• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - number 10, attacking midfielder, second striker

Who is the best #10, AM or second striker to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Got to be in. Bale gave us a couple of blinding seasons and £85M

4 average seasons, 2 excellent seasons

5.5 seasons at LW (or LB) and 0.5 seasons more central. He went back to playing as a winger at Madrid too.

I think he'll win at LW, but he is absolutely a winger, not a #10.

Gascoigne was bought and sold for record fees in his day too. So was Greaves

Exactly, and they will be in polls for positions that they played in for us when they commanded those fees. I'd vote for Bale on the left, but he deserves to be in the poll for number 10 imo.

Exactly, and they will be in polls for positions that they played in for us when they commanded those fees. I'd vote for Bale on the left, but he deserves to be in the poll for number 10 imo.

Why though? It will just skew the vote. Younger posters may end up split 4 ways then between him, Gascoigne, Sheringham and Rafa, which could allow another player from the 60s in etc.

Put him up in his proper position - LW

Or otherwise, why not all of Klinsmann, Lineker, Berbatov, Archibald, Smith, Chivers, C Allen and L Allen as second strikers, as none of them are going to beat Greaves at CF?

Why though? It will just skew the vote. Younger posters may end up split 4 ways then between him, Gascoigne, Sheringham and Rafa, which could allow another player from the 60s in etc.

Put him up in his proper position - LW

His proper position for us was just as much number 10 as left wing. I remember when some of our fans thought they knew better and chanted "he playyyyyyyys on the lefffftttt" and this was when Harry was in charge and first tried him in different positions.

Why would you want to dismiss the best ever season of one of our best ever players?

And anybody voting for VdV needs to have their head tested. Good player, but nowhere near the class of these others.

4 average seasons, 2 excellent seasons

5.5 seasons at LW (or LB) and 0.5 seasons more central. He went back to playing as a winger at Madrid too.

I think he'll win at LW, but he is absolutely a winger, not a #10.

Gareth Bale at Spurs...

Two (10-11 and 11-12) excellent seasons at LW.
One (12-13) world class season at CAM
He was also very good for the half season he played in 09-10 at LW. The first half he was injured/out of favour/in the curse.
His first season started off really well at LB, but for two-thirds of it he was basically injured.

So to say he only had two good seasons with us is not accurate at all IMO and actually downplays just how good he was for us. But I do agree he should be classed as a LW.

I'm sympathetic towards including Bale in this poll. He did play there (for longer than GB's half a season claim) and played very well there. I won't be voting for him though and don't think others should either.

In my mind it is a choice between Gazza, Gilzean and Sheringham. I don't think VDV is in the same class as these 3, while we really only saw Peters in the latter part of his career when he was in decline. Bale only played in the central position in his last year at Spurs and should only really be considered for the left side position.

Gazza would be the choice for me.

Ginola on the left, Bale behind the striker. The two of them can swap positions willy nilly.

Van der Vaart should also get a mention for me.

It can be argued that if Bale had stayed in that position longer at Spurs - he could have done much more. For me, that was his best position and I will vote for him in that slot.

It can be argued that if Bale had stayed in that position longer at Spurs - he could have done much more. For me, that was his best position and I will vote for him in that slot.

It would certainly be true if we were picking great players who once played for Spurs but I don't think that is a relevant argument when we are picking an all time best Spurs team.

No - IIRC that was Redknapp's clumsy experiment with inverted wingers - Bale had a few games at RW with Lennon at LW

I think that you are being a little unkind there. Redknapp played him right along the three behind the striker and when we were playing at our best the three were very fluid.

I'm sympathetic towards including Bale in this poll. He did play there (for longer than GB's half a season claim) and played very well there. I won't be voting for him though and don't think others should either.

That's how I see it. He deserves to be in the poll for this position, but I won't vote for him.

Back