• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - number 10, attacking midfielder, second striker

Who is the best #10, AM or second striker to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Surely we can just have Hoddle in the team twice?.... I would pay double to watch a team with two Glenn Hoddle's in it!

I wish, I worked in M/C for a while and travelled down to the Lane for the home games. In those days it was hard to get team information and was usually when I was half way down the M1 before we got any news, I was gutted on the occasions when they said that Hoddle would miss the game. I used to love watching him in the kick about and to hear he would not be playing always put me on a downer for a while.

It's between 3 players imo: Gazza, Teddy and Peters.

Teddy is one of my favourite ever Spurs players. Gazza was a genius but for a short time (imo). Peters was a World Cup winner (scored in the final) and won the Uefa Cup with us too. From what I have read about him, he'd be the perfect number 10 for the modern 4-2-3-1 system.

John Pratt 415

The bolded ones are those selected and we have six of the top seven. Tom Morris played from 1899-1912 so there is no one alive who can assess him. Ditchburn and Norman were kept out of the team by players above them on the list. Beal, Dimmock and Gilzean have been mentioned, but no one said anything about John Pratt.

He spent 415 games as the default spacegoat, that's why. I liked him; he was an industrious player who did a lot of the dirty work for other, more skilled players, but I would not rank him as high as, say, Paul Allen or Steve Hodge, never mind some of the genuine greats we have in midfield.

It may be heresy, but I think Gazza was a more complete player than Hoddle. There is not much to choose between them in terms of passing and dribbling - GHod shades the former, Gazza the latter - but Gazza wins on heading, work rate, tackling (admittedly often kamikaze), cheating, fouling and sheer will to win.

GHod obviously wins on brains :)

I'm too young to remember John White, but as a key player of the Double side he's got to be nominated.

Did we decide in the end Modric was not suitable for this position? He's not one of the world's great goalscorers, is he?

I'm glad to see Martin Peters get a mention, but deep down inside I still regard him as a West Ham player.

No one going to nominate Harry Kane? I think 10 is his best position.

For me, the players in the mix for this position include Gascoigne, Bale, Van der Vaart and Sheringham.

Van der Vaart probably wasn't here long enough to be seriously considered for a best-ever Spurs 11. Both Gazza and Bale spent more time in other positions, but both were (close to?) world class when they played behind the striker, so have to be in the mix.

I'll end up voting for Sheringham though I suspect. Unless I read something that convinces me otherwise.

(I didn't consider Keane for this role because I tend to agree with GB; he was infinitely better as the furthest man forward, and - at his best - his box-play was sublime... very underrated in my view. No way will he win the vote for striker in a 4-2-3-1, but that's the short-list he's earned a place on - IMO).

Do we have any other names in the frame?

Gascoigne
Sheringham
Bale
Gilzean
Peters
White
Van der Vaart

Blanchflower, and tell him and Hoddle to be fluid.

I'd have Modric, then he can swap with Hoddle.

Another vote for Blanchflower in the fluid formation.

As has been pointed out, we have to adjust to prior (not Priory, although there are a few candidates) selections. Hoddle beating out Blanchflower provides extra choices here. I'm leaning to one of White and Peters. White is on reputation and all the talk about how special he was. Peters on the world cup win and his part in the team I first appreciated.

On that note, my first game was a birthday present, a midweek evening against Wolves. It was a draw but the players got to parade a nice, silver, shiny thing. Jennings, Knowles and Perryman were part of that team and already selected. The others were Kinnear, England, Beal, Mullery, Coates, Peters, Gilzean and Chivers. All will have got a mention in this series of choices. Actually Chivers hasn't yet and will surely be mention for cente forward, so Coates still needs a mention (left wing?).

Do we have any other names in the frame?

Gascoigne
Sheringham
Bale
Gilzean
Peters
White
Van der Vaart

Not Bale for me. He only played a couple of months in that position, whereas he'll be a walk in at LW (Ginola and Dyson the only real competition there)

I find it interesting that one or two people seem to rate Peters higher than Gilzean.

I got the impression Peters was slightly past his best with us, whereas Gilzean was a mainstay/Greaves' main foil for a good decade?

Bale should be in the poll. He commanded a world record fee on the strength of his performances for us in the number 10 position.

I'll still probably vote for him on the left, mind you.

Bale should be in the poll. He commanded a world record fee on the strength of his performances for us in the number 10 position.

Agreed he should be in the poll, exceptional for us, now one of the best players in the world.

He's not as good as Gazza was though.

Gascoigne was bought and sold for record fees in his day too. So was Greaves

Back