• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Adebayor or Defoe?

Adebayor any given day

Much needed focal point, physical presence and technical guille - aspects which severely lack in JD's game. His link up play was excellent yesterday and we looked exponentially more dangerous in the final third with him around as opposed to the usual selfish turn and blast flimflam

What would a poll prove? It is all about opinions. Surely the whole point of forums is to give people an opportunity to express and explain their opinions not to just facebook "like" or whatever the opposite is.

Football is not baseball. Ade or Defoe?

Isn't that just a facebook-style dichotomy?

So Defoe, Adebayor or both?

While Adebayor might be able to play the deeper role in partnership with Defoe, he is a striker, not a midfielder, and better suited to the more advanced position. As a plan B its a good one, but not for starting, as Sigurdsson and Dempsey should be better all-round in that role. Likewise, Adebayor is better than Defoe all-round as the lone striker.

Wtf i'm surprised you would say that. Elaborate?

Anyway for home games i'd 100% play Ade but away from home, with our style of play, Defoe is going to score a lot of goals so it's a hard one.

this has got nothing to do with who i think is better overall , and everything i think is happening with AVB's choices. i get the feeling that people are motivated to play better to KEEP their shirts.

we are looking at a whole new scenario where the starting 11 isnt pre-ordained...you could get dropped if you arent playing well. as of now the guy that has been holding us down up front has been the little guy...and that IMO deserves some kind of legitamate ...prolonged acknowledgement.

if you're asking me who i would have started if the slate was clean then it would be Ade...but in the current circumstances if we had to pick one striker then dont just ditch the guy that has actually been working very hard for us despite whatever limitation we put on his shoulders that he cant help with. he's short? his movement is not as good? his hold up is not as good as davies or nial quinn? he is selfish? likes the team built around him? etc etc..even if all this were true...he has been playing well enough in a situation that should actually really hinder us...but it hasnt and i think both AVB and defoe should be praised for that

there are alot of people here that dont support the players that they dont like. throw abuses their way, judge them unfairly etc etc..defoe is in the bracket that has a lot either for or against..in an attempt to break cycle like that i would like to give the shirt to the guy that is up there when we are winning...and is playing well too

this has got nothing to do with who i think is better overall , and everything i think is happening with AVB's choices. i get the feeling that people are motivated to play better to KEEP their shirts.

we are looking at a whole new scenario where the starting 11 isnt pre-ordained...you could get dropped if you arent playing well. as of now the guy that has been holding us down up front has been the little guy...and that IMO deserves some kind of legitamate ...prolonged acknowledgement.

if you're asking me who i would have started if the slate was clean then it would be Ade...but in the current circumstances if we had to pick one striker then dont just ditch the guy that has actually been working very hard for us despite whatever limitation we put on his shoulders that he cant help with. he's short? his movement is not as good? his hold up is not as good as davies or nial quinn? he is selfish? likes the team built around him? etc etc..even if all this were true...he has been playing well enough in a situation that should actually really hinder us...but it hasnt and i think both AVB and defoe should be praised for that

there are alot of people here that dont support the players that they dont like. throw abuses their way, judge them unfairly etc etc..defoe is in the bracket that has a lot either for or against..in an attempt to break cycle like that i would like to give the shirt to the guy that is up there when we are winning...and is playing well too

Interesting argument.

Could that be part of the reason why our last two seasons ended in a slump? The starters were pre-determined if fit, possibly taking the edge off their play.

Interesting argument.

Could that be part of the reason why our last two seasons ended in a slump? The starters were pre-determined if fit, possibly taking the edge off their play.

possibly two seasons ago.

last season was clearly because redknapp was courting the england job IMO. i dont doubt that the mind numbness potential of always knowing you are going to play or who is going to play would play a part in in a lack or REAL competition for places but if winning the league or guaranteeing Champions league isnt enough motivation for you then nothing will motivate you enough outside of bonuses.

nah i do feel the difference was redknapp wanting that job. the correlation in effort , dynamic approach could be seen during the stretch when the job was available and when it wasnt

Fair enough, good post.

possibly two seasons ago.

last season was clearly because redknapp was courting the england job IMO. i dont doubt that the mind numbness potential of always knowing you are going to play or who is going to play would play a part in in a lack or REAL competition for places but if winning the league or guaranteeing Champions league isnt enough motivation for you then nothing will motivate you enough outside of bonuses.

nah i do feel the difference was redknapp wanting that job. the correlation in effort , dynamic approach could be seen during the stretch when the job was available and when it wasnt

Agreed. Last season the England job was the biggest factor. But perhaps it was such a bad slump because three factors aligned: complacency by the starters, tiredness of the starters, and the England job speculation.

On the motivation thing, this is something that puzzles me. As you say, winning the league and qualifying for the champions league should be enough motivation. But in sport it is common for people to say don't give your opponents ammunition to motivate them. Is this nonsense? I don't think so.

I suppose the nature of professional team sports is that there are lots of games and no one can play 100% in all of them. Players will be more motivated and do raise their game for the NLD or a CL game against Madrid, which logically means they are playing at a lower level in other games. The trick is to keep the level consistently high in these other games and that is where Ferguson has been so successful. The players can motivate themselves for the big games (and may need calming) but need help in the other games. Our slump argues that this was one of 'Arry's strengths.

It's ludicrous to not play 442 at home. WBA and Norwich would've resulted in victories, IMO, with 2 up top. At home 442 is the only way to play.

Didn't we play with 2 against brick opposition last season and still couldn't win?

Just because it didnt work last season doesnt mean it wont work this. The chances are it wouldnt have made much of a difference as we were brick.

At this moment in time with either Dempsey or Sig it feels like we are starting with 10 men and not 11. So I would have Defoe and Ade definitely.

Top post Affy

Ferrari or Fiat 500?

Defoe's one role now, assuming Ade stays fit, is as occasional impact sub for the last 20 minutes of away games.

Just because it didnt work last season doesnt mean it wont work this. The chances are it wouldnt have made much of a difference as we were brick.

At this moment in time with either Dempsey or Sig it feels like we are starting with 10 men and not 11. So I would have Defoe and Ade definitely.

IMO Defoe's inability to hold-up the ball and link-up play completely nullifies the #10.

It was no coincidence yesterday that Siggy finally looked a decent player the second he started playing off Ade.

IMO Defoe's inability to hold-up the ball and link-up play completely nullifies the #10.

It was no coincidence yesterday that Siggy finally looked a decent player the second he started playing off Ade.

Sig was on for ten mins - I doubt we can judge him by those ten mins against ten beaten men.

Also with Ade he tends to move from the area goes to the wings etc which means we still wouldnt have that goalscorer in the middle and if we are relying on either dempsey or Sig then its demps for me.

All other things being equal, it'd be Adebayor for me if it has to be one or the other. AS makes a good point, though, and ideally, I'd like to see AVB mixing it up and keeping them both on their toes (including use of the 4-4-2 as an option).

Back