• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB article - villas-boas-making-tottenham-his-own

Does it matter any more? can't we just move on and enjoy what we have now rather than banging on about who wanted avb and who wanted saggy tits ?

Hmmm, there weren't so many actually who wanted AVB in and Arry out

Most were either / or - but I take your point

Perhaps you're right, I tend to try to forget those months. But considering the grim end to the season we had, and Harry's fresh-faced demands for a new contract immediately after that, it's not unreasonable to assume that a majority of the posters here were at best extremely annoyed, and at worst actively hostile towards the prospect of Harry's continued tenure, surely.

He used to be an opposition scout - part of that role is preparing highlight DVDs for the manager and players.

thanks for that. like officializing transfers via fax. relics of a bygone era. i suppose these days the scout is known as the youtube guy?

It is understandable that AVB came to chelsea with an air of confidence and even a touch of authority. He came off the back of all conquering sucess with Porto and the knowledge that chelscum were willing to weigh out £13million to release him from Porto.

Obviously with the backing of the owner (veiled?) and head held high, he marched into Chelsea thinking that football was football and the Porto magic was transferable. BUT chelscum isn't football it is something else altogether. No club is comparable, it's poisonous.

Remember AVB is only 35, he has had no playing career for dressing room experience or medals to show, he is a young man at a very high level, in a career where experience is everything. Chelscum eat him alive.

Luckily being the humongous ugly beast that they are (they barely chew anything), they shat him out the other end still breathing, still young, still energetic and still full of ideas. Hopefully, like a good striker, we were in the right place at the right time. He is a risk. Still is. BUT i always thought the upside was massive, he had potential longevity that HR didn't.

He has obviously learnt lessons from his Chelscum time. We, i'm sure he appreciates, are a very different club. We've given him a chance, given him a world class training facility (good timing, and a man that with use it to the max), a dressing room full of players, none with the name jekyll or hyde and a good level of control to implement his plans.

His media face is first class, doesn't mix it or take any b*llbrick. He appears to take an genuine interest in ALL the players, totally inclusive. I suspect he put in many more hours than he has too.

Bottom line is he looks very very happy at Spurs and i would say that that level of happiness has been beautifully helped by his shuddering recollections of his dark days at stamford bridge.

Last edited:

It is understandable that AVB came to chelsea with an air of confidence and even a touch of authority. He came off the back of all conquering sucess with Porto and the knowledge that chelscum were willing to weigh out £13million to release him from Porto.

Obviously with the backing of the owner (veiled?) and head held high, he marched into Chelsea thinking that football was football and the Porto magic was transferable. BUT chelscum isn't football it is something else altogether. No club is comparable, it's poisonous.

Remember AVB is only 35, he has had no playing career for dressing room experience or medals to show, he is a young man at a very high level, in a career where experience is everything. Chelscum eat him alive.

Luckily being the humongous ugly beast that they are (they barely chew anything), they shat him out the other end still breathing, still young, still energetic and still full of ideas. Hopefully, like a good striker, we were in the right place at the right time. He is a risk. Still is. BUT i always thought the upside was massive, he had potential longevity that HR didn't.

He has obviously learnt lessons from his Chelscum time. We, i'm sure he appreciates, are a very different club. We've given him a chance, given him a world class training facility (good timing, and a man that with use it to the max), a dressing room full of players, none with the name jekyll or hyde and a good level of control to implement his plans.

His media face is first class, doesn't mix it or take any b*llbrick. He appears to take an genuine interest in ALL the players, totally inclusive. I suspect he put in many more hours than he has too.

Bottom line is he looks very very happy at Spurs and i would say that that level of happiness has been beautifully helped by his shuddering recollections of his dark days at stamford bridge.

=D> great post, agree with all of that. Spurs is the perfect club for him at this moment in time I reckon, lets hope he stays and both Spurs and AVB are very successful.

=D> Great post, well-constructed.

I'm amazed at all these people singing AVB's praises. If I remember rightly we were the only 2 wanting Harry out and AVB in. Baffling to read some of the backtracking flimflam now.

I would stake a claim for membership of your elite club too.

I can't remember the statistic, but read sometime in the last week how Spurs haven't given up a late goal in quite some time (maybe as far back as the Everton loss), while obviously scoring quite a few late goals. That is a marked contrast with the painful beginning of the season.

And I remember at the time reading how AVB and crew had concocted some training exercises specifically to keep the team mentally focused and concentrating even when tired late in games. That, coupled with an apparent increase in player fitness and smart substitutions really seems to have an impact, and I fully credit AVB and his staff for that. May it continue.

I'm amazed at all these people singing AVB's praises. If I remember rightly we were the only 2 wanting Harry out and AVB in. Baffling to read some of the backtracking flimflam now.

