• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

It is worrying that Toby had a very deep, serious hamstring injury. They brought him back very slowly to ensure he did not have a recurrent problem. He said so himself. And he has injured the same hamstring I believe? That puts everything up in the air because it might be fine next year, it might be a big issue forever more.

Notice that a 38 year old came on for Palace today, 38! A rubbish one. Lots of time left for Toby.

I remember when Ehiogu and Southgate were getting old at Villa and were sold on... Spurs passed up the chance and they went to Boro and went on to forge a great partnership again, for a few years. We should have paid up for those 2, back in the day. Solid centrebacks are so massively important, like strikers.

It is worrying that Toby had a very deep, serious hamstring injury. They brought him back very slowly to ensure he did not have a recurrent problem. He said so himself. And he has injured the same hamstring I believe? That puts everything up in the air because it might be fine next year, it might be a big issue forever more.

Notice that a 38 year old came on for Palace today, 38! A rubbish one. Lots of time left for Toby.

I remember when Ehiogu and Southgate were getting old at Villa and were sold on... Spurs passed up the chance and they went to Boro and went on to forge a great partnership again, for a few years. We should have paid up for those 2, back in the day. Solid centrebacks are so massively important, like strikers.

Where did you hear he did his hamstring again?

Where did you hear he did his hamstring again?
Hmm, true. The quote was vague. VERY vague. Vague like only Poch can be vague. Vague to the point of worrying... why not say it was his ankle, calf, knee, shin, bum if it wasn't his hamstring?

“He suffered a small incident in the same leg (as the hamstring injury), but we are going to assess him (on Friday and Saturday).

“We will see if he is available for training and if possible be selected for the weekend. We hope it is not a big issue.”

EDIT

I just Googled this in the mirror. Still very vague. Sounds more promising though

“I think it was only Toby who could not finish the training session,” said Pochettino.

“He suffered a small incident in the same leg, but we are going to assess [him. It is in the same leg but I think it is a different area. We will see if he is available for training and if possible be selected for the weekend. We hope it is not a big issue.”

FWIW, the latest Deloitte Money League figures...
DUsnjTCW0AAE1Nq.jpg

How do Liverpool earn £24m more in matchday revenue than us, that's over 50% more than ours. I know their stadium is bigger but our ticket prices are far higher.

I would have expected a better tv

Not paying him enough! Showing the world how hard up he is!

Was Toby on the bench today?

Its in his interests to get a new contract signed off. Hopefully both parties can compromise. We could in theory run down his contract and he'd only be able to leave aged 31 for 25m which won't be to his liking. Or sign a new contract and earn a fair wedge with us. It won't be VDV pool level, but only a handful achieve such astronomical wages. Got to be only 5 to 10 clubs who could pay those silly amounts.

honestly its a terrible idea to contemplate letting hm go. Yes you could argue we have done ok, but Davinson would benefit immensely from having Alderweireld around for a season or two longer, after which Davinson comes out the other side as a ready-to-go centre back up to the necessary level to win a league. I've said it before, what ultimately are we in this game for? I know we just love seeing our team come win, lose or draw and we have many reasons that tie us to the club. But surely the ultimate aim of every football club ever to exist would be to win and get to the top. What a magnificent squad we have put together. Why let it break apart now when who knows how long it will take us to find replacements for these players ready to compete at this level?

I'm fed up of making business decisions ahead of football ones at a time when we are so close. We also had the 11th highest profit margin of any club in the world. Push it now Daniel, make the most of the opportunity that has been presented to us, be bold and back Pochettino a little more and make that last push that could see us give us one of our defining moments in our history.

Great post! If we are unwilling to pay him £140k as its been reported or a similar amount then we'll end up losing Eriksen, Alli, Kane etc in a couple of years in addition to Toby. Not saying we should be paying Emirates Marketing Project type wages but there must be some room to increase the structure surely? I don't expect us to pay everyone over £100k a week but I expect us to pay our top players the market rate or as close to it as possible.

I really like Sanchez and was blown away with how quickly he aclimatized to the premier league but he's been a bit dodgy since xmas, not every game but he's had some shaky moments in the majority of those games. He's still young and learning so mistakes will happen which is another reason why we can't afford to let Toby go as Sanchez isn't ready to be starting every game in back four. He could do with playing alongside Toby for at least a couple more years. We'd be left with Vertonghen, Foyth who is even younger than Sanchez and we have no idea if he's good enough as he hasn't had enough game time and Dier whose passing is too suspect and limited to be playing CB regularly.

Great post! If we are unwilling to pay him £140k as its been reported or a similar amount then we'll end up losing Eriksen, Alli, Kane etc in a couple of years in addition to Toby. Not saying we should be paying Emirates Marketing Project type wages but there must be some room to increase the structure surely? I don't expect us to pay everyone over £100k a week but I expect us to pay our top players the market rate or as close to it as possible.

I really like Sanchez and was blown away with how quickly he aclimatized to the premier league but he's been a bit dodgy since xmas, not every game but he's had some shaky moments in the majority of those games. He's still young and learning so mistakes will happen which is another reason why we can't afford to let Toby go as Sanchez isn't ready to be starting every game in back four. He could do with playing alongside Toby for at least a couple more years. We'd be left with Vertonghen, Foyth who is even younger than Sanchez and we have no idea if he's good enough as he hasn't had enough game time and Dier whose passing is too suspect and limited to be playing CB regularly.

