• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham v Inter OMT ***

AVB should have changed things much earlier tonight than he did. Individual performances aside the whole setup from the start was tactically a mess. Sometimes things don't go as you envisage but what AVB has been pretty good at is seeing the obvious and making subs/changes in response to events on the pitch. Half time subs were needed today but he didn't act for some reason. The match this evening reminded me of the 5-2 loss to the Arse where Redknapp sat on his hands as things went down the toilet. I can't remember his exact words but they were along the lines of "they were tearing us a new one all game and I knew they would score goals". AVB needed to make some brave early decisions tonight but let the problems fester. AVB will doubtless learn from this and in particular he will have leaned a lot more about his squad. Tonight we saw almost all our weaknesses exposed. Inter picked our scab and started poking at the wound.
One thing that I cannot stomach is a player hiding on the pitch. Of all the footballing crimes I believe a player not even trying to get involved in the match is the worst. There was one player on the pitch who added absolutely nothing tonight and that was Defoe. He hid beside his marker for most of the match and rightly tinkled me off. I can forgive a lot if the player tries but half of the time he was just stood there watching the match. Not good enough, especially considering the poor run he's been on. And I would consider myself a Defoe fan.

Anyway I had to get that off my chest. fudge it, we're through.

Thats an excellent analogy. All the potential horrors we've feared for the whole season came to the surface in one game: insufficient like for like cover on the wings, no-one in midfield capable of putting their foot on the ball and showing some control and vision and no strikers.

We all knew this season that we have been one or two injuries away from looking a seriously average side and Inter exposed us tonight. If in the run in we do suffer injuries to say, Bale or Lennon and to Dembele at the same time we're toast, and we've all known it for months and months.

All the wekanesses we're ruthlessly exposed tonight; fingers crossed we don't get injuries to main players in the run and perhaps - more importantly - that we actually invest in the right areas in the preseason.

I really believe AVB is doing a magnificent job and we are currently punching above our weight (based on personel available at this moment in time) and through a combination of good management, a slice of luck and rivals having an off season, we're in a position to grab champions league football. If we could (if if if) it would set us up so beautifully to address the weaknesses and really cement ourselves up their next season.

I want to see what type of player AVB wants; i suspect it isn't Parker.

Anyway, we're through onwards and upwards. Really really really hope we can avoid English teams - rather Chelsea than Saudi Sportswashing Machine - I'm not sure I could stand it if the geordies knocked us out.

Last edited:
Disappointed we lost but delighted we still progress to the quarter finals of EL. But we really made hard work of it, as always. Was disappointed with our performance but not really surprised. This was always going to be a difficult game despite leading 3-0. Inter were not going to just let us progress easily. After getting humiliated in the first leg, they were under pressure to restore some pride. And they were always going to come at us from the start to get a few goals which they did. Our defence had been conceding easy goals all season and so not surprised we conceded a few goals here. Fortunately, we managed to get that all-important away goal to overcome Inter and progress.

This match again proves how much we need Bale. Whenever Bale is not playing or is tightly marked, our attack are always toothless. We just don't have a proper cover for him. But Dembele atleast shows he can be a match winner for us if he steps up his game. Dembele saved us against Lyon in the second leg and he has become our saviour again. It was a brilliant run and shot by Dembele which forced a good save from the Inter goalie and enabled Adebayor to tap into goal. Adebayor did well to score that but he was one of the main reason why we struggled in this match. Adebayor should have done better with the one-on-one chance in the first half. I think if Adebayor had scored that, it would have boosted our confidence and demoralised Inter. It is really annoying why Adebayor always wastes those one-on-one chance with the goalie. It was a bit risky to play both Adebayor and Defoe in attack but can understand why AVB did that. Was hoping atleast Defoe could trouble Inter but he was never in the game.

I think AVB did a mistake by playing Livermore in midfield with Parker. We should have partnered either Dembele with Parker or someone more experienced like Holtby or Hudd. Inexperienced and error-prone player like Livermore were not going to stand up against more experienced Inter midfield. This enabled Inter to dominate the midfield and put pressure on our defence. We played much better when Holtby and Lennon came on and could have score more than the 1 goal with more luck. Ofcourse, Inter almost won the tie in normal time but fortunately they wasted the one-on-one chance in the last minute.