Sacking Redknapp and bringing in AVB was the best thing Levy has done for years, and i said so at the time.:)

I was a real AVB sceptic. I have been won over as the season has progressed and see now he is the real deal.
If he sees this through to a top 4 finish (and that is the IF) then we should let him have some real cash to build a team/squad of his choosing.
We've had a few excellent (positive not neutral or negative) substitutions recently and that is the mark of a class manager.
The players by and large seem to love him and, given what happened at Chelsea and his young age, that is a very impressive thing to have swung.
I'm a convert.

Remember AVB is only 35, he has had no playing career for dressing room experience or medals to show, he is a young man at a very high level, in a career where experience is everything.

Very well put. IF - and it still is an if- he gets Top 4 this season, it will be a great achievement for one so young, and looking ahead, will give him the charisma, the buzz of success, which will help enormously next season. If anything the Chelsea failure, followed by success here, will somehow add to his lustre. I am going into the Derby genuinely optimistic than come what may, even if the arse steal a win, the club has a manager who knows how to organise and motivate his players. Good times really do seem to be gradually coming back to Spurs.

bale on avb:

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1358006/bale-on-ronaldo-comparisons:-i-am-my-own-player?cc=4716

Some doubted Bale could improve from these performances but this season has seen the Welshman emerge as one of the world's best attacking players and he says Spurs' manager Andre Villas-Boas must take most of the credit.

"Harry [Redknapp] was more 'go out there and play how you feel and express yourself. With Andre there is a certain shape and a style we play," added Bale. "There is a lot more tactical work. I think it is something that is good to learn. We've done well this year and I think that is down to our defending as well as attacking."

Villas-Boas has converted Bale from an orthodox left-winger (and occasional left-back) into a marauding central player and the results have been devastating with a return of 13 goals in 12 games since the start of the New Year.

bale on avb:

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1358006/bale-on-ronaldo-comparisons:-i-am-my-own-player?cc=4716

Some doubted Bale could improve from these performances but this season has seen the Welshman emerge as one of the world's best attacking players and he says Spurs' manager Andre Villas-Boas must take most of the credit.

"Harry [Redknapp] was more 'go out there and play how you feel and express yourself. With Andre there is a certain shape and a style we play," added Bale. "There is a lot more tactical work. I think it is something that is good to learn. We've done well this year and I think that is down to our defending as well as attacking."

Villas-Boas has converted Bale from an orthodox left-winger (and occasional left-back) into a marauding central player and the results have been devastating with a return of 13 goals in 12 games since the start of the New Year.

Well said Bale, it was obvious to many that Redknapp was a " run around a bit" manager.

Sacking Redknapp and bringing in AVB was the best thing Levy has done for years, and i said so at the time.:)

And you know I did too!!!!! In fact, I think calling for him in the Bell beer garden post-Fulham last May makes that clear! \o/
Best bit is PL that we ALL win in the end, people like us who knew it had to go another direction and other supporters who were (understandably) dazzled by Harry and what he did do for us (which was a fair amount to be sure). In the end, we will all win as Tottenham Hotspur supporters!!!!!

have some wonderful memories thanks to harry so I dont want to sound to ungrateful but for some reason unknown to me I have never wanted a manager to suceed more at our club - strange considering we had Mr Hoddle.

Regardless of whether it sounds as if he is talking from the bottom of a goldfish bowl the guy has so much class and oozes intelligence and insight. Compared to our previous regime he has brought proffesionalism - (no more calls to talksport or winding down windows) and by the looks of it a real togetherness in our squad - judging by monday night he seems to have a good relationship with the players. my other half is now convinced that Bale and AVB are in love and will not want to seperate.

I hope he stays for years and makes us stronger year on year. I hope that if we have a wobble the fans stick with him and I hope that Chelsea will continue to rue the day they let player power get avb the sack and handed us a great manager on a platter.

have some wonderful memories thanks to harry so I dont want to sound to ungrateful but for some reason unknown to me I have never wanted a manager to suceed more at our club - strange considering we had Mr Hoddle.

Regardless of whether it sounds as if he is talking from the bottom of a goldfish bowl the guy has so much class and oozes intelligence and insight. Compared to our previous regime he has brought proffesionalism - (no more calls to talksport or winding down windows) and by the looks of it a real togetherness in our squad - judging by monday night he seems to have a good relationship with the players. my other half is now convinced that Bale and AVB are in love and will not want to seperate.

I hope he stays for years and makes us stronger year on year. I hope that if we have a wobble the fans stick with him and I hope that Chelsea will continue to rue the day they let player power get avb the sack and handed us a great manager on a platter.

I have no idea who you are, but I like the cut of your jib!
=D>

I have no idea who you are, but I like the cut of your jib!
=D>

Thanks fella I have been viewing this site for over a year and decided the other day to finally register and get involved.

I have no idea who you are either but if you are a spurs fan which I think is safe to assume then I consider you to be a pal.......unless you track me down fill a brown paperbag with dog mess .....light it and then ring my doorbell.....then we might have a problem.

Back