I disagree mate,
Kane, Alli, Eriksen, etc, are all going to get big raises this summer. They will be happy.
We have to be smart.
And as of this moment, over a two season period, Toby has been hurt a fair amount and found form harder to discover this season, perhaps due to fitness stuff? If he has had another minor breakdown, if he is out for another few weeks, it could be massive. We cannot (IMO) commit over 21 million in basic wages over three years to a player who will have continual injury issues.
It is clear that Poch rates Dier very highly, and highly as a CB. I believe there will be another bought in if we do not re-sign Toby, there is certainly a plan back there in. c case he doesn't accept whatever offer we are making.

One of the biggest problems we have had the last two windows, is we cannot convince A grade to come here because we have such a "set" first 17. I think that if there are places the club feel upgrades can be made on a variety of factors (fitness, age versus demands and what-not) they will make them. So if we do not agree to Toby's requested sum (whatever it is) and he won't compromise, I think the decision will also have been made in football terms. Because a fit and healthy Toby is worth the money and everyone agrees with that...

I disagree mate,
Kane, Alli, Eriksen, etc, are all going to get big raises this summer. They will be happy.
We have to be smart.
And as of this moment, over a two season period, Toby has been hurt a fair amount and found form harder to discover this season, perhaps due to fitness stuff? If he has had another minor breakdown, if he is out for another few weeks, it could be massive. We cannot (IMO) commit over 21 million in basic wages over three years to a player who will have continual injury issues.
It is clear that Poch rates Dier very highly, and highly as a CB. I believe there will be another bought in if we do not re-sign Toby, there is certainly a plan back there in. c case he doesn't accept whatever offer we are making.

I get he has had injury concerns but I don't recall fitness being a major issue over the course of his career. Yes we've done well without him but our defence looks so much more solid when he is in the team. Sanchez is quality but he's still young and for me, not quite ready to be starting every game in a back four.

Toby is one of our 5 best players in my opinion so we be willing to make him one of the highest paid players at the club if what you say is true about us rewarding Alli, Eriksen and Kane with improved contracts this summer.

I don't rate Dier as a CB. He's a very effective DM but his range of passing is limited and he makes too many mistakes on the ball to be a CB. I like him but he's a MASSIVE step down from Toby.

If we flog him to a Spanish side for example, I won't be happy about it but I'll accept it. The thought of selling him to one of the Manchester clubs is totally absurd and counter-productive to what we are trying to achieve. United and Emirates Marketing Project have issues at CB, it's their weakest position in my eyes. Why would we voluntarily want to improve them in that regard when we are trying to compete for the title with them? Especially for as little as £25m. That's peanuts for a top quality CB these days. It looks highly likely that Rose will be leaving this summer also, that could be potentially three players we have sold to direct title rivals in 12 months. As Diego said, it's time we stopped making business decisions ahead of football decisions. Even as a business decision, it stinks!

I get he has had injury concerns but I don't recall fitness being a major issue over the course of his career. Yes we've done well without him but our defence looks so much more solid when he is in the team. Sanchez is quality but he's still young and for me, not quite ready to be starting every game in a back four.

Toby is one of our 5 best players in my opinion so we be willing to make him one of the highest paid players at the club if what you say is true about us rewarding Alli, Eriksen and Kane with improved contracts this summer.

I don't rate Dier as a CB. He's a very effective DM but his range of passing is limited and he makes too many mistakes on the ball to be a CB. I like him but he's a MASSIVE step down from Toby.

If we flog him to a Spanish side for example, I won't be happy about it but I'll accept it. The thought of selling him to one of the Manchester clubs is totally absurd and counter-productive to what we are trying to achieve. United and Emirates Marketing Project have issues at CB, it's their weakest position in my eyes. Why would we voluntarily want to improve them in that regard when we are trying to compete for the title with them? Especially for as little as £25m. That's peanuts for a top quality CB these days. It looks highly likely that Rose will be leaving this summer also, that could be potentially three players we have sold to direct title rivals in 12 months. As Diego said, it's time we stopped making business decisions ahead of football decisions. Even as a business decision, it stinks!

An interesting discussion for sure, and one we will doubtless revisit as the summer gets closer. I think it is important where he gets sold if he gets sold, so agreed there.

An interesting discussion for sure, and one we will doubtless revisit as the summer gets closer. I think it is important where he gets sold if he gets sold, so agreed there.

If he goes it will be this summer and abroad IMO

We won’t sell another player to an English side as I think we will have learned a lesson

Only issue is how many European teams rate him as highly as we value him

If he goes it will be this summer and abroad IMO

We won’t sell another player to an English side as I think we will have learned a lesson

Only issue is how many European teams rate him as highly as we value him

Think A.Madrid would want him back, might not get the same fee from them as we would an English club but it is something the club should think about.

I don’t mind him going to another PL team if they are the highest bidders.

It’s not a given that another team can plug him in and get the same level of performance from him that we’ve seen in our system.

Back