• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

honestly its a terrible idea to contemplate letting hm go. Yes you could argue we have done ok, but Davinson would benefit immensely from having Alderweireld around for a season or two longer, after which Davinson comes out the other side as a ready-to-go centre back up to the necessary level to win a league. I've said it before, what ultimately are we in this game for? I know we just love seeing our team come win, lose or draw and we have many reasons that tie us to the club. But surely the ultimate aim of every football club ever to exist would be to win and get to the top. What a magnificent squad we have put together. Why let it break apart now when who knows how long it will take us to find replacements for these players ready to compete at this level?

I'm fed up of making business decisions ahead of football ones at a time when we are so close. We also had the 11th highest profit margin of any club in the world. Push it now Daniel, make the most of the opportunity that has been presented to us, be bold and back Pochettino a little more and make that last push that could see us give us one of our defining moments in our history.

Toby is a little unlucky, in that his injuries and (however small) something of a decline have happened with all the other circumstances as they are - good replacements, success without him etc. I think he may be the last player that we let leave to get a final big contract elsewhere because other players will sign new deals when we’re in the new stadium, and will have good fitness records with the club happy to shell out. Toby can quite justifiably claim he deserves some top money but we can also claim it may not be the right time to make that happen for him.

After this summer, I think we’ll do pretty well at keeping our key players unless Barca or Real have a first 11 space for one of them. Levy pushing it will be seen because of the new stadium - it will change the game for us.

honestly its a terrible idea to contemplate letting hm go. Yes you could argue we have done ok, but Davinson would benefit immensely from having Alderweireld around for a season or two longer, after which Davinson comes out the other side as a ready-to-go centre back up to the necessary level to win a league. I've said it before, what ultimately are we in this game for? I know we just love seeing our team come win, lose or draw and we have many reasons that tie us to the club. But surely the ultimate aim of every football club ever to exist would be to win and get to the top. What a magnificent squad we have put together. Why let it break apart now when who knows how long it will take us to find replacements for these players ready to compete at this level?

I'm fed up of making business decisions ahead of football ones at a time when we are so close. We also had the 11th highest profit margin of any club in the world. Push it now Daniel, make the most of the opportunity that has been presented to us, be bold and back Pochettino a little more and make that last push that could see us give us one of our defining moments in our history.
The same was said in 2011. Yet here we are 7 years later and in a much stronger and long-term sustainable position than we were back then. I know we all want to see results now, but maybe standing firm vs Toby and suffering a less-than-stellar season while our two young CBs bed in might be better long-term. Because it will show that the club will not kowtow to any player and will continue to be run on the same principles that got it where it is today.

Honestly if we need a replacement for him we can just go back to ajax again.

If we are looking in prem league then Maguire or Mawson are both players who would look good under Poch, both play out from the back.

There is no adequate replacement for Alderweireld really. I love Foyth and Sanchez but they are not at his level yet and may not be for a few seasons, nor ever if truth be told. Selling Alderweireld may be something we have to do but that decision if it happens is not be a footballing one.

There is no adequate replacement for Alderweireld really. I love Foyth and Sanchez but they are not at his level yet and may not be for a few seasons, nor ever if truth be told. Selling Alderweireld may be something we have to do but that decision if it happens is not be a footballing one.
Sometimes non-footballing decisions are as important, if not more important than footballing ones. Consider a team where the best player (we're talking Ronaldo/Suarez level here) throws a strop before the most crucial game of the season. The correct footballing decision would be to play him. But the correct decision would be to bench him. I'm not saying Toby threw a strop, but you get the gist...

It could be a footballing decision if the manager thinks he's peaked or the squad needs freshening up.

Martin Samuel just made a good point. It’s irrelevant whether we are weakened or not by selling Toby. It’s about stop strengthening your rivals. Did the same with Walker, solving one of Emirates Marketing Project’s problems. Don’t want to do the same with Toby and solve one of Man Utd’s or Liverpool’s problems in the process....

I really don't see what the issue is here,
He's injured,
We haven't qualified for CL yet
It's not certain we will move into the stadium on time,
All issues that weaken his hand, so why would he be keen to die a deal up just now.
Get over his injury and into CL and he's in the box seat, add in the increased revenue and it becomes a simple, 'i'm worth it, you've got it and can earn it so pay It'.
At this point there's nothing to see here.

Honestly if we need a replacement for him we can just go back to ajax again.

If we are looking in prem league then Maguire or Mawson are both players who would look good under Poch, both play out from the back.

They are both left sided central defenders, tend to play on the left of the partnership. I would say Maguire especially would be a good replacement for Vertonghen

Tarkowski at Burnley is the one to keep an eye on. Right sided, strong, solid defender and someone Poch could take to the next level.

Poch is key here. He works wonders with defenders and someone like Alderweireld has become so good because of Poch.

It could be a footballing decision if the manager thinks he's peaked or the squad needs freshening up.

Those same arguments were thrown up when the Walker exit rumours gathered pace.

Alderweireld hasn't peaked and I don't think Poch wants to sell his best defender to freshen things up.

Poch it seems is a realist and pragmatic. If he sees that the club cannot afford to increase one of his players wages or the player is tempted to go elsewhere then Poch will accept it and start making plans for life without him. By all accounts he wants 150% commitment from his players and staff.

If Alderweireld tomorrow agrees a new 5 year contract then I think Poch would be the ecstatic.

I guess it could either of those but from a outsider's perspective I don't see those being a likely reason at this point. Alderweireld is coming into his prime years so I would like him to peak for us and not someone else. It is more than likely that this is just an impasse over money.

Last edited:
Sometimes non-footballing decisions are as important, if not more important than footballing ones. Consider a team where the best player (we're talking Ronaldo/Suarez level here) throws a strop before the most crucial game of the season. The correct footballing decision would be to play him. But the correct decision would be to bench him. I'm not saying Toby threw a strop, but you get the gist...
A rather extreme example but if that is the case then Poch will ruthlessly cull the player from the squad as he has already done before. Who knows what is going on behind the scenes but the squad harmony seems good from all accounts so in this case I would tend to think contract talks are stalling for money reasons, plain and simple. On pure footballing ability it is a no brainer for me.

Martin Samuel just made a good point. It’s irrelevant whether we are weakened or not by selling Toby. It’s about stop strengthening your rivals. Did the same with Walker, solving one of Emirates Marketing Project’s problems. Don’t want to do the same with Toby and solve one of Man Utd’s or Liverpool’s problems in the process....

Exactly this. I could live with him going abroad but selling him to one of our PL rivals would be completely idiotic.

Exactly this. I could live with him going abroad but selling him to one of our PL rivals would be completely idiotic.
Yeah, if we’re thinking big then we’d still be strengthening one of our CL rivals as he’d likely still go to one of the big teams in Europe, but definitely more bearable....

Back