Because like Hulk and Falcao at Porto he sees that Bale is responding to it.

Villas Boas is also seeing other players at White Hart Lane willing to run through brick walls for him.
Witness the improvement in Michael Dawson: a player for whom Spurs accepted £10million from QPR last season only for Dawson himself to insist he wanted to fight to be a part of what Villas-Boas was building.
The Spurs coach was not too proud last month to admit he had made a mistake about Dawson who could now be in line for a new deal.
So often in life the good guys finish last or do not get what they deserve. AVB can buck that trend this season with a story that has a real feel-good factor about it.

In the scramble for the Champions League places his two main rivals are far better resourced but the neutrals might just find themselves hoping the DVD guy comes out on top.

I would like to congratulate the author for writing this superb piece !

The Mirror's mainly sleaze, and was a huge critic of AVB when he was first appointed. Surprising, and heartening climb-down from them.

Whatever happens between now and the end of the season, one thing is guaranteed;even if the Portugal job becomes available and AVB is installed as the odds-on favourite, our season will not careen into disaster like it did last season. Andre's proved himself, to that extent at least.

when i read that article my first thought was it sounds like it was written by Darren Lewis....i clicked on the link and indeed it is a Darren Lewis piece

he is one journo that doesnt mind admitting when he is wrong. Excellent article

Hope he stays with us for many, many years - top bloke

I'm amazed at all these people singing AVB's praises. If I remember rightly we were the only 2 wanting Harry out and AVB in. Baffling to read some of the backtracking flimflam now.

I'm amazed at all these people singing AVB's praises. If I remember rightly we were the only 2 wanting Harry out and AVB in. Baffling to read some of the backtracking flimflam now.

:-"

I remember a brickload of people wanting him in. The 'AVB new manager' thread was filled with 'em. Most of the same people wanted Harry out as well.

I remember a brickload of people wanting him in. The 'AVB new manager' thread was filled with 'em. Most of the same people wanted Harry out as well.

Hmmm, there weren't so many actually who wanted AVB in and Arry out

Most were either / or - but I take your point

Back