• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I admire the way we run our club. We're trying to follow the example the likes of Atletico Madrid and Dortmund have set. I get that we are trying to build a system and a foundation where no one player is irreplacable but there's only so many times you can keep replacing your top players before it catches up with you. I mentioned Dortmund above but they are a shadow of the side they were 4-5 years ago due to the turnover they have experienced. Southampton look like a good bet to go down this season. They were a top 6 side only two seasons ago but they've lost so many players and haven't replaced them.

If we wanted to replace Toby with someone of similar quality and age, how much would it cost? Probably close to £80m. Or we could sign someone young but they won't reach Toby's level for a couple of years. We are in a position to challenge honours now.

Dortmund though sold to Bayern

We should not sell to a rival

I know we have a pay ceiling etc. But the cost of replacing the quality that we have on Toby would cost us even more for that single player.

Lets guess that we have to pay above what we paid for Sanchez. so 40m then 4 years of 77k a week is 16m in wages. So total outlay of 56m to replace him. Where as if we give him a compromise. Lets say 130k a week and hope he accepts that is a total outlay of 27m for a new 4 year contract.

I realize it means other players will come calling. But that is going to happen anyway.

It feels a little bit like we might bite our own face off to spite ourselves.
It would cost us more, but if we get a 20/21-year old that reaches Toby level in 4 years we'd have an £80m player on our hands. With Toby we'll have a £15m player at best. So if you do that math, you're looking at Toby costing us £12m and the other player making us £23m in your example.

It's always better to retain talent, of course, than to discover new talent, but just wanted to offer a different perspective.

And changed managers. Atletico is a better example of what we can become with the same manager in charge. Maybe not perennial league winners, but a strong team that can challenge and win on the odd occasion, and make the CL semis and final too.

Barcelona monitoring Toby Alderweireld as Tottenham contract talks stall

The Belgian centre-half's contract runs out in 2020 but has a clause that will allow him to leave for £25m in summer 2019 if no new deal is agreed

toby-alderweireld.jpg

Toby Alderweireld's future at Tottenham remains unclear Getty
Barcelona are monitoring Toby Alderweireld's situation at Tottenham Hotspur, with a view to a serious bid in the summer.

The Belgian centre-half's contract runs out in 2020 but has a clause that will allow him to leave for £25m in summer 2019 if no new deal is agreed.

There is currently an impasse in negotiations, and initial hopes that the 28-year-old would agree to a new deal have receded of late, with a considerable difference in position on wages.

Sources close to the situation maintain that Alderweireld's representatives see Virgil van Dijk's deal with Liverpool as setting a new baseline for top defenders, and that they would want a deal closer to his reported wage of £180,000 a week.

The ongoing inability to strike a deal has piqued Barcelona's interest, and they are willing to make an offer in the summer if no new contract is agreed.

Spurs' position will be weakened, given that they would have to sell for £25m in 2019.

Manchester United also have an interest in Alderweireld, but there is understood to be a reluctance at the Old Trafford club to deal with Daniel Levy

And changed managers. Atletico is a better example of what we can become with the same manager in charge. Maybe not perennial league winners, but a strong team that can challenge and win on the odd occasion, and make the CL semis and final too.
Agreed
New stadium
Dynamic manager
Sleeping giant (ok maybe not)
Very big on their own players

Does seem like he'll be off. Be great if we can extend his contract but if not, Levy will just sell him for as much as we can get and we've already signed his replacement (Sanchez). The defence is doing fine without Toby, though would be better with him playing and on form. I trust Levy and Poch to sort it, one way or another.

Yes, but the better we get, the more "all of Europe" are our rivals e.g. if Emirates Marketing Project sold Aguero to Barca they would be worried about bolstering a European rival. Hopefully we'll be there one day.
I know it is a stretch, but in SOME ways selling to any top club in Europe is a negative for Spurs e.g. we sell to Barca and they sell somebody to Liverpool or the Gooners

I don’t really understand why we have reached this point with Alderweireld, when we have been so good at tying up contracts with all other players. Let’s not forget that recently many were still calling him the best CB in the league.

Is it because he’s demanding more money than Kane? Or is it because we know he has major injury issues and so we want to sell before they get any worse?

Or is it something else? Can’t see any other reason we’d be in this unique position with him.

Alderweireld is one of the main reason why we were fighting for league title for the last 2 seasons. It is hard to find a reliable defender like Alderweireld nowadays. So, it will be stupid if we cannot keep him for whatever reasons.

Back