• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Willian

Is Willian really that good ? Looking at his stats, he doesn't score many goals. He looks more like a replacement for Lennon than Bale. In his last 7 seasons, he has scored a total of 21 league goals which is the number of league goals Bale scored last year alone.

As I see it we now have 11 home grown players who got a squad number (the squad right now is 25 players): Walker, Naughton, Dawson, Rose, Fryers, Lennon, Bale, Townsend, Sigurdsson, Carroll and Defoe.
Of the remaining players I guess BAE will be sold, probably also Gomes. That leaves us with two open spaces for NOT home grown players.
If we sell Bale, we still got two more home grown than requested to fill the 25 man squad.

Is Willian really that good ? Looking at his stats, he doesn't score many goals. He looks more like a replacement for Lennon than Bale. In his last 7 seasons, he has scored a total of 21 league goals which is the number of league goals Bale scored last year alone.

The jury's out as far as I'm concerned. I haven't seen enough of him to truly judge but based on that footage I've seen he looks to have plenty of ability in beating a man but not as much end product as I'd expect for a £30mn attacking midfielder/no 10 or wide man. That's a pretty low goal return so unless his assists are sky high...
To me Lamela looks the much more exciting signing if it actually happens...

He is an assists machine. I think he's topped 15 assists in the last two seasons. Now he's got Soldado in front of him, who knows what can be achieved.

If we pay 30m for Willian then we've spent 60m net.
Factor in the extra 30m in the TV money and we've got 30m from somewhere.

We could be making up this 30m with next years TV money and not spending next year.
Or we could be banking on selling Bale next summer for 60-70m.

I dont think this depends yet on Bale going.

I agree

Looking forward to getting home from the cricket today to see him signed up and Lamela close...

Amazing window, buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing

And carroll does count. Its not just over 21s.

"A Home Grown Player means a player who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been
registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for
a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the
end of the Season during which he turns 21)."

So we could name

Shaq
Bentaleb
Stewart

lets say its true that Uncle Joe has given us a 50 mill loan. Lets add the increased tv revenue of 20 mill. Plus 25 mill raised in sales so far. thats 95 mill right there

if we sell Bale, thats another 93 mill

95 + 93 = 188 mill to spend

60 mill spent so far, another 60 mill on Lamela and Willian = 120 mill spent

188-120 = 68 mill still left to spend \o/:lol:

lets say its true that Uncle Joe has given us a 50 mill loan. Lets add the increased tv revenue of 20 mill. Plus 25 mill raised in sales so far. thats 95 mill right there

and I think if we do sell Bale we will buy again

Gallas, Parker and Bentley were some of our highest earners (probably in the £60ks). Bale and Ade (£100k) are our highest earners. Our squad is much trimmer than it has been in a long time - only Gomes now probably falls in the deadwood category

Our wage cap is 54-56% of turnover, so a handful of high earners is fine.

Cheers for the info, GB

I think we should focus on whether he can add creativity to the team in stead of scoring as he's a kind of player totally different to Bale and Lennon.

It seems Lamela does look similar to Bale.

And carroll does count. Its not just over 21s.

"A Home Grown Player means a player who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been
registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for
a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the
end of the Season during which he turns 21)."

They can be registered to fill the quota, but in effect it doesn't change anything compared to leaving a spot open in the squad (as you suggest above) or registering Ledley King in the squad as a home grown player knowing he won't ever be in a squad.

Registering a u21 player doesn't help us in any way I think.

No wonder you hate stats if you think comparing goals scored stats for two very different player types that play different positions and roles for different clubs in different leagues adds something to a comparison between a player you know very well and a player you've just about never seen play.

You of course chose to ignore the context in which I had posted those stats in and the post I had replied to (its been posted about eight times, so it may not have escaped you). A poster (name escapes me) mentioned something about Lennon being less of a goal threat than Willian - hence the stats.

It is the only information (apart from Youtube clips) that I possess in order to to discuss whether this guy is all tricks or is he actually effective in what he does ie doe he run half the length of the pitch with a few step overs and actually produces an end product? Or does he run around producing all these flicks but actually - there is no end product ie a cute through ball, or a pass inside to set Soldado free etc.

You of course chose to ignore the context in which I had posted those stats in and the post I had replied to (its been posted about eight times, so it may not have escaped you). A poster (name escapes me) mentioned something about Lennon being less of a goal threat than Willian - hence the stats.

It is the only information (apart from Youtube clips) that I possess in order to to discuss whether this guy is all tricks or is he actually effective in what he does ie doe he run half the length of the pitch with a few step overs and actually produces an end product? Or does he run around producing all these flicks but actually - there is no end product ie a cute through ball, or a pass inside to set Soldado free etc.

I stand by my criticism. Feel free to hate stats and still use them, but I really think these stats on their own tell just about nothing about how good Willian is.

It has been said several times earlier in this thread that Willian isn't likely to replace Bale in terms of goals, that Lamela would be much more likely to chip in with a significant amount of goals than Willian. But that Willian would add creativity.

Some information that I think is worth paying attention to other than stats and youtube clips:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/333811/Tottenham-to-secure-excellent-Willian-ahead-of-Liverpool-says-former-Anzhi-manager

"I've worked with him for a short time but I really, really like him. He will be an asset for whoever's going to get him,"

"If it's Spurs that's going to get him they'll get an excellent player.

"He's very versatile, he can play in different positions, he's a very creative player and an excellent professional with a very good personality.

"He's going to be a major trump card for Spurs if they can get the deal to go through.

"He can beat a player, he can score a goal. I thought he was an absolute delight to work with."

https://twitter.com/karlsentk/status/369747425030062080

it's steep but he's on of the best attacking players available on the market

Then of course there's the opinions of people on this forum that have watched him somewhat regularly.

All those tell us a lot more than an isolated goals scored stats imo.

Which is why I think there could be a possible Hulk move.

You cannot just quote player fees, add and subtract and get to a net figure

you have to factor in wages, agents, image rights and above all, amortisation over contract length

it. Makes. No. Sense. To. Quote. Net. Fee. Spend.

You cannot just quote player fees, add and subtract and get to a net figure

you have to factor in wages, agents, image rights and above all, amortisation over contract length

it. Makes. No. Sense. To. Quote. Net. Fee. Spend.

But..but...but what about the TOTALISER?

You're absolutely right about instalments and the like, so we are either selling the family silver to pay for this (Bale) or we will be pretty inactive on the next few windows and have the TV money pay the tab.

Back