• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I don’t think it’s an idiotic think to say that we could replace a declining Toby. Maybe a few years ago, when our manager’s system was entirely dependent on one player (be it Carrick, Berbatov, Modric) and that manager showed little to no capacity to adapt, then losing the player would be something of a disaster.

Now though, we’ve already shown we can beat top teams without Toby, have other players that can come in, and have a manager that has shown he can adapt if he needs to buy. I don’t think we need to worry, we either get a nice fee for him or he signs up and we have a great selection of defenders. Either way, we’ll be ok. The era of our success being tied to how long one player decides he is willing to stay here is over.

I don’t think it’s an idiotic think to say that we could replace a declining Toby. Maybe a few years ago, when our manager’s system was entirely dependent on one player (be it Carrick, Berbatov, Modric) and that manager showed little to no capacity to adapt, then losing the player would be something of a disaster.

Now though, we’ve already shown we can beat top teams without Toby, have other players that can come in, and have a manager that has shown he can adapt if he needs to buy. I don’t think we need to worry, we either get a nice fee for him or he signs up and we have a great selection of defenders. Either way, we’ll be ok. The era of our success being tied to how long one player decides he is willing to stay here is over.

I totally agree and that is what I love about Poch and this current side. He has set us up to be a proper football club.

His agent said so iirc, or Toby said it......it was in the Belgian press which then made its way to the English media

The latest leak said that talks were deadlocked over wages which suggests that there have been talks and we have made a firm offer.

Do you normally see concrete quotes regarding contract negotiations? It's in neither parties interest to keep the public up to speed...

Like I said it was Toby or his agent who said there had been no talks or offer. It was a while back but they did mention it to the press

Like I said it was Toby or his agent who said there had been no talks or offer. It was a while back but they did mention it to the press

It'd be great if you could find a link to one of the stories, it is a bit difficult to discuss otherwise.

With Poch bigging up Verts, Sanchez and Foyth today, is he preparing us for a Toby exit?

Could be any number of reasons tbf possibly a message to Alderwiereld that we are happy with our options in CB so won't be held ransom on a contract?

honestly its a terrible idea to contemplate letting hm go. Yes you could argue we have done ok, but Davinson would benefit immensely from having Alderweireld around for a season or two longer, after which Davinson comes out the other side as a ready-to-go centre back up to the necessary level to win a league. I've said it before, what ultimately are we in this game for? I know we just love seeing our team come win, lose or draw and we have many reasons that tie us to the club. But surely the ultimate aim of every football club ever to exist would be to win and get to the top. What a magnificent squad we have put together. Why let it break apart now when who knows how long it will take us to find replacements for these players ready to compete at this level?

I'm fed up of making business decisions ahead of football ones at a time when we are so close. We also had the 11th highest profit margin of any club in the world. Push it now Daniel, make the most of the opportunity that has been presented to us, be bold and back Pochettino a little more and make that last push that could see us give us one of our defining moments in our history.

Back