Really disappointed with our defending in this match. With the experience of Vertonghen and Gallas, we should have done better but instead we looked shaky. Friedel too should have done better with atleast 2 of their goals. He didn't seem or organize the defence well. Was really annoyed with the way Friedel only asked 3 players to defend the freekick for their third goal. It was clear, 4 players would have defended the freekick much better. And it was not surprising that the ball deflected by the 3-man defence onto Gallas and goal. I think Lloris would have organized the defence better. Wish AVB will play Lloris in the quarter finals.

Despite the disappointing performance and score, you have to be delighted to progress to the quarter finals of the EL. Just wish we will play much better in the quarter finals, regardless of which team we will be facing. One disappointing thing is, we have now lost 2 matches in a row, after losing to Liverpool in the league. Hope we will get back to winning ways against Fulham.

Last edited:
i kinda expected Inter would play far better than in the first leg and we would be complacent with a 3 goal lead going into this game. So the result and performances were no real surprises

glad we got through to the quarters, still in with a great chance of winning the comp

I guess AVB thought aside from individual errors v Liverpool having Dembele right and Livermore central worked. Hopefully last night he learned he should never do that again. We do need a serious alternative to no Lennon or Bale now. It's getting silly how much we struggle when either are out or off form.

got to say that Cassano was unplayable. A goal, 3 assists, plus was involved in other Inter chances. World class performance last night

If we were to go all the way would he stick with Friedel?

I thought Friedel made a few very good saves last night but there wasn't much he could have done about our woeful defending.

Perhaps if Lloris was in goal Inter might have scored a goal or two fewer, perhaps not.

Lewis Holtbys fb status after the game:

"OMG, sorry for our performance, I guess it's sometimes unexplainable! Well we are through, main thing! COYS"

Lewis Holtbys fb status after the game:

"OMG, sorry for our performance, I guess it's sometimes unexplainable! Well we are through, main thing! COYS"

Gareth Bale ‏@GarethBale11
We don't do it the easy way... well done lads #quarterfinals

---------------------------

Aaron Lennon ‏@Aaron7Lennon
Lucky to go through tonight but we are and that's all what matters now, great support again out here, get home safely everyone #COYS

---------------------------------

Sorry to bump this. The game is over and we are through but I felt like posting my comments and giving it closure.
The starting XI was understandable. If we score once they have to score 5 times. However the one big mistake IMO was Parker-I would have started Hudd, maybe Carroll.
I also think that Caulker was a better option than Verts. Steve has played many international games away and he has not had a game recently.
Holtby disappointed again. I think he will need to be eased into the team carefully.
Naughton and Livermore did OK and that game will have helped them.
Onwards and upwards!!!!!!!!

UEFA has announced that a disciplinary case is to be opened against Inter Milan, following reports of fans racially abusing Tottenham players during last Thursday's Europa League game at the San Siro.

Spurs striker Emmanuel Adebayor was reportedly the subject of much of the abuse, with some fans apparently making monkey chants and another waving an inflatable banana.

The Togo striker scored in extra-time of the last-16, second leg match to help Spurs advance on away goals after the tie finished 4-4 on aggregate.

UEFA has confirmed it is investigating "racist behaviour of supporters, insufficient organisation and the throwing of missiles and/or fireworks."

The abuse was reported to UEFA by the match delegate and anti-discrimination body FARE and the case will be dealt with on April 19.

Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas said after the game: "It was very, very easy to hear the chanting so I am sure that UEFA will act on it.

"It's difficult for Inter Milan because it is something that in some way has happened before. It doesn't mar the game but it is something that should have been avoided."

Tottenham's director of football administration Darren Eales had also urged UEFA to act, telling Sky Sports News: "It is terrible and has no place in football.

"It is a problem that football has had over time...in England from a fans retrospective we are perhaps in a better place than some of the other countries.

"I think it is important for UEFA to set a precedent and they lead European governance and it is important for them to make a stand."

http://www.teamtalk.com/tottenham-hotspur/8575656/UEFA-opens-disciplinary-case-against-Inter-Milan-over-alleged-racial-abuse

£3.75 fine for Inter Milan for racist chanting and a £5k fine for Ade for being black and causing the racism are the likely outcomes knowing UEFA

Back