• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I don’t mind him going to another PL team if they are the highest bidders.

It’s not a given that another team can plug him in and get the same level of performance from him that we’ve seen in our system.

Where ever he has played the defence has had either the best or 2nd best record in their respective league for about 6/7 years in a row, that’s no accident. Assuming he’s fit, he’s one of the best centre halves in the world and would massively improve any defensive unit. He’s a huge upgrade on Stones, Smalling etc. Makes no sense to sell him to a Manchester club when they are both in dire need of a top quality centre half. Might as well sell Kane to United and get it other with as they need an upgrade on Lukaku. Might as well do them two favours rather than one.

Where ever he has played the defence has had either the best or 2nd best record in their respective league for about 6/7 years in a row, that’s no accident. Assuming he’s fit, he’s one of the best centre halves in the world and would massively improve any defensive unit. He’s a huge upgrade on Stones, Smalling etc. Makes no sense to sell him to a Manchester club when they are both in dire need of a top quality centre half. Might as well sell Kane to United and get it other with as they need an upgrade on Lukaku. Might as well do them two favours rather than one.

Depends how bad his hamstring is damaged....
This will affect everything to do Toby now and in the future.

Depends how bad his hamstring is damaged....
This will affect everything to do Toby now and in the future.

COuld be a huge reason his team are trying to get as much as they can now for him.

This is a huge factor is what people have no clue on, I have seen so much going on twitter for Levy out etc over this, but what if he is fooked?

COuld be a huge reason his team are trying to get as much as they can now for him.

This is a huge factor is what people have no clue on, I have seen so much going on twitter for Levy out etc over this, but what if he is fooked?

People never cease to show me how beyond stupid they are.

Now that's not true.............. you obviously work hard at it as well.

Just a joke mate, I know we have our difference of opinion, but that' all it is, a difference of opinion, we see things differently.

Haha no I know mate, I love it, all about seeing things through different eyes

I know we have a pay ceiling etc. But the cost of replacing the quality that we have on Toby would cost us even more for that single player.

Lets guess that we have to pay above what we paid for Sanchez. so 40m then 4 years of 77k a week is 16m in wages. So total outlay of 56m to replace him. Where as if we give him a compromise. Lets say 130k a week and hope he accepts that is a total outlay of 27m for a new 4 year contract.

I realize it means other players will come calling. But that is going to happen anyway.

It feels a little bit like we might bite our own face off to spite ourselves.

I know we have a pay ceiling etc. But the cost of replacing the quality that we have on Toby would cost us even more for that single player.

Lets guess that we have to pay above what we paid for Sanchez. so 40m then 4 years of 77k a week is 16m in wages. So total outlay of 56m to replace him. Where as if we give him a compromise. Lets say 130k a week and hope he accepts that is a total outlay of 27m for a new 4 year contract.

I realize it means other players will come calling. But that is going to happen anyway.

It feels a little bit like we might bite our own face off to spite ourselves.
The major difference being, of course, that if we've refused to raise the ceiling for Alderweireld we can refuse to raise it for them.

The club hold most of the cards, the players only real recourse is to strike and insist on being sold. But I think a compromise will be found if Poch wants to keep him and Tobys side have some flexibility. Makes sense from both sides.

Two things could scupper a deal, Toby wants a move to an elite club, and we want our yearly big money in transfer. The former is more likely imo.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The major difference being, of course, that if we've refused to raise the ceiling for Alderweireld we can refuse to raise it for them.

What about if we refused to raise it for Kane? I don't expect us to pay Emirates Marketing Project/United wages but the new stadium is going to increase our revenue. Not to mention the tv deal. We really can't stand still on this.

No doubt that as with any (large) company there will be an overall budget already in place to account for wage increases. There’s probably a bit of stretch possible but there will be figures in mind for each player. As well as Toby we are apparently currently negotiating contract extensions with Vertonghen, Eriksen and Son. Plus new contracts in the summer for Kane and Dele. So whilst there may be room to give Toby closer to his (alleged) demands, that will come out of the overall budget, meaning cutting back on what we will be able to offer the others. That’s where Levy - and Poch - have to start making tough decisions.
It still feels like there’s plenty of time for both sides to work something out, if the will is there.

I admire the way we run our club. We're trying to follow the example the likes of Atletico Madrid and Dortmund have set. I get that we are trying to build a system and a foundation where no one player is irreplacable but there's only so many times you can keep replacing your top players before it catches up with you. I mentioned Dortmund above but they are a shadow of the side they were 4-5 years ago due to the turnover they have experienced. Southampton look like a good bet to go down this season. They were a top 6 side only two seasons ago but they've lost so many players and haven't replaced them.

If we wanted to replace Toby with someone of similar quality and age, how much would it cost? Probably close to £80m. Or we could sign someone young but they won't reach Toby's level for a couple of years. We are in a position to challenge honours now.

Back